Foxing in snow

yep, Just got a dog I have been after for days, 06:30 and did not even need the lamp :). Big bugger too.

Never done any good at all Foxin in snow in over ten years shot only a handful with snow on the ground .?

same as you doug, n.hants foxes dont like cold...
still up and down to essex, at the mo mate. going this morning but the old girl is still hanging on.
had our beat shoot mon 14th, chucked it down with snow all day but it was a very good day out.
keep well ill be in touch.
regards mark.

n.hants foxes dont like cold...

This boy does not like the cold now. Great thing about the snow is I got this chap last night without having to use the lamp,

fox_002.jpg

No snow down here hoping to get some this Friday so we can have a good go at charlie

I've had some good foxing in the snow on moolight nights with a remote caller 60yds out in the field. I park the truck in a gap in a tall overgrown hedge and sit and wait.My best night was 4 in 3 hours parked in the same spot. Its interesting to watch how they behave without a lamp on them and I've had them come in from behind me almost going under the back of the truck.

Never tried it, but the old man just informed me he went out yesterday round our permission in Suffolk and had a few. Didnt use the lamp as the moon and snow illuminated the ground nicely. He did say however that they could definitely see you coming a LONG way off. Also added that they made much more of an effort than normal to get around you if they could make you out.
However, he may just have been elaborating!!

It helps to wear a painters disposable suit over your normal gear with some camo effect added with a black indelible marker, let the imagination run riot, it is just to break up your outline.
Martin

We got none at present but fingers crossed for tonight/Friday. We have had excellent results on snow, esp with a clear night, no need to use lamp. Also very good for removing foxs close to residential areas as the soft snow just absorbs the report. Last time we had snow we shot a couple of pairs with a .204 and had one come racing over some plough. Also one great dusk staking out a fox off a steep bank as it went towards a chicken house. Watched it for hundreds of yards through the bins as it came diagonally across a huge field. When it stopped to mark its terrirory it collided with a 60 grn v max, a most satisfactory shot.

Am tingling with the thought of getting out this weekend on the snow.

I will walk miles and it also gives you a good idea of all the used fox and roe runs.

D

Off up to Scotland this weekend, camping out on our stalking spot & just secured another farm for foxing which gives us something to do when it goes dark. Looking forward to christening the
.17 HMR / pulsar N550 set up.
Wingy

just got back from a trip in the snow having just taken one fox, the snow can be a really usfull tool as long as you use your loaf if your thinking about it tramping around with a lamp generaly isnt going to work so all i do is chuck an old white blanket overmyself sit up in a likly spot and start sqweaking but not a normal sqweak just s series of short 3 sec sqweaks followed by a gap of about 10-15secs maybe a little longer and stop sqweaking when you see the fox and i do this so as the fox dosnt work out where you are because if you can see him he can see you and it all works for me so i cant see it being any differnt anywhere else

Well I just got in, saw one in the woods but no safe shot before he legged it across the boundary, then after a good mooch, as I was heading back to the car, there was one mooching around about 480yds away, one quick squeak, and she came at me fast, as she dropped into the dead ground(only a tiny dip, could just about see her), I took the oppourtunity to crouch down and ready the rifle, as she cleared the dead ground, and stopped for a look/sniff, that was her last breath as the 20gr hollow point struck the boiler house. She was a big, good conditioned girl, and I figured she might be carrying some cubs, so I stripped her tail then slit her belly, 4 cubs, almost ready to drop, so to remove 5 in one shot was a bonus, the farmer had said there were two up there, saw one, shot one, so back up early in the morning to see if the dog is about. All done without a lamp, I love snow foxing. And I'm sure this was the one who has always done a runner under a lamp so a good job done :)

atb

Pete

im thinking of trying foxs in snow over the weekend, is it best to sit in hind and call them in, or just lamp as normall
what caller do you use? i have a old one but the call doesnt sound high enough pitch to me

Back