The way people talk these days - esp news items

kes

I may be just getting grumpy but I seriously dislike the current way of apparently raising a question at the end of each sentence - started in Aus. I also cannot abide the sing-songy way that Americans, particularly women, talk about everyday items.
I admit I am one of life's extended sentence people, love the intellect in precision and that Victorian way of speaking. I also value the British understatement and hate emotional rants - maybe I should emigrate to France - do they have deer over there ?

No, no deer in France at all. Also full of young people with their funny trousers, and hippety hoppety music, funny ideas and poor spelling.

They definitely do emotional rants over there too!

But if you don't speak French you will not know if they are ranting of not ........... Just a thought plus in the EU superstate not being able to speak the countries language is no longer an issue.

Emigrate to France? You find the way Australians speak annoying? So you prefer the Victorian way of speaking? Like they do in Melbourne in Victoria then? Or Queen Victoria?

My son lives in South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria. he hates the way they do it too! Every sentence becomes a question! Imagine my son...he gets it everyday! Anyway here's Rex.....

I may be just getting grumpy but I seriously dislike the current way of apparently raising a question at the end of each sentence - started in Aus. I also cannot abide the sing-songy way that Americans, particularly women, talk about everyday items.
I admit I am one of life's extended sentence people, love the intellect in precision and that Victorian way of speaking. I also value the British understatement and hate emotional rants - maybe I should emigrate to France - do they have deer over there ?
Fully understand. Annoys the heck out if me too. Standards should be maintained.

I get a pedantic urge to pronounce the following words correctly when I hear them spoken as spelled:

Waistcoat, forehead, leeward, mainsail etc, gunwhale

Well Kes, if there are no deer in France as Pine Marten says, then there are no deer here in Aus either.
I am in the same boat as you, have three young grandaughters who drive me to distraction with that last word in the sentence intonation. Add that to the word "like" at the start of every sentence and I'm just about to explode. They all tell me I'm deaf because I ask them to repeat. That's not the case, they are just speaking a different language to the one I was taught.
Thank God we don't have to listen to Rex anymore, even I couldn't understand what was going on at the football. At least our ABC on radio and TV have kept up some standards. It won't help our youngsters though because they only listen to the local language stations.
Oh yes, they call me grumpy too.
Grant.

I have the 'fun habit' of, when I hear someone say "so and so "do ya know what I mean" I always interject with the words "which bit did you think I didn't understand ?"
Or when relating a conversation, they say instead of "he or she replied" they say "he or she went" I always ask where did they go or where did they went to ?
Apart from that.
I live in a rural area and the 'youth of today' run round with their trouser crotch nearly down to their knees and use a 'sort of' Cockney accent.
It makes me wonder what they are taught at school and how it is taught.

"Lets run this up the flagpole of ideas so we can move forward from this ".Translates as yes your right but im not going to admit im wrong how do i get out of this without looking a pratt.Office speak sucks ass :-|

Back