Pros and cons ?
Best make/type ?
Thanks in advance
Dave .

Hi
Why not!
Any calibre with enough recoil to justify it
pros - reduced recoil, no heavy barrel weight with a mod, better balance
cons- side blast, range queens next door won't like you, change in POI compared to none/mods
Make/type - Close to calibre as possible, side ported, rear angled

IMG_2589_zps20aa4ebf.jpg

Last edited:
Loads of talented gunsmiths making custom brakes, however I have a couple of the Tier One tac brakes which perform very well.

Tier-One | Muzzle Brakes

Their Spartan III mods (which are excellent) fit right over them, so there is very little POI shift when you need to stick your mod on.

Hi
Why not!
Any calibre with enough recoil to justify it
pros - reduced recoil, no heavy barrel weight with a mod, better balance
cons- side blast, range queens next door won't like you, change in POI compared to none/mods
Make/type - Close to calibre as possible, side ported, rear angled
Using one under cover on a busy range is a straightup inconsiderate dick manoeuvre which is why it's against most range regulations.

P.S. if you insist on using one in a busy place so you look cool, make sure you know which way up it's supposed to be installed.
An upside down brake kinda defeats the purpose and re-affirms your dick status.

Last edited:
I had to shoot next to someone using one today. Not a pleasant experience. I'm no "range-queen" but do think that whilst they may have a place for stalking, they have NO place on a rifle range and would be pleased if every range banned the bleeding things. The most anti-social appendage to any full bore rifle for use at a rifle range, that's a fact. No redeeming features if you happen to be the poor mug shooting in a lane next to someone using one, no debate needed. The "advantages" are only advantageous to the user, not those around them. Go use them stalking or on your own land. Please do not inflict the damned things on those sharing range time.

I have a muzzle brake which I got from Pinkney Engineering. I tried it a couple of times, once to zero with and once when shooting a few paper targets. Yes it did reduce the recoil on my .270 and yes it did make the rifle lighter and better balanced than my T8 moderator However I have not used it since as the noise from the rifle when using the muzzle brake is horrendous!
I don't bother with ear protection when using the rifle with the T8 fitted as I find no need to and I like to hear what is going on around me. If I were to use the muzzle brake when stalking I would have to carry ear protection with me and it would be a pain to fit my ear protection before taking a shot which would create extra (unnecessary) movement on my part which could be spotted by the deer and cause them to run (If that makes sense) - Most of my stalking is in woodlands and at relatively close ranges. Plus of course the extra noise generated by the muzzle brake would alarm everything for miles around so I personally would say that there is no place for a muzzle brake in stalking for me and out of consideration for others I would prefer to use my T8 if I were shooting on a range surrounded by other shooters.

Back