First Deer of the year but with a Jeep!

BasilBeGone

Well this was not what i expected for my first post!
At 6.55am on sunday morning, i was on my way up the A3400 to Chipping Norton to pick up a mate to go stalking.
While passing the first Glympton turn a Fallow Pricket ran out in front of me and the Jeep took the full impact! :eek:
So the morning stalk was called off and the damage to the Jeep asessed.
The Bumper, Grill, N/S Headlight, sidelight, indicator and Bonnet have taken a beating. The Bonnet and maybe the Grill can be saved. So glad i was not in the Audi, the Deer would almost certainly have come up over the bonnet and hit the windscreen!
I actualy cought it on my dashcam, so when i can edit it down to a short clip i will try and upload it for all to see!
The Pricket was retrieved by said friend to his garage and duly sorted out, not wishing to let it go to waste of corse! ;)
So i expect a few wisecracks on here and future gatherings of SD!!!

20120122_071305.jpg20120122_071039.jpg20120122_143636.jpg

What i did find a little odd was that only one person out of the fifteen cars that passed, stopped to see if i needed any help! He had hit a Deer last year and it wrote off his small family saloon!
I also fail to concive how three of the said cars did not slow down when it is obvious that there is an obstuction ahead! (Car stopped, hazzards on, some Bloke in middle of the road flashing a bloody big torch and yet they still pass by at speeds well in excess of the 50mph limit!) At those speeds i would expect to see more than just a dead Deer! I hit this one at about 40-45mph.
Anyway, enough of this i'm looking foward to eating some of said Bambi this weekend at my Niece's birthday party!
TTFN
Bruce

Last edited:
Mate, I know how you feel. I hit a fallow hind head on at 60mph...on a motorbike. Not a good experience.

You've got a new name for the car now though- Tufty :)

I`m not sure i`d want to taste it, very often road kills have a horrible taint to them.
You got a dog?? He may end up with it!!
basil.

I`m not sure i`d want to taste it, very often road kills have a horrible taint to them.
basil.
I have eaten from a few road kills that i have had been fortunate to be present at but not involved in, and had no problems with the taste. As long as there is no more damage inside the animal than when hit with a modern rifle calibre, then it has been fine. The only time i had any 'taint' to the meat was when i shot a Roe Doe at very close quarters in woodland near Newbury. It ran for about 70 yards then colapsed in a pile, i aproached it, touched it's eye, it blinked, i used my knife to sever the spinal cord and proceded to graloch it. The heart and lungs were destroyed infact what was left of the heart was detached, but still it ran! I can only assume it was addrenalin that got it that far and this tainted the meat. So now i try to take head/neck shots when presented with a close shot or leave it for another day. On sunday we only lost the left haunch due to a little contamination. So hopefully one good roast, a couple of stews and lots of Kebabs this weekend! :)

Mate, I know how you feel. I hit a fallow hind head on at 60mph...on a motorbike. Not a good experience.

You've got a new name for the car now though- Tufty :)

Ouch! Just the thought of it makes me crindge!:scared: I will deffinatly be taking a lot more care on that and many other roads around here after this! Bruce

Back