Gun Insurance

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, and apologies if there is an existing thread. I'm just looking into gun insurance and wondering if any has any advice or experience. I'm a BASC member so I'm considering just going with 'Newmoon' who'm they recommend and have discounts with, but please do let me know if there is a better service out there.

Thanks very much,
Kernow

I insure mine through NFU with the house, also disclosed scopes and bino's to them, we had a burglary claim through MoreThan, fortunately no guns involved, police involved etc whilst we were on holiday, they made us feel like criminals for claiming, sent a loss adjuster out who's sole objective was to reduce what they paid out for the claim, including on Jewellery which we had disclosed to them and provided an independent valuation of when we took the policy out, pay a bit more for a policy now based on this experience

I insure mine through NFU with the house, also disclosed scopes and bino's to them, we had a burglary claim through MoreThan, fortunately no guns involved, police involved etc whilst we were on holiday, they made us feel like criminals for claiming, sent a loss adjuster out who's sole objective was to reduce what they paid out for the claim, including on Jewellery which we had disclosed to them and provided an independent valuation of when we took the policy out, pay a bit more for a policy now based on this experience

Thanks Jono, sounds like a bit of nightmare mate- hope it's all sorted now!

Mine is included in my house insurance, Direct Line, i rang and checked with them only last week, and for travel to the USA, although they did have to check themselves and ring me back.
Cheers
Richard

I am with NFU. Don't be tempted to take out separate insurance for expensive guns as it will invalidate your house insurance if you hadn't mentioned them. We haven't made a claim though!

I contacted Newmoon, took pictures of the guns (it was the day Tory leadership came down to Mrs Leason v Mrs May) and, as requested, and haven't heard a thing back. Nada, zilch, diddly squat.

So based on that Newmoon should call themselves BLUE Moon. Seem to me a total waste of time. Maybe others can share their experiences? So mine in the house are on my Saga house policy at no extra cost.

Newmoon...who never replied....wanted £460 per year...for just five guns. Which was cover whilst in the house and outside the house. Seems to me that sometimes despite BASC's "super deal" looking elsewhere might be a good idea.

Last edited:
Mine are insured with the household contents insurance (with Admiral) and I think it added about £30 to the annual policy for worldwide cover.

Thanks for all advice chaps, I had looked at putting them on the house insurance, and actually one of the shotguns is. However one of my other shotguns is at my clay club and I've recently bought a new Suer404 and Swarovski z6i so I thought maybe something more shooting specific would be worth it incase the scope was damaged in transit or some other 'worse case scenario' happens whilst out in the field- so my thought process is for non-household based insurance. I'll have to do a bit more reading i think! thanks again guys!

Yes my guns are insured with my contents part of my house insurance. From memory I believe they will cover any individual item (whether a firearm or a Ming vase) up to a value of £1500. If the item is valued in excess of £1500 then the insurers will want details and usually this can affect your premium - but not always as some insurers will only want a record of the item.

It is therefore worthwhile checking your contents cover to ensure that your firearms and accessories (n/v, Thermal and scopes etc.,) have this £1500 limit and if not to contact the insurer. It may be worth also to check that your cover includes 'accidental cover' as most loss situations are not through theft but accidental damage

Back