Layering system

Boarboy

Can any of you clothing experts talk me through how to set Up a proper layering system.? I was in the sheep shed all day today, wearing my swazi, and I was a bit disappointed with the ammount of internal sweat in my coat! Either yet another disappointing garment, bad layering, or the fact I should loose some weight.,:confused:.??

I'm going to watch this one ,
Everybody is different but I sweat easily , ( unfit yes ! But even when was fit I sweat )

Paul

Can any of you clothing experts talk me through how to set Up a proper layering system.? I was in the sheep shed all day today, wearing my swazi, and I was a bit disappointed with the ammount of internal sweat in my coat! Either yet another disappointing garment, bad layering, or the fact I should loose some weight.,:confused:.??

I'm intrigued as to why you were wearing a coat all day inside in the middle of summer! The outcome doesn't seem too surprising to me.

Have a look at a good website from a clothing manufacturer (shooting - Harkila, mountaineering try Mountain Equipment or Cotswold Outdoor, the principal is the same) that should help.

I have found a merino base layer to be one of the best additions to my outdoor clothing collection, try Helly Hansen or Icebreaker.

I agree with Karlbird; whether it's hot or cold merino wool is brilliant as a base layer, and especially for socks. If cool, then an insulating layer on top (fleece/lightweight syn or down jacket/merino jumper). Shell on top, either wind proof or waterproof depending on the conditions. For all its relative breathability I only wear gore-tex when it's likely to be wet or if I'm going to be static. It still gets pretty sweaty when you're moving. Fundamental to it all is that you need to be prepared to add or remove layers as that's really what keeps you comfortable. Loads of info out there but it's definitely worth experimenting with different combos yourself. I hope that helps..

I use these,Genuine British Army MTP Issue Olive Coolmax T-Shirt, New | eBay And these,
s-l140.jpg
You can also use multiples of as they are really thin & lightweight, great for stalking, just take it off, hold into a breeze & they are bone dry in minutes, can be stuffed into a small ish pocket too.

I'm intrigued as to why you were wearing a coat all day inside in the middle of summer! The outcome doesn't seem too surprising to me.

Because it was pouring with rain all day here yesterday. And sorry to confuse you, but when I'm in the sheep sheds it also includes jumping in and out into the outside yards so I kept my coat on all the time.

+3 on the merino...socks, underwear, t-shirts and sweaters: get the lot!! It'll keep you cool when it's hot and warm when it's cold AND it doesn't get stinky if worn for several days on the trot, unlike man made fibres [although it does take longer to dry]

Check out Sportpursuit who have flash sales on any amount of kit, including Icebreaker merino at the moment [most flash sales last for seven days and have up to 50% reductions]

Because it was pouring with rain all day here yesterday. And sorry to confuse you, but when I'm in the sheep sheds it also includes jumping in and out into the outside yards so I kept my coat on all the time.

That makes more sense! My body runs hot so I find anything more than shirt sleeves & a body warmer intolerable & I'd like to think I was reasonably fit. If it starts to rain I just wear a hat & I find this to be the most comfortable solution. I've tried all the smocks & still have a couple of Nomad smocks which are ok; I used to try layering with them but was always way too hot. The only solution for me was to do away with layers completely & simply wear a shirt with the smock on top; this allowed some air to circulate & helped keep me a bit cooler whilst moving about, but still dry. I suppose that in the depths of winter if I was expecting to sit about I might wear a light wool jersey too. I suspect that layering works best if all the layers are wool (including the outside layer).

Part of the problem is that if it is tipping down the relative humidity outside your coat (the wide open spaces) is pretty much 100%! Breathability relies on there being a humidity gradient. No gradient no breathing.

David.

I was about to suggest a garment that would at least nail the mid layer question but sadly Paramo have just informed me that they have discontinued their reversible ”Mountain” and “Explorer" Pull-On range that came in woods-friendly moss and that I all but live in!

A more non season-specific garment would be hard to find given it can be worn as a single layer in the summer, mid layer in autumn under Arktis Sniper Smock and a base layer when it snows.

Cheers

K

Last edited:
Check out Sportpursuit who have flash sales on any amount of kit, including Icebreaker merino at the moment [most flash sales last for seven days and have up to 50% reductions]

Thanks - that has just cost me £80! ;)

I looked too but 16 quid for a pair o boxer shorts ?!?!
Do they caress your nuts for you too? AND that's half price !!!!!
Who said no money in sheep !?
That merino stuff not cheap
Paul

Ha, that's one of the things I just bought! If my missus can spend upwards of £30 on a bra, why not on boxers?!

Christ my missus is ...... Rather big in that dept. I cringe when she brings out a new bravissimo catalogue.!!!
But then she takes it off at night and all is forgiven. 😜😜

Depends how technical you want to get and how much you want to spend...

There are those who will champion mil surplus... nothing wrong with that, good kit and available at a good price but you are never going to get lightweight, highly breathable gear using that route.. Military issue uses relatively heavy, relatively noisy and quite dated technology compared with that available in the sporting goods sector.,.

The starting point to any layering system has to be keeping your skin dry... This is achieved with the use of hydrophobic (wicking) materials... man made fibre is the best at doing this but also stinks very quickly and it can be difficult to get rid of said stink by washing... Merino wool or a blend containing merino, is a very good alternative... not quite so good in the wicking department and heavier than it's man made counterparts but it will not stink and has a very good warmth:weight ratio... as has been said, also good for keeping you cool in hot weather. So, that's your base layer..

Mid layer is next and again, slightly heavier weight merino or thin ultrafleece is good here... downside I find with fleece is that it doesn't compress very well and so is quite bulky if you are packing it rather than wearing it..

Insulation layer.. traditionally this has been your polartec 100 or 200 fleece depending on temp (or thick down outer jacket in winter) but advancements in down technology mean that waterproof down insulation layers can now be had... very light for the amount of warmth they provide and compress to almost nothing so very easy to pack away while not needed..

Outer layer... most people think of Goretex but there are far better options out there nowadays... Torey fabrics are up to 4 x as breathable as their nearest competitors and just as watertight... a lot lighter and quieter too.. My jacket is made of Torey Dermizax NX fabric.. very light, very quiet, durable and incredibly breathable... very rare to get a condensation build up even under load unlike every other breathable shell I've had in the past. There is a trade off with durability... Harkila Pro Hunter Cordura it is not but after a 15 mile hike on the hill in Jan in my Pro Hunter X, I wouldn't thank you for giving me one now! a most miserable experience!

The best way to use a layering system is to only use it when you need it.. i.e. if you are warm and dry enough with just your base layer on whilst moving or under load then just stick with that.. start at the bottom and add layers as needed, removing them when you don't... If you start out with all your layers on with the idea of removing if you get too hot etc... it won't work.. you will start to sweat and your skin will get wet.. that is the fastest way to get cold... or worse!... once you have started to overheat it is difficult to keep moving and reverse the process!

Last edited:
Back