Tagged deer

The tramp

I've just had a 'discussion' with some young lass from 'Wiltshire Wildlife Hospital' about releasing foxes, who then turned around and said 'if you see any deer on the plain with tags on I can't shoot them as they are protected' !!! Really? I was of the understanding that a deer is only 'property' once dead, or while within an enclosure, ie, a deer park.
If this is correct, then how can a wild deer be 'protected'?

Id just like to point out that I don't shoot deer on the plain as that's 'DDM' territory, but I'm thinking if one of these so called 'tagged deer' (of which I have never seen one) comes 'off' the plain onto civvy land, what's the score ?
Are there really 'protected' deer out there ?

Is this some kind of 'local agreement' with the MOD? (If so, wouldn't apply on civvy land)

Is it tagged to indicate that it has been treated with 'bute' or similair 'not for food chain' drugs ? (In which case, could be shot, just not eaten)

Or is she just talking rubbish ?(which I strongly suspect)

regards
Pete

Last edited:
As a rule deer with tags normally define ownership or have been injected with medicines poisonous to humans.
Deer with tags within en-closed land is and will belong to the owner as i see it.
Escaped deer with tags although once owned could be classed now as wild and may be shot.
Its a bit of a mess re rights and wrongs but personally if i saw one with a tag i would not shoot it unless authorised/paid to do so.

Pete, there are a few Roe on SPTA that were either 'saved' from rta's or found caught in fences that have been tagged and released.
There is no law treating them any differently from any others but the DDM guys have agreed to report them when seen rather than cull them, unless for humane reasons that is necessary.
It is just an interest thing to see how far they travel and indeed how long they live, the ones I know of are all Does so no trophy to temp anybody.

Pete, there are a few Roe on SPTA that were either 'saved' from rta's or found caught in fences that have been tagged and released.
There is no law treating them any differently from any others but the DDM guys have agreed to report them when seen rather than cull them, unless for humane reasons that is necessary.
It is just an interest thing to see how far they travel and indeed how long they live, the ones I know of are all Does so no trophy to temp anybody.

Ok, cheers guys, I guess as I'd never seen one, it was all new to me, as is stalking of course, I will keep an eye open for tagged ones in the future now then, I see a few roe on some of the sched 1 I shoot over, but as I can't take deer there, then I don't look too closely at them, I can't be doing with some 'busybody' seeing me 'eyeing up' the deer in case they report it that I'm trying to shoot the little blighters lol. I'm guessing its an ear tag similair to cattle ?

Regards
Pete

Ok, cheers guys, I guess as I'd never seen one, it was all new to me, as is stalking of course, I will keep an eye open for tagged ones in the future now then, I see a few roe on some of the sched 1 I shoot over, but as I can't take deer there, then I don't look too closely at them, I can't be doing with some 'busybody' seeing me 'eyeing up' the deer in case they report it that I'm trying to shoot the little blighters lol. I'm guessing its an ear tag similair to cattle ? RegardsPete
Yep, big bright yellow one in the ear.

quite a few red in suffolk with ear tags now, its up to you if you shoot one and one or two have been shot upto 50 miles away. not sure any have reached salisbury yet
:D
norma

I can't remember the exact details, but last year the RSPCA (I think) scraped up an RTA Bambi and nursed it back to health. It was released, under license, in the North Norfolk area, complete with ear tags and I seem to remember a tracking collar :rolleyes:

It didn't last long, before the collar was found, sans deer.

Anyone tagging a deer and claiming ownership is taking a big risk. Once they are no longer "res nullis" the "owner" is responsible, e.g. if they are involved in an RTA the tagger will be liable for any compensation. Same as if a pet dog caused an accident. Or a tagged farm deer jumped the fence and did the same.

quite a few red in suffolk with ear tags now, its up to you if you shoot one and one or two have been shot upto 50 miles away. not sure any have reached salisbury yet
:D
norma

I think thats a research project in progress. After you've shot it your supposed to read the instructions on the tag and post it back.

Slightly off the thread but....
Not sure if it's still the case but a couple of years ago the MOD in Dorset had a number of Sika fitted with tracking collars at Lulworth ranges..... Neck collars if I remember rightly.

Slightly off the thread but.... Not sure if it's still the case but a couple of years ago the MOD in Dorset had a number of Sika fitted with tracking collars at Lulworth ranges..... Neck collars if I remember rightly.
​Yep, Still being monitored.

Back