whats 150g ballistic tip like in 308

pete evans

I reload for 308 but have been given 80 rounds of norma and federal 150grain ballistic tip by a friend that has changed calibers. Whats it like? I currenty reload hornady interloc which work fine.

I reload for 308 but have been given 80 rounds of norma and federal 150grain ballistic tip by a friend that has changed calibers. Whats it like? I currenty reload hornady interloc which work fine.

I don't know as never used them but would be interested to find out also....

use the norma 308 bt hence my name love em in my steyr use on fallow and red dont want to tempt fate but 99% dead dont run on much no more than a few yrds ,i have used them on smaller deer and you do get a fair hole but dead is dead ,they cycle well in my steyr which was a problem with the federal so big tick from me :D

my mate uses norma 150 bt in his 308, ive seen a stag travel about 150yards after been shot in the rib cage tho, but its was a strange case of one entry hole an two exit holes in the rib cage, so dont know if the bullet split in 2 or not, both exits was about 1'' in diameter about 4'' apart from each other, strange,

he said he has never had that problem before,

+1. The 125s perform very well, i used to load these when i shot 308 and through a 26" barrel i used to get 3150fps with very good accuracy.

IMHO, a lot of nonsense is peddled about Nosler BTs.

Shoot enough deer and you discover that every bullet can exhibit odd terminal ballistics at times. I have recorded a fallow two-for-one with a standard factory soft nose round, which caused much disbelief and then mirth among the accompanying party at the time.

I use Nosler BTs 125s in 308 and 30-06AI and trust implicitly their predictable flight. Yes, they cause damage, but that's what a bullet is supposed to do. It's how they kill. The more quickly and the more humanely a bullet does so, the better, in my book. I use the .308 and download if I am taking clients for muntjac and roe, and I use a *stiff* load in the 30-06 AI for fallow in the middle of large fields in the winter. With appropriate placement it is as emphatic and as humane as it gets.

I don't fret about occasional meat damage and I do sleep well at night knowing I did the best I could for the animals I shoot.

I have used the 150g ballistic tips in the past through a .308 at approximately 2850fps. Never failed to kill anything but there were some deer where the bullet didnt appear to expand and others where the bullet simply came to bits. Nice and accurate but I gave up on them in the end

TBH im more interested in the brass. I could just knock the heads out but this seems a waste at todays prices. if anyone local (face to face) has once fired brass I would swap. Ive worked up a good load with interloks that puts bullet on bullet so these would sit in the cabinet for ages i suspect.

Just an aside - my Howa puts the Federal and Norma BT's into the same hole - funnily enough into the same hole go the Sako 123 gr soft points.....i don't mind the BT's but love the cheaper Sako's !!!

i have that with the 243 70 grain BT and 100 grain spbt go to the same zero. so fox of deer just take the appropriate round.

BTs have been redesigned/improved many times since they were first introduced. Most problems with the BTs were the earlier ones. I think that any bullet made within the last, 10 years is a superior deer bullet, if used at terminal speeds below 2800fps. My experience is with a7x57, 280, 308W and a 30-06. My observation is with the 150gn and 165gn, They perform the same, depending on speed. Using 7mm is a little different, the 120gn and the 150gn are much tougher than the 140gn. At 7-08 and 7x57 speeds I would use 120s or 140s. At 280 or 7x64 speeds I'd use the 120s or 150s. capt david

308 bt

Gents

I would second the choice of KevinF, I to use Nosler 125BT in my 308 & on the fallow its a great round, you dont tend to get too many travel too far on impact & if I ever get the odd one its due to my placement rather then the bullets ability to do the job.

At the days end it still has to be put in the right place & having experianced 2 deer in the last 10 days that were hit a bit far back I have had more than my fair share of blood trailing of late, in addition to the dog earning his keep for the next year!

If the shot is on the money then for me now the 308 is just a great all round choice, yes its not as flat as a good many, but when you know how it performs & with a decent modern scope then at humane ranges it will do the job on any UK species.:)

Regs Lee

I have used the 150g ballistic tips in the past through a .308 at approximately 2850fps. Never failed to kill anything but there were some deer where the bullet didnt appear to expand and others where the bullet simply came to bits. Nice and accurate but I gave up on them in the end

I had similar issues with 165 Nosler BT's not expanding in roe, was using partition which flattened roe, but tried the BT's as my local ran out of Partition's, and expected more expansion/ damage but shot two roe both reacted as if they had been missed and ran away and when recovered the entry and exit holes were the same size indicating the bullet had not expanded. Didn't shoot any more roe and didn't get the opportunity to try on larger species as i went back to the partitions.

Moose

BTs have been redesigned/improved many times since they were first introduced. Most problems with the BTs were the earlier ones. I think that any bullet made within the last, 10 years is a superior deer bullet, if used at terminal speeds below 2800fps. My experience is with a7x57, 280, 308W and a 30-06. My observation is with the 150gn and 165gn, They perform the same, depending on speed. Using 7mm is a little different, the 120gn and the 150gn are much tougher than the 140gn. At 7-08 and 7x57 speeds I would use 120s or 140s. At 280 or 7x64 speeds I'd use the 120s or 150s. capt david
Useful info...

TBH im more interested in the brass. I could just knock the heads out but this seems a waste at todays prices. if anyone local (face to face) has once fired brass I would swap. Ive worked up a good load with interloks that puts bullet on bullet so these would sit in the cabinet for ages i suspect.

Pete

If you want some .308 brass let me know - I seem to have accumulated boxes of the stuff!!

Dom

Back