Pick up my lab pup tomorrow BUT !!

Fifestalker25

What about the weather. Pouring with rain today up here in scotland and looks like the same for tomorrow when i pick him up. The pup is 8weeks, do i put him in the kennel with the weather crap or keep him in the utility room until it brightens up. Hes kenneld at the moment but with his siblings and a think i would feel quite bad with him outside when the weathers like this. What do yous think. Thanks
FS25

Inside, 10000%. They need warmth, comfort and lots of support at that point. there's no second first impressions as they say.

Was thinking that mate, prob wait until hes between 4 and 6 mnths. Will put him out for a bit during the day though to familiar himself with it. Thanks for a sensible reply.
FS25

I always keep my pups close by at 8 weeks to help ensure a good bond and because I start training them immediately with sit, down and fetch. But if need be, your pup would be fine in the kennel as long as there is shelter and a dry warm bed. Usually a dogbox so they can warm the space with their own body heat. I know many a working dog that have never been in the house. They only leave the kennel for excercise and work. But personally, I love to nap on the couch with a puppy snoozing on my chest. Enjoy your new pup Fife!

Was thinking that mate, prob wait until hes between 4 and 6 mnths. Will put him out for a bit during the day though to familiar himself with it. Thanks for a sensible reply.
FS25

You may well find it a lot harder to get him used to the kennel at 6 month old after being kept in the house. To me that would be a bigger shock to the system. Do you have any other dogs outside in the kennels already?

You are going to be faced with that many opinions that it wont really help at all, but personally I would have him outside immediately. Bring him into the house when it suits but back out at night to 'his' space. You are also reaffirming that you are in charge and its up to you when he gets his freedom. May sound daft but its all part of the pecking order being established, especially if you have kids or a wife who is just going to spoil him regardless! :lol:

Its 10deg here today, that is not cold providing its out of any breeze in a well built wooden kennel for a lab pup. The acclimatising by being outside will stand him well for working in all conditions in the future and ensure a good casting and re-growth of coat in the different seasons...

The pup is 8weeks

I'd have him inside, for a few weeks at least. He's at a very impressionable stage from 8-12 weeks and it's a good chance to form a really strong bond with him. If he's ultimately to go in a kennel, I'd suggest getting a puppy crate/cage and using that as his living quarters in the house for a few weeks, it will make for an easier transition when he's ready to go outside.

You may well find it a lot harder to get him used to the kennel at 6 month old after being kept in the house. To me that would be a bigger shock to the system. Do you have any other dogs outside in the kennels already?

You are going to be faced with that many opinions that it wont really help at all, but personally I would have him outside immediately. Bring him into the house when it suits but back out at night to 'his' space. You are also reaffirming that you are in charge and its up to you when he gets his freedom. May sound daft but its all part of the pecking order being established, especially if you have kids or a wife who is just going to spoil him regardless! :lol:

Its 10deg here today, that is not cold providing its out of any breeze in a well built wooden kennel for a lab pup. The acclimatising by being outside will stand him well for working in all conditions in the future and ensure a good casting and re-growth of coat in the different seasons...

Did have a spaniel but had to put him down so the pup will be alone at night. Im an estate worker so live where i work so will be back and forward throughout the day untill he gets his jags and can come to work. The kennel is an old out building which i have made a box bed inside so its all draft free ect. Just didnt want to see the poor wee thing standing at the kennel door with the rain dripping down lol. Will see what the weathers like tomorrow. Cheers

Did have a spaniel but had to put him down so the pup will be alone at night. Im an estate worker so live where i work so will be back and forward throughout the day untill he gets his jags and can come to work. The kennel is an old out building which i have made a box bed inside so its all draft free ect. Just didnt want to see the poor wee thing standing at the kennel door with the rain dripping down lol. Will see what the weathers like tomorrow. Cheers

An 8 week old pup is an expert at pulling the heart strings, they even make doing a crap on the kitchen floor look cute... :lol:

I've seen it -10 and the dogs being happier outside than inside,start as you mean to go on,labs have a good coat,it's mild at this time of year,as long as the pup is dry and draft free no problem chuck it outside you'll have a better dog at the end of it.

Mine have always gone straight into the kennel. They've never set foot inside the house. At least the rain will keep him in the kennel and not stood at the gate barking!!

Mine have always gone straight into the kennel. They've never set foot inside the house. At least the rain will keep him in the kennel and not stood at the gate barking!!
As long as he has sence to go in his bed and not stand at the door. A will see how it goes.

What about the weather. Pouring with rain today up here in scotland and looks like the same for tomorrow when i pick him up. The pup is 8weeks, do i put him in the kennel with the weather crap or keep him in the utility room until it brightens up. Hes kenneld at the moment but with his siblings and a think i would feel quite bad with him outside when the weathers like this. What do yous think. Thanks
FS25

Inside/outside will not matter a jot to the health of the puppy
As a lab will cope with the recent weather spell no bother
But my thoughts on it are
I keep all my dogs in the house for the first few months , well untill they house trained atleast
From there they will be kennelled
So I keep a clean kennel and also when ever I go anywhere to stay the dogs can go with no problems
I also over the years never had a dog that did not cope with the transition from house life to kennel life
Infact my latest springer Snipe was housed untill he was 4 but now 3 years on luvs his kennel
Infact he just luvs outdoor life
Being in the house does help with the bonding process in the owners mind
But kennelling helps the dog to bond with the one person
it is always a tough decision but make sure any neighbours know you hav a new pup as it may howl for several days/nights untill it settles
But I personally prefer the house training method
By the way
Congrats on the new pup
But there is no better bonding with a working dog than when you start shooting over them
As they soon realise where their loyalties lye

Last edited:
Hi putting him strait into kennel would not be a problem for him,keep him in the house and your in for a few long nights with him howling.I would put him strait into kennel always have with mine never had a problem in over thirty years.
cheers
Jim

Back