Marlin.357

KEITHKILVO1

Think I would like to get myself a Marlin Cowboy with the Octagonal barrel in .357. If anyone has any experience of them I would appreciate some feedback. I would be using it without a scope and wondered what they are like.
I wondered what barrel lengths they come in as I'm sure I've seen them advertised with 24" barrels and 20" barrels, are the 20" straight from the factory or will they have been shortened.
I am not interested in any other makes just the Marlin
Cheers

The JM Marlin .357 Cowboys aren't common, or cheap! (Maybe you'll get lucky with an ok "Remlin"?)

I love my .45Colt, octagonal-barrelled Marlin cowboy. I shoot it with irons. I'd recommend the longer barrel for increased sight radius, unless you plan on competing in comps that favour shorter, pointier rifles.

Last edited:
Hi Muir
when you state the 20" is the only barrel length is this because you prefer it or it is the only one available. I ask as I have seen several of them for sale with 24" barrels?
Cheers
K

There is no 'current production' destined for the UK. I have been in close contact with JMK (the importers, If I remember the initials correctly) and they said that there is no fixed date they will start making them for the UK yet. There is a long waiting list in McAvoy's of people with their name down for one, and there is no expectation to get one in 2016. I gave up and bought a brilliant Winchester Model 94 a couple of months ago. Great choice. Never looked back...

Do you mean current production?

I think they made a 24" Cowboy Limited between 1997 and 2000?

Yes. The current production model has a 20 inch barrel.
If he can find a used one with a 24" tube, especially with the non-microgroove barrel, I'd advise picking it up.~Muir

Marlin did make a Cowboy II with a tapered octagon 24-inch barrel in .357, .45 Colt, and .30-30, for a few years. Hard to find now.
Every time I see the mention of one, I kick myself for not buying one I found barely used, with a tang peep sight. Gorgeous rifles.

Think I would like to get myself a Marlin Cowboy with the Octagonal barrel in .357. If anyone has any experience of them I would appreciate some feedback. I would be using it without a scope and wondered what they are like.
I wondered what barrel lengths they come in as I'm sure I've seen them advertised with 24" barrels and 20" barrels, are the 20" straight from the factory or will they have been shortened.
I am not interested in any other makes just the Marlin
Cheers
Rimfire majic listed some second hand ones,but priced £1100

I know the OP didn't want to go this route, but I have an 18" Taurus/ Rossi 357 M-92 that is a splendid rifle. They make a 24" octagonal gun that has me wanting to add it to the collection. I shot one at the club last April and put 10 shots atop each other from a foreend rest at 50M.~Muir

Hi mate,i went hunting in the states with my mates lever action 30 30 ,he had a scope on it and when we zeroed it prior to going to the hunting area, i was getting 1" groups at 100 yards.A great little rifle
particularly for close range woodland work in thick brush,very popular in America and widely used along with the 30 - 06.:D

Thanks for all your input, I like the 24" barrel which seems to be on the older rifles so will try to find a decent priced one. I have the itch that must be scratched!!!! wether right or wrong

The Rossi is a clone of the Winchester 1892 action, which is a rack and pinion, like the larger 1886 and Model 71, so very smooth.
As the Rossi gets some use, it becomes very smooth. A lot of Cowboy Action shooters use them in .45 Colt

i didnt add to this as i havent got a marlin but i have got an early'ish (no safety catch) octagonal barrel rossi which, for the money, is imo a little gem of a rifle :)

Back