Lee Factory Crimp Die Over-runs

I see they have .17 Fireball too, have to look into sourcing one.

Lee will ship you one for $15 customs fussing fee and the actual cost of shipping. I remember someone talking 6.5x57 here a while back. That is one of the FCD's they offer.

Unfortunately, there are many people who still live in this world of jaded enlightenment thinking that crimping has no benefits and consequently, won't even look at the thread. Too bad. I have one for every cartridge I shoot.~Muir

Lee will ship you one for $15 customs fussing fee and the actual cost of shipping. I remember someone talking 6.5x57 here a while back. That is one of the FCD's they offer.

Unfortunately, there are many people who still live in this world of jaded enlightenment thinking that crimping has no benefits and consequently, won't even look at the thread. Too bad. I have one for every cartridge I shoot.~Muir

As above, thanks for the heads up, I am going to have to be very careful with those tiny bullets when crimping!

A shame the postage is more than the actual die. I was going to order a 9.3x62 Mauser. :(

Jon

Well... In fairness to Lee, they charge actual postage. The $15 fee is for filing US Customs paperwork. Did you go through the ordering process? What was the postage to your area?? I ordered a 7.5x55 FCD yesterday.
~Muir

They don't list a 6.5x54MSch. crimp die & I wonder if the 6.5x54 Mauser or the 6.5 Carcano crimp die might work on the 6.5x54 MSch cartridge...would you know Muir?
Or is this something I have to contact Lee over?? Cheers.

They don't list a 6.5x54MSch. crimp die & I wonder if the 6.5x54 Mauser or the 6.5 Carcano crimp die might work on the 6.5x54 MSch cartridge...would you know Muir?

No. I've got ammunition in these 3 + 6.5x55, and 6.5x57. The internal collets are unique to the calibre so are different for each.:(

You could use the roll crimp in the seating die.

I don't know. It depends on the internal dimensions of the collet. I'd think might work. Drop them an email and see.~Muir

I don't know. It depends on the internal dimensions of the collet. I'd think might work. Drop them an email and see.~Muir

I think that's being optimistic....:p. The majority of these are long dead numbers, and overpriced otherwise they'd have moved on.

If these are built to SAAMI specs as the Ad says they are then this can not work ... surely?

The 6.5x54 Mauser cartridge is fatter, over 5mm shorter from base to shoulder than the 6.5x54 M-S, and takes .261" bullets. The 6.5x54 M-S will not fully enter this FCD anyway so no joy there.

The 6.5x52 Carcano FCD is narrower & shorter internally, the vital neck dimension differs, and this cartridge is designed for .267" bullets.

Getting the collet to crimp correctly depends on a close fit. Otherwise you could get away with stuffing a .223 for a neck crimp into a .222 FCD, which is a similar comparison. Then LEE wouldn't need so vast an array of different parts in it's inventory.:D

Ordered 3 @$25 each and the postage came to $38 total, order placed at 09H50 and was advised they were on their way at 16H20 solook forward to getting them.

I think that's being optimistic....:p. The majority of these are long dead numbers, and overpriced otherwise they'd have moved on.

If these are built to SAAMI specs as the Ad says they are then this can not work ... surely?

The 6.5x54 Mauser cartridge is fatter, over 5mm shorter from base to shoulder than the 6.5x54 M-S, and takes .261" bullets. The 6.5x54 M-S will not fully enter this FCD anyway so no joy there.

The 6.5x52 Carcano FCD is narrower & shorter internally, the vital neck dimension differs, and this cartridge is designed for .267" bullets.

Getting the collet to crimp correctly depends on a close fit. Otherwise you could get away with stuffing a .223 for a neck crimp into a .222 FCD, which is a similar comparison. Then LEE wouldn't need so vast an array of different parts in it's inventory.:D

It depends on length. If it's 54mm case length then the internal dimensions, as I said, would be the deciding factor as the collet would close at the proper place. (Unlike .223 and .222) I have never checked the fit of a cartridge into the collet alone. Admittedly, the 54mm Mauser and 54 mm MS aren't really close.~Muir

Ordered 3 @$25 each and the postage came to $38 total, order placed at 09H50 and was advised they were on their way at 16H20 solook forward to getting them.

I placed an order Thursday evening and I had it in my mail box Saturday morning. They have very speedy service.~Muir

Back