What strange thing have you bartered for?

jimbo123p

Don't know what made me think of it but a bartering incident sprang to mind. When I was young, under ten, I am now over 60 I collected knives. My collection was mostly tin pen knives with tartan handles. Usually bartered for marbles. I however swapped two for a hand grenade. (The deactivated shell) Remember this was the fifties, less than 15 years after the war, followed by Suez, and Korea so war memorabilia was plentyful. My father went apesh*t when he saw it. So did the boy's father. His son and him turned up at the door looking for it's return. He had already moved a knife on so I only got one back. Mind you we both eat meals standing up for a while,
Jim

Swapped out one of mums small carp from the pond for a black widow catapult when I was 12, said it was neighbours cat must have had it. Got a bsa meteor for my next birthday.... DOUBLE SCORE

i got a fllick knife for a Mars bar and a packet of Space raders (crisps), that was some years ago now thou, still got the knife somewhere i think??

My Dad swapped a toad and got an old rusty curved blade bayonet (Don't know from what era). He said he never liked the toad anyway. He is seventy five now and still has the bayonet.

Way before becoming a stalker, and in blissful ignorance I picked up a Sika hind that was hit in full flight by the car in front of me. Paunched it like a rabbit and drove off with it hung from the roofrack of my Landrover. Hung it in a barn (of the farm on which we were camping). Once skinned and butchered with just one knife, I offered some to a group of divers camping there too. We lived like kings on fresh scallops crabs and venison till it was all gone. I would probably not do that again now, but we all lived to tell the tale.

I once swapped a Womble yo yo for a ten speed racer, did miles on that bike and eventually swapped it for a colour telly.

Night of pleasure for Syphilis :(

Stan

:rofl:

Sorry Stan...

I swapped a 20 ton truck hydraulic jack for a 1947 Marlin Model 39 lever action .22 rifle. Lately I swapped one of my Ruger Model 96 .22WMR lever guns for a Browning BAR in 30-06....which I promptly gave to JAYB??:cuckoo:~Muir

Clean Clothes

Swapped a crate of McEwans lager for a washing machine when I was based in Germany. I managed to 3 years use out of that washer; best 17 Deutsch Marks I ever spent.

I swapped an Austin Champ, untaxed and un-MOT'd, for a Belgian (unmarked apart from proof-marks) 16 bore side by side shotgun, it was lovely and I never should have parted with it. Which I then traded against my first wildfowling shotgun.

I did well on the Austin Champ swap because it came with a blacksmiths vice, kinetic rope, tirfor, shackles, straps and a single leg jack. I still have the tirfor shackles and straps. Well, my brother does....................it seems to be on semi-permanent loan ;)

Simon

Hmmm quite tame really but I swapped a pait of 55 W halogen Headlamp bulbs froma scrapper for a set of C-H undamped beam scales, three bags of 12 wads a tin of Nitro 80 and a Lee Load all in 12 Bore. Still have the scale an Load all the Nitro 80 went in pistol rounds and I sold on the wads.

Oy yes I swapped a Kays SG copy electric guitar for a 58 Ford 100E Prefect that had 48k genuine on the clock thatw as back when I was only 16.

Swapped a Gunmark Harrier for a trailer load of straw.
Swapped a Renault4 for a Yamaha 400 and a sxs Pedersoli muzzle loader.

volvo 145 estate for a celtic harp then celtic harp as part payment for my first sawmill , the old Trekkasaw. Can't complain really that's changed my life I guess. Although I did like the old Volvo I don't suppose I'd have another one.

i swaped a driving leasson for a ninja star when i was younger, the kid was going to hand the ninja star into the police so i wasnt going to let that happen and yes i do still have it somewhere

Don't know what made me think of it but a bartering incident sprang to mind. When I was young, under ten, I am now over 60 I collected knives. My collection was mostly tin pen knives with tartan handles. Usually bartered for marbles. I however swapped two for a hand grenade. (The deactivated shell) Remember this was the fifties, less than 15 years after the war, followed by Suez, and Korea so war memorabilia was plentyful. My father went apesh*t when he saw it. So did the boy's father. His son and him turned up at the door looking for it's return. He had already moved a knife on so I only got one back. Mind you we both eat meals standing up for a while,
Jim

That brought back memories. :D

I once (aged 12 or 13) swapped some old comics for about a pound of sodium-chlorate.

Of course, since I live in the country, the sodium-chlorate was used for killing weeds (properly) :D

Glyphosate is nowhere near so much fun.

That brought back memories. :D

I once (aged 12 or 13) swapped some old comics for about a pound of sodium-chlorate.

Of course, since I live in the country, the sodium-chlorate was used for killing weeds (properly) :D

Glyphosate is nowhere near so much fun.

Tamus, this makes me think of going into a local camera shop for flashbulbs, "what sort of camera sir?", he said. "I dunno", says I, "I just want ones with exposed wire ends please". :D Oh for the days when you could buy a gallon of hydrogen peroxide without any fuss, and picric acid too! :old:

Simon

Tamus, this makes me think of going into a local camera shop for flashbulbs, "what sort of camera sir?", he said. "I dunno", says I, "I just want ones with exposed wire ends please". :D Oh for the days when you could buy a gallon of hydrogen peroxide without any fuss, and picric acid too! :old:

Simon

:eek: Wow! What a naughty boy... :D I like it.

You wanna come up and try our Oxy-Acetylene spud gun?

Simon
You and Tamus played with some very dangerous toys.

Its a wonder you have survived to tell the tale:D
Could you not add a few ltrs of nitro glicerien to your list of must have while you was at it.

You and Tamus played with some very dangerous toys.

Its a wonder you have survived to tell the tale:D
Could you not add a few ltrs of nitro glicerien to your list of must have while you was at it.

Ummm.... funny you should mention that.... nitro-glycerine was the line where I bottled out, aged about 15.

Nitrating sawdust (to make nitro-cellulose) was good for a laugh... but making dynamite would just have been going too far. S'very unstable you know :old:

By that time I'd started to become interested in cars....

Back