4x4 Tyre Advice

Cut+Squirt

Lads i'm looking for a set of tyres for my 4x4 in 265/70/R17

Can anyone recommend a make model and supplier please.

I had a set of Maxxis 753 Mud Terrain which were fantastic but apparently Maxxis no longer manufacture them.

I'm looking for a good deep aggressive pattern at a reasonable cost.

Telephone numbers of reliable suppliers would be ideal also.

Regards,

CDX

I've had Insa Turbo remoulds on my Shogun for a year - excellent tyre from the Tyre Spot - around £70 each.

You'd be hard pushed to beat BF Goodrich Mud Terrains TBH. Commercially should be readily available in most reputable fitters. That's what I'm planning for my navara when I can afford it, which is coincidently the size your after.

Last edited:
Insa Turbo Dakars, Google it there is usually somebody doing a deal on 4. Recommended to me by a mate who has been the Scottish Landrover Owners Club RTV champion for the last 4 years. Mine have now done 32,000 some of this being hard off roading. They cope very well in mud/rock etc yet quiet on the road and handle well for a 80/20 tyre. If you want something extreme the Insa Turbo Traction is 100% off road giving excellent traction in all conditions.

got kumho kl71's on my l200 and would not recommend. Good grip in the mud and were quiet when new but wore really quickly. I have done 10k miles with them and they almost need changing.

Love General Tire At2 - maybe not agressive enough for your needs? Get mine from GT Tyres Forres.

General Grabber AT2 are similar to BF Goodrich but more price realistic, I know a good few lads who swear by them, they have a decent grip as the name suggests!

BF Goodrich Mud Terrains on my Defender and All Terrains on the Hilux.
The MT's are a bit noisy and not the best on a wet road, bit like the Defender! The AT's are not as aggressive, quieter and still very capable off road. I find both last forever though and friends who have bought cheaper have had them fall apart!

got kuhmo mt at min on my l200 and shogun and bfgoodrich on a shogun insa turbo on the landy and isuzu they are mt pattern a copy of the bfg mt.
the best tyres i had are on the mazda and they are a coppers all terrain brilliant tyres had them 4 years and 60k out of them great on and of road.

I get my BF G All Terrains from Turnbulls Tyres in Kilmarnock. They have always managed to beat the internet prices for me, but I imagine they will be able to get anything you fancy.

I have had BF Goodrich All Terrain's on several 4x4's. On average I will get over 50,000 miles out a set. Good on road, wet or dry and very good off road.

I met a guy recently who develops rubber compounds for tyres and although he was not involved with BFG he said that there was nothing on the market that would match the life they give.

General Grabber AT2 are similar to BF Goodrich but more price realistic, I know a good few lads who swear by them, they have a decent grip as the name suggests!

General Grabber AT2 has been discontinued should still be able to pick them up at suppliers for a while yet, reason they have been discontinued , General is owned by BF Goodrich and was in competition with there AT tyre at a better price
There is a new General AT tyre with a new pattern, don't know how good it will be or how price will compare to the AT2

General Grabber AT2 has been discontinued should still be able to pick them up at suppliers for a while yet, reason they have been discontinued , General is owned by BF Goodrich and was in competition with there AT tyre at a better price
There is a new General AT tyre with a new pattern, don't know how good it will be or how price will compare to the AT2

As bogtrotter says they have been discontinued. Looking at your tyre size they are probably for a Nissan?. I put AT2 70's on mine as I struggled to get 65 profile, fills the wheelarch right enough but economy definately down a bit. They are a good tyre if you can find them. I used Target in Perth.
S.

Back