Ideal Muntjac Rifle

scrumbag

Hello folks,

I was wondering, what do people regard as a rifle specifically for muntjac?

Would it be akin to a foxing rifle in .22CF?
A light handling lever action?
Something else?

Be interesting to hear people's thoughts.

ATB,

Scrummy

No actually, was just a convo I was having with a buddy of mine and we came to very different conclusions.

(You however need a .22CF stutzen ASAP)

Scrummy

If I was to spec a rifle purely for Muntjac, I'd spec it around a particular bullet that I wanted to use, let's say something in the region of a 65gr BTSP in 224, if such a beast exists.

I would end up with a heavy sporter with in a fast twist 223 or 22BR with a 20" barrel.

A Blaser barrel in 12 twist 22/250 might also stabilise a 65 gr bullet, it will certainly shoot a 60gr.

I'd stay away from 50-55gr BT's.

Beautiful .
If I owned a rifle like that I'd be scared stiff of taking it out in case it got damaged.

If I was to spec a rifle purely for Muntjac, I'd spec it around a particular bullet that I wanted to use, let's say something in the region of a 65gr BTSP in 224, if such a beast exists.

I would end up with a heavy sporter with in a fast twist 223 or 22BR with a 20" barrel.

A Blaser barrel in 12 twist 22/250 might also stabilise a 65 gr bullet, it will certainly shoot a 60gr.

I'd stay away from 50-55gr BT's.

I wish we could find a 60-65gr BTSP from the factory over here! I've used with some success the 56gr Geco ballistic tip in .223 on munties without any horrible carcass damage but would prefer a soft point.

What for exactly? I already have a better than average selection of stutzens! And both the 7x57R and the 7mm-08 deal with everything I shoot at very nicely already.

To sit between you .22lr Stutzen and your 7-08 Stutzen of course...

I wouldn't go down the small centre fire route personally. Muntjac are very tough little deer, probably more so than Roe!
Whilst a small centre fire such as you suggest will easily kill either species, the way they kill can cause problems. High velocity rounds, especially frangible ones cause a lot of meat damage and trauma. A muntjac is a small compact animal and a standard chest shot using such bullets will invariably burst the rhumen as it is so close. It will be fine for shoulder shots but again you will write-off the front end. Perfect for head or neck shots though. A larger slower bullet with controlled expansion will kill them and normally give you a better end product.
MS

My 7 mm is my go to gun for all deer but I've shot half a dozen Muntys with my .222 and 22-250 and 50 gr sp ( many more with larger cals) and all dropped just fine if I remember correctly only two were chest shot the rest head / neck

Last edited:
I wouldn't go down the small centre fire route personally. Muntjac are very tough little deer, probably more so than Roe!
Whilst a small centre fire such as you suggest will easily kill either species, the way they kill can cause problems. High velocity rounds, especially frangible ones cause a lot of meat damage and trauma. A muntjac is a small compact animal and a standard chest shot using such bullets will invariably burst the rhumen as it is so close. It will be fine for shoulder shots but again you will write-off the front end. Perfect for head or neck shots though. A larger slower bullet with controlled expansion will kill them and normally give you a better end product.
MS

OK. They can be had in 308 too:
http://www.waffen-pfandleihhaus.de/beschreibungen/n903.html

K

My 7 mm is my go to gun for all deer but I've shot half a dozen Muntys with my .222 and 50 gr sp and all dropped just fine if I remember correctly only two were chest shot the rest head / neck

7mm what Jimbo? Use a 7x64 myself

What do you mean "only" ​a 7mm-08? It's the deerstalking round of the Enlightened.
Well I didn't want to sound big headed but yes now you come to mention it your absolutely right :) ha ha
ps read your article in ST well done a great read
Atb Jim

ps read your article in ST well done a great read
Atb Jim

Thanks Jim! I'm now working on placing one in the French press and working up something for ST again, but I need to make sure it's right for them. I have an idea in mind, but there's no point in rushing things, it needs to tick all the boxes...

Back