Wrong Headstamp Going abroad

Ade8mm

I have an 8 x 60r merkel double. As ammo for this calibre is unavailable in the UK I reform brass from 7x65 r brass.
Does anyone know what problems this will cause if travelling with this gun and ammo say to France on a hunting trip?
(I know you can get commercial 8 X 60r ammo in a number of European countries but I have worked up a load that regulates well in my rifle and would want to use that)

I have never had my ammo inspected, only been asked how many.
I'm not sure the customs guys/gals that do check, if they so decided to, would take that much interest in the headstamp anyway.

I have an 8 x 60r merkel double. As ammo for this calibre is unavailable in the UK I reform brass from 7x65 r brass.
Does anyone know what problems this will cause if travelling with this gun and ammo say to France on a hunting trip?
(I know you can get commercial 8 X 60r ammo in a number of European countries but I have worked up a load that regulates well in my rifle and would want to use that)

Given the cost of most overseas hunting trips and the jobs worth nature of customs / police etc, I would some properly stamped brass for overseas travel. I have mail ordered empty unloaded and un primed brass from the continent with no problems.

Given the cost of most overseas hunting trips and the jobs worth nature of customs / police etc, I would some properly stamped brass for overseas travel. I have mail ordered empty unloaded and un primed brass from the continent with no problems.

Good idea, but Ade8mm has reworked brass and is quite happy with it, hence the question.

Good idea, but Ade8mm has reworked brass and is quite happy with it, hence the question.

Understood - should have added - keep the reworked 7x65r brass for everyday shooting and save the properly head stamped stuff for overseas trips.

Thanks for the responses. I would love to get some properly head-stamped brass. Over the years I have made many attempt to source some. I am of the of the opinion that it is impossible, hence the original post. (mind you I would be delighted toe be proved wrong!) Ade..

It's a problem if you go to hunt in Portugal or Russia - both insist on rifle ammunition that is head stamped to match the calibre you are importing.

Every time we fly into Portugal with rifles the police officer at Lisbon airport checks each round on the way in and on the way out again. It's the only European country where anyone has even looked at the ammunition but we were warned that if the calibre details didn't match, the ammunition would not be allowed in.

​In Russia it is usually another reason to solicit bribes in US dollars...

By the way, Browning still list 8x60R ammunition (I think it is made for them by RWS) and Privi Partizan still make brass for it as one of their limited production calibres. It was a fairly standard round in Portugal for a while - sort of a magnum version of their 8x57R Mauser.

Midway UK list 8x60 rimmed s Mauser Brass with a 30 day special order. £66.95 for 20 though!!!!!:eek: They state it is correctly Headstamped.

Yorkie.

By way of clarification my rifle is 8 x 60 JRS. It was originally 8 x 57 JR. After the First World War the Treaty of Versailles forbad Germans (apart from a small militia) from owning military calibre rifles (such as 8 x 57). Jerry got round this by re-chambering (an extra 3mm length) and in some cases increasing the bore from .318 JR bore to .323 JRS (or J to JS if the rimless counterpart). My old rifle predates the great war and was thus re-chambered/re-bored.

There is lots of confusion surrounding older 8mm rifles but that is part of the fascination I suppose.. Ade

Hi Ade,

Karl at Alpinhunting is showing 8x60RS brass at 96 odd euros for 50

alpinhunting.com -

I've bought bullets from him before without problem and he now takes P'pal if you don't go over the £100 mark.... otherwise CaxtonFX for payment direct. I couldn't get through the website ordering process as it didn't calculate the shipping element and we organised it through emails. Paid him on receipt.

Sometimes takes a couple of days to respond to emails but usually because he's out doing what we all like to do.

Cheers

​Fizz

Back