Help with bullet drop please

.17 Remington

Being as thick as a castle wall and lazy to boot I would like some help please ok here we go I have just purchased a .308 and have a Burris Eliminator scope for its back i have bought some PPU ammo which according to the PPU site the bullet does 1968 fps at 300 with a 15" drop can anyone tell me what the drop would be at 750 (i do not have this range local to me ) as i need to know this to enable me to programme the scope

Being as thick as a castle wall and lazy to boot I would like some help please ok here we go I have just purchased a .308 and have a Burris Eliminator scope for its back i have bought some PPU ammo which according to the PPU site the bullet does 1968 fps at 300 with a 15" drop can anyone tell me what the drop would be at 750 (i do not have this range local to me ) as i need to know this to enable me to programme the scope

Dont trust the info on either the ammo box or manufacturer website. For accuracy you need to chronograph the round in your rifle.

Ballistics Calculator - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Have a play on the Hornaday Ballistics Chart. You'll need to know or at least have a vague idea about what you're shooting but it's quite an interesting tool to play with. It doesn't replace real world testing but it gives you an idea. And it lets you print a cheat sheet so you can quickly look up what you're wanting to do compared to what you're doing.

I'd be genuinely interested in how this all pans out at the range. Could you let us know where your first three shots land at 750? This seems like a necessary exercise in accumulated best guess data to achieve a best guess result. (Not a criticism: I've done it myself at various times.) I shoot a lot of 308 and I take very precise readings of velocities and calculate actual ballistic coefficients for my location -and seldom will I be right on using these numbers without re-calculating for the environmental conditions on the specific day of shooting. A MOA at 750 is over 7.5 inches and add shooter error?? It's made for some frustrating shooting but, every once in a while, It works quite well. Just curious.~Muir

Yes, air density and humidity can have a MOA of difference at 750 yards. Also, a .308 Win with any 150-gr bullet is beyond its limits... by about 150 yards. That is the territory of 168, 175 and 155-gr match bullets. In field work, the practice would be to sight in long range ( even if not a zero but a using a holdover mark ), and then shoot to find the adjustments down for closer ranges, using external turrets.

750 is what Burris say you have to find your drop at i wish it was 250 but it has to be what they recommend i may well just buy one of the listed brands and be done with it save myself headache

Back