first go at filming deer on my permission and im a cr*p camera man

Nice one you have some nice footage there, have you got your camera set to digital zoom?
I found that you get a lot clearer footage set to optical but at the expense of range . DF

Nice to have some footage on your own patch! They look quite chilled out. What camera were you using?

im using a sony hanycam hdr-cx320 havent got a clue about setting etc i just click record and try and zoom in lol

Last edited:
Nice with a bit of footage mate.

I always find it interesting to observe deer when I can't shoot them. I somehow start to notice things I normally miss.

Cheers,

​Christian

I have use of one of these camcorders and you can check whether the camera is set to just to optical (30x zoom)or digital (350x zoom) by hitting the menu button on top left of the screen and selecting camera/mic> camera settings> digital zoom and select on or off.As the previous post stated your picture quality will be far superior on optical only.
Personally I would leave the digital zoom function on but get to know the limitations of the optical zoom then make efforts to achieve your pictures within the optical zoom range. If however, you can't get any closer and the digital zoom range is switched on then you don't need to faff about trying to change settings when the deer or other subject is in front of you. Then at least you can get a picture, albeit more pixelated.
It is a great test of your stalking skills to get in as close as possible though at least with the camera you don't have to worry about a backstop!
All the best with your future "shooting"

I have use of one of these camcorders and you can check whether the camera is set to just to optical (30x zoom)or digital (350x zoom) by hitting the menu button on top left of the screen and selecting camera/mic> camera settings> digital zoom and select on or off.As the previous post stated your picture quality will be far superior on optical only.
Personally I would leave the digital zoom function on but get to know the limitations of the optical zoom then make efforts to achieve your pictures within the optical zoom range. If however, you can't get any closer and the digital zoom range is switched on then you don't need to faff about trying to change settings when the deer or other subject is in front of you. Then at least you can get a picture, albeit more pixelated.
It is a great test of your stalking skills to get in as close as possible though at least with the camera you don't have to worry about a backstop!
All the best with your future "shooting"

thankyou i will try that ta

You are right your a crap camera man! All that aside good footage they were that calm you would think it was a deer park!

Nice one dave. You could draw some cross hairs in the lense, and say bang now and again. Be nearly as good as shooting melons.

You are right your a crap camera man! All that aside good footage they were that calm you would think it was a deer park!

im much better at fieldcraft skills than i am a camera man thats why there so calm , cus they had no clue i was there lol lol

Its best i when i dont get out with you Dave, you always see them when im not there :D lol. Speak soon for a catch up.

Back