Muntjac doe with pedicals?

Blue400

View attachment 13302View attachment 13303View attachment 13304View attachment 13305View attachment 13306

See above, whilst stalking munjac yesterday in sunny Bedford i shot what i thought was a mature buck? or so i thought. When i went to gralloch it i was to say the least confused, what no laughing tackle. To my surprise what i had shot was in fact a mature doe with full pedicles with about 1 inch of antler growth covered in skin and canine teeth, 1 fully developed and 1 about half the size.
So, there are dedicated muntjac guys on this site , how rare or common is this trait in muntjac? I know roe does sometimes produce pedicles and some even antlers. comments please?

atb blue....

Last edited:
Wow. Shot hundreds of munties, never seen this. What was her tooth wear like? Was she old?

Amazing.

A new one on me too,I would like to see the skull clean Blue mate,so get some pics up when it's done.

M

Not sure if Charles Smith-Jones is on the forum but I am sure he would love to hear about this. I will PM you his contact details if you like?

A new one on me too,I would like to see the skull clean Blue mate,so get some pics up when it's done.

M
i will post some pics of the skull, what is left of it, head shot on one side but i will keep it regardless.

atb blue.

Last edited:
Could this be a part hermaphrodite? I've seen plenty of pheasants which appear half and half. Even humans can be born with it so I can't see why it can't happen to deer too?

Could this be a part hermaphrodite? I've seen plenty of pheasants which appear half and half. Even humans can be born with it so I can't see why it can't happen to deer too?

That would go further to explain the tusks.

I thought to be a true hermaphrodite it would need to display both male and female organs?

blue.

I guess, but maybe you can explain antler growth in a female by a testosterone imbalance but how do you explain tthe growth of tusks? It seems to me that it would have had them from birth.

I guess, but maybe you can explain antler growth in a female by a testosterone imbalance but how do you explain tthe growth of tusks? It seems to me that it would have had them from birth.

To be honest, I haven't a clue.
atb blue.

Never seen anything like this before - fascinating.

You might also want to drop a PM to Morena here on the site. I've not seen him around for a while but he was/is the site's resident vet. He would, I am sure, be interested.

willie_gunn

Managing an alien species.

View attachment 13302View attachment 13303View attachment 13304View attachment 13305View attachment 13306

See above, whilst stalking munjac yesterday in sunny Bedford i shot what i thought was a mature buck? or so i thought. When i went to gralloch it i was to say the least confused, what no laughing tackle. To my surprise what i had shot was in fact a mature doe with full pedicals with about 1 inch of antler growth covered in skin and canine teeth, 1 fully developed and 1 about half the size.
So, there are dedicated muntjac guys on this site , how rare or common is this trait in muntjac? I know roe does sometimes produce pedicals and some even antlers. comments please?

atb blue....
Hi ,blue before you shot it , was it walking or springing up and down like lambsy out of the cartoons ,if it was it is definitely Bi , do not eat the meat or you might end up the same , nice pics very interesting.

Back