DSC1 Where do I start?

Lucky Sniper

Advice please. I am just starting out on the deer stalking path and want to know what I need to know to apply for a DSC1 Course. Is the course for absolute beginers and its all taught on the course or do I need to do some studying before applying, if so what do I need to study and were do I get the study material?

Last edited:
The course covers everything you need to know, the only thing you might want to be practiced at is deer identification and the all important shooting test, nothing scary, but it helps to be confident shooting. Good luck, it's a very good course.

Hi Luck sniper,
Give Paul at Barony on this site a PM he can give you all the info & confidence. As with a previous thread Barony is a great place to do your DSC1 and not that far from the west end of the A66. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Pete

Any CD's, DVD's , text books etc anyone can email me or point me in the right direction, it would be most appreciated.

Have a look at :

Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1 Training - Home learning

Very useful for cramming up. And the identification makes you think. The course is still useful and informative - although if you have experience you may want to just take the assessment. BDS do a VERY good DVD. I would certainly recommend :
DVD | Donington Deer Management

The gralloch DVD. I had seen a few (3) and had to do my FIRST time on my own - watching this DVD really made it possible.

Info is always out there - some will get you through the exam - other bits will be more useful :lol:

Any CD's, DVD's , text books etc anyone can email me or point me in the right direction, it would be most appreciated.

Hi I found Jelens interactive dvd extremely helpful, tell you what you can have mine with my compliments, just let me have your address and I will post it too you, only proviso is that you pass it on to another member starting out on DSC1 when you have passed. Hows that?

Best regards and happy swatting lol.

Hi I found Jelens interactive dvd extremely helpful, tell you what you can have mine with my compliments, just let me have your address and I will post it too you, only proviso is that you pass it on to another member starting out on DSC1 when you have passed. Hows that?

Best regards and happy swatting lol.

Sound a spot on deal mate. PM Inbound

Have a look at :

Very useful for cramming up. And the identification makes you think. The course is still useful and informative - although if you have experience you may want to just take the assessment. BDS do a VERY good DVD. I would certainly recommend :

The gralloch DVD. I had seen a few (3) and had to do my FIRST time on my own - watching this DVD really made it possible.

Info is always out there - some will get you through the exam - other bits will be more useful :lol:

Hi Lucky sniper-I can certainly agree with recommendation from Murray above regarding DSCorg link--good price per month,free trial and it saved my bacon when I did my level one-fantastic for deer recognition which I was pants at!
Best of luck to you also.

Have a look at :

I am finding the deer stalking home learning very very good
Before i started i did not have a clue i was getting about 30% right
But after a few times i am getting up in the 90's so much info and a greta site to use too very happy with it

Gary

Prepare and learn as much as possible before the course & assessments. Interactive DVD's and the BDS manual are all useful. Practice you rifle shooting as much as possible, I found dry firing to eliminate unnecessary movement and find the most comfortable positions beneficial. atb Tim

There is, of course, no legal requirement to have any DSC 1 to enjoy stalking and the money you spend on such would be better spent on few half days out with experienced stalkers (for the species you manily intend to hunt) taking you on accompanied stalks on various estates or concessions.

Or do you feel that learning to be, say, a chef is better learned from reading a series of recipes and menus from a book or on the iternet than by actual practical experience in a kitchen. You don't learn how to make a sugar cage for a dessert by learning a list of (its one) ingredient(s)!

Last edited:
There is, of course, no legal requirement to have any DSC 1 to enjoy stalking and the money you spend on such would be better spent on few half days out with experienced stalkers (for the species you manily intend to hunt) taking you on accompanied stalks on various estates or concessions.

Or do you feel that learning to be, say, a chef is better learned from reading a series of recipes and menus from a book or on the iternet than by actual practical experience in a kitchen. You don't learn how to make a sugar cage for a dessert by learning a list of (its one) ingredient(s)!

I agree with the above and don't agree as well :doh: I found the gralloch DVD by David Stretton invaluable on solo stalking. You can learn a lot online and from books etc (otherwise there wouldn't be any cook books either) the online training teaches you more about recognition and how to pass the exam - but NOTHING beats experience.

But as a novice myself - I love the fact that I can research before going out. That way I DON'T muck up the shot (unless I can't shoot) I don't muck up the gralloch (unless I'm hamfisted with the knife) and I at least have some knowledge of best practice regarding hygiene. :D

Dont bother with any pre lev one coarse or cr ap like that just get in for the lev one full training and test and its a done deal.
Barony is the place to go they have first class staff.

That's true if you want to be a chef spending the rest of his life preparing an omelette in the canteen of the local football club. I can guarantee you that if you have only the slightest aspirations to do a bit more with your life, whether it is professional or not, you would like to dig a bit deeper in to the subject and that includes the theoratical side of it.

Last edited:
On the other hand....maybe the analogy I should have used in my original post was this.

It could be compared to the bloke in the pub that's been on the internet or bought his copies of "How To Pick Up Girls" and "How To Pick Up More Girls". They've all got them, most pubs, "Billy No Mates". Or usually...."Trevor".

I even checked and it REALLY is on the internet! http://www.wikihow.com/Pick-Up-a-Girl it's not just mail order, from the small ads in Marvel Comics next to advert for the "Sea Monkeys" now!

Now, this bloke in the pub hasn't actually EVER had any girlfriend, or, even actually "picked up" any girl. But he's read the books...and been on the internet as he can nowadays...and he'll always "chip in" over a pint with his expert advice.

Sorry but I think the OP would be better spending his money actually DOING some stalking, as a "rifle" with an experienced stalker, rather than getting a piece of paper that, without actually EVER having done any hunting somehow entitles him to call himself a "Trained Hunter".

Last edited:
Hi all, and thanks to the previous responders who mentioned my website, shucks, I'm starting to blush. The advice I give to all, and it's the basis on which my website was started, is to find the best learning method which suits you then go with that. Get a rounded education. Interactive stuff is great, but remember to read more such as the best practice guides (which are available free through my site) as well. You cannot learn safety in a theoretical setting, it needs practice for you to fully understand it, so get out and about with an experienced stalker ... and if that for you means an introductory course... then so be it ... and that goes for the shooting test as well. Good luck, keep us informed of your results! Cheers, Steve

Back