Bruise to face when shooting my shotgun, Why does this happen

Trufflehunting

I would be guessing that the stock does not suit me.
Question is this because its to long, short or another reason.
If you know the answer please reply

Many thanks TH

I would think this is because your not holding it correctly. possibly after the first shot it moves and you shot again without putting it back where it should be.

Andy7mm

You need to get someone that knows about gun fit to check it out. You can't answer it here without seeing you and the gun together.

It could be gun mount, or the gun's LOP, cast, drop or simply the stock profile that is not right for you.

I had a 12g Lincoln and it didn't fit properly so after I fired a few shots I kept getting a badly bruised shoulder and face. The shotgun was just to big for me, so I got some of the stock altered to suit a recoil pad added this stopped my face and shoulder getting bruised.

stacey

You need to get someone that knows about gun fit to check it out. You can't answer it here without seeing you and the gun together.

It could be gun mount, or the gun's LOP, cast, drop or simply the stock profile that is not right for you.

Correct sir best advice I've seen. Regards pete

Like its been said already, the gun doesn't fit or when firing, you aren't mounting properly.

This is probably too hard to explain properly without physically showing but I'll give it a go..... A very basic way to gauge if a stock is too long or short is to place the butt into the hinge (elbow joint) and place your finger onto the trigger. A correct fit is when your finger reaches the trigger and you are able to place your first joint of the trigger finger on the trigger. If you are able to wrap your finger around the trigger completely its TOO SHORT and likewise, if you have to stretch your forearm to comfortably get your finger onto the trigger its TOO LONG.

This is a very simple and crude way of checking but I would advise you to go to a shooting ground or good gun shop and get them to check the guns fit.

Another factor may be cartridge choice, if you are shooting a heavy load it can very often make the gun 'bounce' thus bruising your face. I had that problem with my Beretta Ultralight, I've had the gun checked by a shooting coach and it fits me perfect. I can shoot any cartridge load up to 30g but anything over that knocks the s*** out of me.

Its all down to mounting! Even ill fitting guns will not bruise you when held correctly. To much emphasis is put on ill fitting when shooting badly. I shoot 50g and 75g cartridges on geese and duck never had bruisers even with borrowed guns. A lesson with a shooting coach will solve the problem.

Its all down to mounting! Even ill fitting guns will not bruise you when held correctly. To much emphasis is put on ill fitting when shooting badly. I shoot 50g and 75g cartridges on geese and duck never had bruisers even with borrowed guns. A lesson with a shooting coach will solve the problem.

interesting post just wondered if you shoot a rifle that's not zeroed in properly ?
and then wonder if you miss
​regards pete

This pure gun fit issue and can be due to a number or just factor.

LOP comb height or even cast. You need to get someone that understands gun fit not all coaches are trained but also a stocker can't really advise you either as the body feet up all added up to correct stance that allows a good gun mount (that must be consistent) and this all leads to gun fit.

Does it happen every time? I only ask because if you're shooting game and you get the odd snapshot where you see a bird and there's little time for you to throw the gun up, get onto the line and shoot, it's not impossible that in the rush the gun isn't mounted properly. Of course this would NEVER happen to me...:D

Or are you shooting a very high quantity of clays? The soft piece of the cheek on the comb generally doesn't cause a problem, but there is a cumulative effect.

Or maybe it is just gun fit.

Back