Annual Swap hunt with Wayne Davies for Roebucks -Part 1-

Hello everybody!

Also its already a couple of weeks ago, I guess its time for a little write up about my already "traditional" and annual (lucky as I am ....!) swap hunt for roebucks with my good friend Wayne Davies:

Mate, first of all, sorry for my delay, but you know about the busy days back home....

OK, here we go now:

Leaving Germany by 4° C and awful rainy weather, I arrived in the UK, being touched by the sun, blue sky and almost 20° C already!

I should have trusted the forecast this time and had to realize that I would probably be well "overdressed" with lovely, relyable, but too bloody warm stalking clothes:doh:.

The gent Mr. D. is, I got picked up at the airport (sorry Wayne, the ticket wasnt worth it..) and after a not too bad ride we arrived at Waynes house, where I received another warm welcome by his missus and got a bit of time to settle in.

A bit later we got on the car and took the drive to "the sheepfarm", to give it a try for the first evening...

When arriving it was my turn to open and close several gates, which ended up with some big fun for my stalking guide, watching and filming me, dealing with shiploads of sheep, all of them tempted to escape or at least realizing our truck as a very welcome food delivery service...Somehow we got out of it and arrived on the ridge, ready for a first look around.:eek:

Sure enough we spotted a doe, followed by a buck, crossing a field a couple of hedgerows further away...
We got ready and off we went.
I guess it took me maybe 2 minutes to get sweatty already, not the best choice of pants I guessed again.
We had to sneak around another doe, spotted the buck, chasing the doe, not offering a safe shot and then disappearing over the ridge...
We carefully continued, reached the top and spotted the buck, bedded down in a safe position only about 65 meters away.
I got the rifle on the sticks and as he got up, the tiny Blaser K95 in 6.5, dropped him stonedead.

Another great start, a nice cull buck to take, so happy and pleased already!

DSC02413-1.jpg

After gralloching and the walk back to the car, it got really dark, so time to get home, a couple of cold drinks and a quick snore, before being out again ...

Well done with the buck. If you are over long enough you will find that the clothes will come handy at some point unfortunately.

£50 parking fine at Birmingham airport, for stopping for 30 seconds "*******s" but worth every penny to see the panic on Michaels face as he was swamped by a flock of bottle fed lambs thinking it was feed time, he thought they were running for the open gate I realised what was happening and was sat in the truck ****ing myself laughing trying to work out how to use the camera on my new phone :lol:

£50 parking fine at Birmingham airport, for stopping for 30 seconds "*******s" but worth every penny to see the panic on Michaels face as he was swamped by a flock of bottle fed lambs thinking it was feed time, he thought they were running for the open gate I realised what was happening and was sat in the truck ****ing myself laughing trying to work out how to use the camera on my new phone :lol:

Michael looks like a kid in a Candy store!!

Waidmannsheil Michael!

Wayne, I hope you are successful in your Alpine stalk this year.

Thanks Conor doesn't look like its going to happen again I'm afraid, two poorly parents don't think I will be going anywhere for a while.

Atb

Wayne

Back