Setting up Yukon Photon

private fraser

Hi all,
Just unpacked my new Photon from Scott Country.
All looks good but it would have been a good idea for them to make a wee video of how to set it up.
There is a small white tube,like conduit, in the kit. Can't figure out where that goes.
Can anyone help ?.
Thanks

A cz452 .22lr till I get used to it then a T3 in .223.
One thing I noticed first off is that the front lens cover is fixed on now.
It's on a good strong hinge by the looks and can be folded all the way back.Folk have reported it would go missing easily so maybe Yukon have addressed that.
Wish Butler Creek would sort theirs.

PS.. I ordered it on Thursday morning about 10 and it arrived next day at 12. Pretty good.

Last edited:
Ooh! I've just bought one too. But it won't arrive until after the bank holiday. What sort of mounts are you using, Private Fraser? I've heard that it isn't easy to get it back far enough for proper eye relief with normal type mounts (which I guess might have to be high ones). I see that Yukon do a mounting solution and wonder if that's the answer. Be keen to hear how you get on with it. I guess the initial use for it will be bunnies?

Hi all,
All looks good but it would have been a good idea for them to make a wee video of how to set it up.
There is a small white tube,like conduit, in the kit. Can't figure out where that goes.
Can anyone help ?.
Thanks

Got mine a few weeks ago, and didnt get the small white tube (ive been ripped off), any way, first thing I done was take yukon and Rifle off to Bushwear to get a pair of mounts, that achieved and having read the instructions a few times I fitted the scope, put 2 x AA batteries in made sure the lens cover was closed for daylight use and of out to the garden range for a play around, i bought it to go on my .22 air rifle to shoot rats in barns, but as I had booked a couple of nights on the wild boar, it went straight on my .308, got set up at 50 mt, the instructions say you fire one shot then holding the scope on target, adjust the reticule to point of impact, bollxxks, not with a .308 any way, i did not have enough mag to clearly see POI, so went up to target (graduated in 1 inch squares) noted the correction needed then back to adjust sight,you press the menu buttons to get the ret to move. left right up ,down, and place the ret where your POI is,then press menu button again to come out of that mode and the ret moves back to centre with the New POI corresponding to the ret i used a 2 point rest to help after a few shots it was shooting good, tried it later in the dark and was well impressed, arranged with a mate to sight in to 90 mt on his permission a couple of nights later, went through the same procedure in the dark at 90 mt and everything is fine
Great piece of kit for the money
hope this helps
Cheers
Ray

Last edited:
Ooh! I've just bought one too. But it won't arrive until after the bank holiday. What sort of mounts are you using, Private Fraser? I've heard that it isn't easy to get it back far enough for proper eye relief with normal type mounts (which I guess might have to be high ones). I see that Yukon do a mounting solution and wonder if that's the answer. Be keen to hear how you get on with it. I guess the initial use for it will be bunnies?

try standard mounts first, take the lot to your local dealers and try them out first, scott country mounts look real snazy,,,, but they have a real snazzy price too

cheers
Ray

Thanks for the info Ray.
I got the package incl the ir illuminator for £419.99. The illuminator on it's own seems to sell for £60 or more so the package is good value.
I also got the SW30 mount they recommend so I'm not expecting any problems.
I've spent plenty pennies so I hope no problems!.
Going to have a quiet day today hopefully and a play.
I think the white tube relates to the t20 torch. Seem to remember seeing a video of it being fitted to a t20 as the torch body is less than 1" and needs something to make it fit a 1" mount.

Thanks for the info Ray.
I got the package incl the ir illuminator for £419.99. The illuminator on it's own seems to sell for £60 or more so the package is good value.
I also got the SW30 mount they recommend so I'm not expecting any problems.
I've spent plenty pennies so I hope no problems!.
Going to have a quiet day today hopefully and a play.
I think the white tube relates to the t20 torch. Seem to remember seeing a video of it being fitted to a t20 as the torch body is less than 1" and needs something to make it fit a 1" mount.

Got mine with illuminator plus mount for illum for 399.99, my scope cover opens sideways so covers the illuminator gggrrr, and its real tight so didnt want to force it, but as i was in dumfries (boars shooting) i dropped in to see scott country and was told it will move and if i break it moving it, it is under warranty
have fun and just PLAY with the settings till you get used to it

get yourself an AA battery charger and rechargeable batteries as it can eat through them pretty quick if you use the built in illuminator

Mounted ok, going out to zero in daylight in a bit.
One minor quibble...the battery cover twist knob doesn't turn all the way to fully locked with the batteries in. Need to watch it doesn't pop open again.
Better tight than loose as the actress said to the bishop.
Hopefully it will wear in...as above :)

i think its for a battery in the deben ir ,,if that the kit you have m8??

Hi all,
Can anyone help ?.
Thanks

The lens flap on mine also obscured the T20 torch. It was so tight, I thought it must be a fixture. Someone on another thread had taken theirs off, so I applied some heat with a steamer and it came off. The flap now opens to about 7.30 to miss both the T20 torch beam and the integral illuminator. My T20 seems to fit into 1" mounts OK. I went out without the manual to zero it and was turning everything in the wrong direction(1" clicks). The batteries went flat, I went home and read the manual, reversed all the adjustments I could remember making and took it out that night and hit the first mink-sized target I fired at, at about 60 yrds. That was with the integral illuminator, as I'm still waiting for the T20 batteries. At short ranges, the front focus seems to be very critical. It would easily be possible for a fox's eyes to be just a blurr if not in focus. The Tikka varmint is a bit heavy to be holding on target without a front rest/bipod and trying to adjust the focus.

Last edited:
Can anyone help ?.
Thanks

Leading on from another comment, is it for fitting a different battery? I have had to order 18650-type batteries(3.7V), as recommended on the T20 carton. Without noticing, I ordered them from an Ebay seller who was in China, so having to wait. Have now ordered some from UK. The local camera shop that I thought might have some, is closed for the weekend.

Could be re tge plastic tube / battery info...thanks.
I had to give up on zeroing this afternoon cos it was too bloody sunny ::)
Just when I could do with a dull day.
The scope coped quite well though and I was just getting the shots in when the sun swinging round got too much for it.
I'm near the end of the 30 click adjustment though. I would recommend buying the sports match adjustable mounts that Scott C sell.
I didn't cos I had a set of 30mm mounts but they're not ideal.
Work in progress.
Back later.

Could be re tge plastic tube / battery info...thanks.
I had to give up on zeroing this afternoon cos it was too bloody sunny ::)
Just when I could do with a dull day.
The scope coped quite well though and I was just getting the shots in when the sun swinging round got too much for it.
I'm near the end of the 30 click adjustment though. I would recommend buying the sports match adjustable mounts that Scott C sell.
I didn't cos I had a set of 30mm mounts but they're not ideal.
Work in progress.
Back later.[/QUOTE

a black target with a white dot would be better to zero with,,,u can adjust the brightness on the unit with the jogger wheel

I presume the bases and rings on my Tikka are Optilock. I took the Swarofvski 30mm scope off, and the Photon went straight back in. I had to reverse the bases to get better eye relief because the front base had an offset 'arrester peg' that fitted into a hole on the top of the action. I had to move the rear mount forward to get the bolt out. The rings have plastic inserts, similar the plumbing 'olives', that allow movement of the scope without possibly distorting something.

Got the zeroing finished at dusk no problem.
About 6 "clicks" on horizontal and ten on vertical, not bad.
As exmarksman said above re zeroing, a white dot on black would prob be good. My normal red legal sticker on white paper was not good.
Went out tonight with pal,3 shots with .22lr and photon gave 3 rabbits. Well pleased with the photon and the ir. Will put it on the .223 soon.
Pal has t66 with red pill and that's great for long range spotting then switch to the photon.
Good combination.
Minor gripe re ir..it's hard to tell if it's off when when putting it away. A wee led indicator would be good but I don't think any of these torches have that.

Last edited:
Hi folks, further to the above...
I got a picatinny rail from optics warehouse for my cz452 and it fits fine,good kit.
The trouble came when I tried to fit the Scott country sw30 mount.
It won't fit, the bar joining the front and back of the picatinny rail gets in the way of the cross pieces on the underneath of the sw30.
Anybody else got an sw30 mount ?.

Back