338 lapua magnum

swarovski

After my recent range day knocking over the targets at 1800yds ive got magnumitis lol, whats the best affordable very accurate 338lm would you advise me to go for

Savage makes an accurate one. I hovered around buying one until I saw the price of brass!! I recently shot a suppressed Remington 700 that was very accurate.~Muir

Addendum: I don't know what 338 LAP brass runs for there, but here, even the lowly Hornady variety runs $90/50 cases. Lapua is $249/100 cases. PPU loaded ammo works out cheapest at $49 /20 loaded ctgs. I have eyeballed a 2nd hand Savage in the Trading Post for the longest time. It was traded in by a fellow who couldn't afford to shoot it. Most 2nd hand 338 LAPs have been shot very little for that same reason.~Muir

Addendum: I don't know what 338 LAP brass runs for there, but here, even the lowly Hornady variety runs $90/50 cases. Lapua is $249/100 cases. PPU loaded ammo works out cheapest at $49 /20 loaded ctgs. I have eyeballed a 2nd hand Savage in the Trading Post for the longest time. It was traded in by a fellow who couldn't afford to shoot it. Most 2nd hand 338 LAPs have been shot very little for that same reason.~Muir

Crikey Muir the guys in this country can only dream of such low prices, and you'r complaining. :lol:

I seem to remember someone complaining that factory ammo usually works out at £5 a round, what would that be in $ U.S.? It's certainly not a cheap gun to run and the other problem that we have is that there are only a few ranges in the whole of the country where you can use rifles in this calibre. I believe one or two people have been granted permission to use this calibre for stalking but they really are the exception to the rule and the number can probably be counted on one hand.

P.S. if £5 a round that equates to £100 a box which in dollars is $170.

Last edited:
I built myself one 5/6 years ago.

Surgeon XL action, PacNor tube, Mac A5 and it shot really really well.

However, even at trade prices, it cost me £2.50 every time I squeezed the trigger.

94 grains of H1000

300 grain SMK or lathe turned solids at £1.00 plus each

Brass was 260 / 100 back then, don't know what it is now.

90 p a shot, your guy is dreaming.

Think long and hard

Its a great calibre to own and shoot, if you have the range beyond 1000 to reach out.

I ended up selling mine as I shot it rarely, Ive a 375 on my ticket and id happily build one, but cost per shot is the issue...

After my recent range day knocking over the targets at 1800yds ive got magnumitis lol, whats the best affordable very accurate 338lm would you advise me to go for

A new Sako is on the market in .338. I read the write up in one of our hunting mags. Built for long range shooting. Look at, SAKO 85 Long Range Enjoy.

I ran a TRG 42 for a while , splendid rifle with outstanding accuracy out the box but maybe not as robust as the accuracy international 338's but I'm guessing you won't be throwing yourself out of airplanes into combat zones so the TRG will be robust enough ?

I had riflecraft build me a 300 Remington ultra mag to replace it when the utterly stoopid ban was introduced on the 338 , I'm launching a 208g amax at 3250fps which gets me to a mile before it goes subsonic , I've yet to shoot past a mile to see how the 208 amax behaves through the transonic zone?

with these large magnum long range calibres you will find that you tend not to shoot massive round counts per session and even lesser calibres if you are loading for extreme range then you will likely be using premium components so cost will be high anyway?

good luck and let us know how you get on?

ps , give 22lr a go at 300m + you will learn a lot!

Crikey Muir the guys in this country can only dream of such low prices, and you'r complaining. :lol:

I seem to remember someone complaining that factory ammo usually works out at £5 a round, what would that be in $ U.S.? It's certainly not a cheap gun to run and the other problem that we have is that there are only a few ranges in the whole of the country where you can use rifles in this calibre. I believe one or two people have been granted permission to use this calibre for stalking but they really are the exception to the rule and the number can probably be counted on one hand.

P.S. if £5 a round that equates to £100 a box which in dollars is $170.

I understand, but from where I stand, it still looks expensive. Especially considering the number of 'mouths' I'm feeding already. Like I said, i dance around buying one. Looked at Weatherby's new Vanguard 338 LAP @ $1800 a copy. Beautiful rifle but who wants a 338 LAP for hunting?? Silly.~Muir

A mate of mine had a trg 338 lap mag maybe 10 years ago.he had it on his ticket for deer and foxes.what sort of monex is it going to cost me per shot then.i havent looked into it yet.am still smiling from hitting 1800yd target

A mate of mine had a trg 338 lap mag maybe 10 years ago.he had it on his ticket for deer and foxes.what sort of monex is it going to cost me per shot then.i havent looked into it yet.am still smiling from hitting 1800yd target

Lapua scener 250gr are £62 a box (if you can find older stock)
Large rifle magnum primers are £42/1000
Powder n165 depending where you get it £65/KG
New brass around £300/100
Once fired about 0.50p

So approx, 38p powder, 62p projectile, 4.2p primer and then brass will be cheaper each reuse.

Mike

So not taking brass in to consideration

No different to the big stuff really like .405 win, .416 rigby etc
It ain't cheap but technically the more you shoot the cheaper it is what with reusing brass 'n all...

Not sure if this is a daft question, apart from hme why is the 338 lap mag not used in 1000yd br comps

You have an itch that needs scratching.

Buy the best .338 you can afford and have fun.

When that itch is scratched then move on to the next one. Life is too short not to :D. Also remember in this Country we do not know how long we will be doing this kind of thing.

Yorkie.

The Americans shoot a lot of long range and have an unrestricted choice of calibres. The 300 Win Mag was very popular but it's been steadily displaced by the 7mm and 6.5mm cartridges, then those are being displaced by the 6mm. It seems if you want accuracy alone, with no concern about terminal effects, then a 6.5-284 or a 6 XC will give better scores. I can't help wondering if the US ranges have less wind than ours..

a 6.5/7mm bullet at the same velocity running the same BC as the 338 projectile will match the trajectory and windage but with way less recoil , light recoil assists consistent shooting and remember the projectile only needs to get through a target ? the 338 was designed to deliver lethal energy accurately beyond the range of the sniper systems (usually 308 win) at the time , a job it does extremely well !

Back