Staining/colouring bleached, weathered deer antlers.

Bill Bartlett

Hi, guys - just wondered how many of you find it difficult to find the right stain for weathered and bleached or old antler sets. I often have customers asking me to colour and stain antlers that were taken in velvet, which after stripping have to be coloured up. In my opinion, stay well clear of the magic potions sometimes offered and as well all the wood stains. I use 100% natural materials to the best affect. I have seen and indeed had to rectify some horrors that were painted, boot polished and tea bagged....

tHAT TAKES TO LONG LOL
P1000846.jpg

Potassium Permanganate?

They do look good Monarch!

I realise this is an old post, but I remember from science classes that Potassium Permanganate turns water purple?

How do you apply to the antlers?
Do you mix with water and then paint on?
Do you rub it on the dry?
How many coats?

Any help would be appreciated, I have an old cull buck that I will practice on before I do any that I am really proud of.

Cheers

Ross

I used a small paint brush to get in the pearling channels, let it dry and then buff up with a normal stiff scrubbing brush or tooth brush.
The solution may be blue but the liquid stains/burns brown, the more you use and the longer you leave it on the darker it gets.

Excellent, just the info I need EMcC.

I will try my local chemist to see if they have any Potassium Permanganate, I will need to try and colour match as the buck I shot recently has a small amount of velvet around the coronets.

IMG00109-20110403-0749.jpg

Like I say I will practice on a 3 pointer buck before I tackle this new one.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Ross

Back