rcbs rock chucker die bush !

User00014

morning lads ,

can ANYONE help me source or can tell me where i can get the die bush that screws in the top of the press ?

then once that is in place , i can screw in the die and crack on . i got the rock chucker free to a good home , so not looking a gift horse in the mouth i want to make good use of it , is is and older rock chucker press with the letters RCII on it , i think its about 20 yrs old but its in mint nick !

ive already called reloading solutions this morning , and the bush is not listed as a spare part . so at the moment im at a dead end ! but there trying so source one for me , but i would like one sooner rather than later !

i hope some one can help !!!

cheers

lee

Last edited:
Take the die and press to a machine shop and get them to machine you one but it will probably cost a bit,just a thought.
Neil.

Take the die and press to a machine shop and get them to machine you one but it will probably cost a bit,just a thought.
Neil.

chers neil ,

i had thought of that , and im saving that as a plan B , i would rather have an original RCBS one if possible !

cheers

lee

Hi Lee i have nothing but praise for rcbs, i a sure you will get a swift response and i would not be surprised if they send the item free of charge

regards Geoff

morning lads ,

can ANYONE help me source or can tell me where i can get the die bush that screws in the top of the press ?

then once that is in place , i can screw in the die and crack on . i got the rock chucker free to a good home , so not looking a gift horse in the mouth i want to make good use of it , is is and older rock chucker press with the letters RCII on it , i think its about 20 yrs old but its in mint nick !

ive already called reloading solutions this morning , and the bush is not listed as a spare part . so at the moment im at a dead end ! but there trying so source one for me , but i would like one sooner rather than later !

i hope some one can help !!!

cheers

lee

So why don't you set the locking rings on the dies and leave them?~Muir?

Muir,

I think he means the 7/8" adaptor bush they come with. Take it out to uses 1 1/4" dies Hmm The one in my Rockchucker had never been out and was stuck fast. I believe I did free it up juts in case I needed to change it but let's face it unless I acquire another 577/450 or rebuild the .577" Snider I am not like to need to remove it.

Brit: No need! I resize 577 Snider in my standard press! (I have the proper bullet mold for the Snider if you want it on indefinite loan, btw.) Ever use 24 ga brass shotgun hulls for brass?? I want to try it. They are cheap here compared to Bell .577 @ $4 a casing.

I wonder what Lee is loading that requires dies that large?? Or is he talking about the Hornady-type interrupted thread bushings? If so, Lee, skip it . They don't save any work! ~Muir

Brit: No need! I resize 577 Snider in my standard press! (I have the proper bullet mold for the Snider if you want it on indefinite loan, btw.) Ever use 24 ga brass shotgun hulls for brass?? I want to try it. They are cheap here compared to Bell .577 @ $4 a casing.

I wonder what Lee is loading that requires dies that large?? Or is he talking about the Hornady-type interrupted thread bushings? If so, Lee, skip it . They don't save any work! ~Muir

muir ,

what i need is the bush that screws into the top of the press so i can screw in my lee dies !

with out it im in a bit of a buggers muddlen

cheers lee

Wow. I wonder what prompter the previous owner to remove that bushing! It's not easy to get out and unless you are loading something really unusual -or using one of the bullet swaging outfits that use the large thread- you wouldn't need to do it.

I wouldn't trust RCBS to be kind to you with regards to cost (or no cost) of that bushing. I bought a 1010 scale and missing the weighted wire hanger and pan and they wanted almost $50 for the replacement parts. I made one with a bit of wire coat hanger and a small jar lid in about 15 minutes.~Muir

ah I see - it's like a brass plumbing bush, and changes the thread... Yep Griston engineering (01953 881 845) are the ones to try, shouldn't cost too much, I'd guess in the region of £20-40

Muir,

The Snider is another long term project it needs a total rebuild including a replacement barrel. Right now it has too much Indian "workmanship" in and on it to even consider using so no hurry on this one it's standing in the corner quietly rusting a bit further. Yes the barrel and bore are rusted and were probable made from a bit of water pipe.

Anyway I understood that lee were making some good 577/450 dies of the correct dimensions so they work and that thy are 1 1/4" threaded so they have the strength to size the cases properly. I used to have a Swinburns patent Martini sporting rifle soem years ago and when I traded it off with a friend he had the dies as well. I have never had a .577 before I acquired this Indian hash up. Was going to get one then the prices took such a hike that they quickly got beyond my meagre pocket.

There is a site where they do a lot of Snider shooting and yes they use the 24 G brass shells of Magtech make I believe. if you want I'll PM you the site addy and you can go get the info direct.

I think you're right regarding the Lee dies but I have 577 dies that fit the 7/8-14 thread pitch of the standard press. My Snider is a 1871 non-com rifle, the intermediate length. I bought it some time back when I was making more money than I am now. The rifle is complete but for the rear sight elevator (I have an Indian replacement am loathe to install) and really in fine condition. The bore is about 99% with just a few minor blemishes that I really have to squint to see with a light shining through it. My Snider shoots very well, by the way. I loaded it with 70 grains of Pyrodex "CTG" and got about 4" off hand at 50 yards.

There was a company in Canada that was making replacement barrels for Sniders for their national black powder rifle comps. I don't know if they still are in business as the article I have it about 30 years old. A standard musket barrel would probably work in a refit, eh?

And yes thanks, if you could PM me the link to the site where they are shooting Mag-Tech 24 ga brass I'd appreciate it. My .577 brass is lathe turned and not cartridge grade as all.~Muir

well problem sorted gents ,

i took a large adjustable spanner to my lee classic press and removed the die bush from there and on to the rock chucker , it un screwed out of the lee press really easily so happy days !

cheers lee

Back