4X4 trucks...Would you own one if you didn't need it ?

Lightyear

If you didn't actually need a 4x4 truck to use off-road as part of our sport, recreation or professionally would you actually own one ??

Just a thought as they tend to be..

slow

not best on road / motorways

costly for fuel

costly for tax

costly for insurance

do not offer any more space that a family saloon in terms of space.

Any thoughts appreciated...

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

If you can afford one it's a far better machine than just a car. There have been far too many times since I got rid of my 4x4 that I wish I hadn't but I simply can't afford the fuel, £20 running out and back to a 'local' bit and I only do my foxing now if i'm running about in a farm vehicle having drove over in my car.

Agreed. Pointless if you dont 'need' one.

Hmmm! .... I don't "need" to have a two seater sports car.... but I do. Pleasure is a "point" in itself, isn't it?

I reckon even if I didn't strictly "need" a 4x4 (which I kindof really do) I'd still probably look for a good reason to own one... Having said that the kind I wouldn't ever want to own is the kind that never actually needs to engage 4 wheel drive.

As for saving the planet... I belong in the Jeremy Clarkson camp... If we really want to save the planet we just shouldn't breed. Problem solved in a generation. Other than that, there's a lot more you can do to benefit both the planet and mankind than give up your fourwheel drive. Like buy local produce (better still produce and recycle your own stuff) give up on overseas holidays (especially flights) use less domestic power, take a shower or bath when you're actually dirty and not just because you feel the need to clart yourself up with some hideous body lotion or other or stink the house out with scented candles... etc, etc.

ps. When I am organised... which is not all of the time... my 4x4 runs on homemade bio-diesel that I make from waste cooking oil from a local restaurant... It's fun and cheap.

As for saving the planet... I belong in the Jeremy Clarkson camp... If we really want to save the planet we just shouldn't breed. Problem solved in a generation.

csl in agreement with Tamus shocker! :eek:

The single most destructive thing the average person can do to the planet is have a child (as you are also responsible for all further generations from that child and the resources they will use). A point that was utterly lost on the scraggy hippy woman I saw dragging two toddlers around Bristol city centre sticking leaflets on 4X4's :lol:

I have to admit I would love to have one. I live in a rural location and it would be handy and fun to go shooting in something that would allow me some better access on some of my shoots and save me a bit of carrying time and effort.

However, I need a car to drive a minimum of 22 miles a day for work and for family use and just can not afford / justify the cost.

I have always hankered for a Hilux Surf.....But I couldn't use that on a daily basis, it would bankrupt me !!!

Thanks for you input chaps.

Philip

Yes I would have one. It's the question as would you buy a expensive rifle when a cheap one does the same job, as to saving the planet, Speak to the Indians and Chinese as anything that happens in the uk makes no difference as long as they continue to grow there industrys.

yes mine isn't that more uneconomical than our 1,4 petrol engined car, it can and does fit more people in it legally,it is a damm site more reliable and safe !it's 18 yrs old and still going strong

I do miss the V8 rumble in the mornings, but not being able to see the fuel gauge move on the motorway!

If it wasnt for my sport there is no way I'd have one.

Its probably the only thing I can fit 4 stalkers, 4 rifles and kit, an great big GSP half a dozen Fallow (hopefully) and tow a quad bike. I've got a latest shape L200 its quick for a truck and being a pickup all the dog and deer smells,creepy crawlies ect are seperate I can take the seat covers off and go out for a pint in a clean shirt. Downside 30mpg and I miss having a quick car but hey then I would have lots of speeding tickets.

It would need a complete change of lifestyle, work & location for me not have a 4 x4 , in fact that only thing that I would consider replacing it with has 4 legs and that unfortunately is way beyond what I can afford. atb Tim

XTech Land Rover

Best thing I ever bought, sold my BMW, which would sit in the driveway for three months during the winter,

That's the JOB!

XTech.jpg

A lot of self emploted and small business owners run them as they are classed as commercial in a lot of cases and so you get the vat back, a big saving on a £20k car...

I have just gotten rid of my discovery and, after much consideration, bought a Subaru Outlander which is pretty much a 4x4 estate car with a bit more ground clearance. I can park it in underground car parks,it does twice the MPG of the Disco, is a damn site quicker and the road tax is cheaper. I am sure it wouldn't go everywhere the Disco went, but I dont go out in the wilds much, and it dealt with the recent ice and snow commendably and has plenty of room in the back for al the kit we convince ourselves we need (and then leave in the car).

Back