Retirement plans ?

When I started working and set up my pension my intention very naively was to retire at 50 and spend the rest of my years shooting and fishing and generally leaning on farm gates talking...

Well I recon I’m a long way from that.... knocking on 40 and as Glyn 1 says I’ll still be working till I drop...

I'm dependant on my relatives dying in the correct sequence & even then that would probably only allow me to go part time in my seventies. At least I do something I enjoy.

Most people always want more and are never happy with what they have. You are here for a good time not a long time. Make the most of what you have!

I see chaps, a mixture of laughter and tears there.
Just like life itself.:)

I have to laugh at these adverts for "Viking River Cruises" etc where it shows really not very old folk dolled up sitting on a boat on the Rhine maybe and drinking wine.
My idea of Hell.

PS...I know what you mean re pensions, I won't be well off but I'll settle for freedom.

I'm dependant on my relatives dying in the correct sequence & even then that would probably only allow me to go part time in my seventies. At least I do something I enjoy.

Make sure that you factor in the prospect of them spending the last five years in a care home at £600/week!

I'm intent on winning the bloody lottery long before I hit retirement age, as I reckon soon there won't be a retirement age as no money in the pot.

I'm intent on winning the bloody lottery long before I hit retirement age, as I reckon soon there won't be a retirement age as no money in the pot.

I was thinking about a victimless bullion robbery, anyone want to put a team together? At least if we get caught we get to spend the next twenty years in a HM Queen and Sons care home so its win win as far as I can see.

I'll be in Wheel chair long before retirement age so doing all the stslking I can now . Well that's the plan doesn't seem to be working out at the min

We had these great plans of buying a narrowboat and cruising around the inland waterways until we could do it no longer . Then my mum died just before retirement and it made us realise what if we don't make it to that age . So we bit the bullet and sold up . We've been living on it for 4 years now and it's the best thing we've ever done . Don't wait to live for another day get it done now for there may be no tomorrow

Retirement ???? No chance I work 6 months a year and get paid extremely well, so no plans of ever retiring, unless I win the lottery

I was thinking about a victimless bullion robbery, anyone want to put a team together? At least if we get caught we get to spend the next twenty years in a HM Queen and Sons care home so its win win as far as I can see.

Not as daft as it seems..!

By the looks of the answers on here and many people I know, I consider myself very lucky to have been able to retire before my 53rd birthday, some 6 years ago. I would certainly be richer if I had continued working, but money isn't everything - so long as you have something approaching enough.

Should you be so fortunate as myself, do remember that you really do need a reason to get up in the morning, or those minor ailments will progress and be joined with new ones and push you towards an early bath! As for me, my retirement was seen as a green light for my children to start their families. I now have 5 (soon to be 6) grandchildren and offer my time (within reason) to allow my children time to pursue their careers. I also part-time look after a small pheasant shoot.

As you can imagine, both these post-retirement commitments bring some stress and worry, but to be honest, it's things I want to do, on my own terms and I don't regret a minute of it. Beans on toast for tea though....

By the looks of the answers on here and many people I know, I consider myself very lucky to have been able to retire before my 53rd birthday, some 6 years ago. I would certainly be richer if I had continued working, but money isn't everything - so long as you have something approaching enough.

Should you be so fortunate as myself, do remember that you really do need a reason to get up in the morning, or those minor ailments will progress and be joined with new ones and push you towards an early bath! As for me, my retirement was seen as a green light for my children to start their families. I now have 5 (soon to be 6) grandchildren and offer my time (within reason) to allow my children time to pursue their careers. I also part-time look after a small pheasant shoot.

As you can imagine, both these post-retirement commitments bring some stress and worry, but to be honest, it's things I want to do, on my own terms and I don't regret a minute of it. Beans on toast for tea though....

Nothing wrong with beans on toast........I like mine with a fried egg on top :D

Not at retirement age yet, still have a few years to get there, but I am living the dream and enjoying it. No mortgage, nice house, and a fantastic partner................life is good and I cant complain:D

It's my intention to work till I'm 60 ''12 years away'' then sell everything I own houses cars and even my rifles and travel to remote countries for as long as I can last on the cash, then come back to UK and rock up at social office with bugger all in my pockets and become one of the scroungers that I've supported all my working life
Regards
Jimmy

I laugh at any suggestion of Money in the pot of Govmnt coffers FOR PEOPLE THAT HAVE PAID INTO IT SINCE THEY WHERE 16 YEARS OLD: No they have used it all on their crusade for More Expenses and lining their own pockets.
The expected living age for a man in Scotland according to figs released 2014 is 76.8 years old and that depends on loads of variables
AND the expected pension age is allegedly heading towards 78 years old, SO WORK TILL YOU DIE IS THE ANSWER FROM THE ALL THE PARTIES WITHIN UK PARLIAMENT.

Well I'm retired and enjoying every minute. Still work 4 days a week as i don't feel old yet. Not working this week as the company is waiting on more plans to arrive and its a bit slow at work. So have been out in the forest thinning out plantations while the sun shines. Every thing i own is bought and payed for and if i ever get short of money there is plenty of game out in the forest so i won't starve. A member on SD who shot a roe buck on my ground emailed me the other night and told me the buck had made bronze so now I'm a happy bunny :D . Plus coming over to the UK in June to pick up a springer spaniel pup.
My own little bit of paradise Where i can go a month and not see anyone.

Last edited:
When I retire, sons will get my guns and anything else shooting related. I'll be on the golf course

Back