6.5x55

tikka3006

just bought myself a tikka T3 in 6.5x55, can anyone recommend me a hunting load.
head,type & weight, powder, primer etc

thanks

Ian

look at 140grn Soft point mytikka 6.5 loves them deer have no opinion they tend to find them deadly.
Get used to them and use on all species you get no complaints from places where there are larger Reds down to munties.

This is what I use at the moment, it is safe in my rifle and is a book maximum load; 46.1 grains of N160, Lapua brass, CCI BR LR primer and a 129 grain Hornady SST.

th_Reloads.jpg
Simon

Last edited:
+1 for the 140 grn soft point. I've had great success with both Sierra Gameking and Horny Interlock (settled on the the SGK). I had a short dalliance with BT bullets but only use them for varminting now. I'm having a go with Berger VLD hunting at the moment but haven't shot enough deer with them yet to make my mind up; very accurate though. I currently use Vit N160 with Norma brass and CCi primers.

look at 140grn Soft point mytikka 6.5 loves them deer have no opinion they tend to find them deadly.
Get used to them and use on all species you get no complaints from places where there are larger Reds down to munties.

+1. The 129 SST is a great round in mine too.
Steve, I made a mistake on my recipe, it is N160 not N140. A stupid tying error which if followed could have resulted in catastrophe for someone. I apologise profusely :oops:

I have edited my post to show the correct powder. I will try and learn from my mistake!!

Simon

Steve, I made a mistake on my recipe, it is N160 not N140. A stupid tying error which if followed could have resulted in catastrophe for someone. I apologise profusely :oops:

I have edited my post to show the correct powder. I will try and learn from my mistake!!

Simon

Simon, I was just about to call you a sociopath and potential murderer, but then you redeemed yourself in time! LOL...

all joking aside, one should always triple check load data from manufacturers manuals before entrusting forum members opinions, no matter how credible they may be.

thanks guys.
picked up the rifle today and 140 rounds of fedral 140gn powershock, I've ordered some vit 160, bench rest primers, lapua brass and 40gn game kings, I'll let you know how I get on.
regards

Ian

Last edited:
120's , 140's re-loads with vit 160 - 44/46gr & ppu factory 139's all superb 100-600 yds :)

Why the yawn? Bell used a Mannlicher 6.5x53R at one point to shoot the Elephants for Ivory, One of the Arctic explores used another Mannlicher this time a Shoenauer for camp meat and bear protection, his was chambered for the 6.5mm Gibbs magnum. At one time, before the velocity stupidity in Scotland, the 6.5x54MS was one of the most highly regarded stalking cartridges. Suppose I could dig out the others who used 6.5's in Africa.

The cartridges are not excessive in weight nor pressure normally with the exception of possibly some of the 6.5mm/0.264" bore magnums so yes they are versatile and most often very user friendly.

Why the yawn? Bell used a Mannlicher 6.5x53R at one point to shoot the Elephants for Ivory, One of the Arctic explores used another Mannlicher this time a Shoenauer for camp meat and bear protection, his was chambered for the 6.5mm Gibbs magnum. At one time, before the velocity stupidity in Scotland, the 6.5x54MS was one of the most highly regarded stalking cartridges. Suppose I could dig out the others who used 6.5's in Africa.

The cartridges are not excessive in weight nor pressure normally with the exception of possibly some of the 6.5mm/0.264" bore magnums so yes they are versatile and most often very user friendly.

You misunderstand my yawn, Brit.

I'm sure 6.5mm (substitute this for .30 .270 7mm 6mm or whatever you like) is a fine calibre for all round work.

But how many threads turn into a calibre debate? Hence I think roedeerreds stirring spoon.

I shot the 6.5 for the first time today, after zeroing the 140gn power shocks gave a group of 1/2" at 100yds which opened up to 1 3/4" at 200yds, I'm sure this would close up in more capable hands. :D:D

Ian

Well done good start with fresh rifle tikka carnt fault that if you shoot at live quarry that accuratly youll have few problems 140s do the busi:thumb:

Yes devonoak you got exactly what I meant.

+ 1 on the heavier end sp's
139 privvi factory kills all my deer.
156 privvi sp's in the summer when the ranges tend to be less and there is undergrowth to contend with.
Tried to dislike these cheap cartridges but can't, they just keep working shoot to same zero and are very accurate, though slow.

You misunderstand my yawn, Brit.

I'm sure 6.5mm (substitute this for .30 .270 7mm 6mm or whatever you like) is a fine calibre for all round work.

But how many threads turn into a calibre debate? Hence I think roedeerreds stirring spoon.

Ahhh the problem is that a lot of shooters read a few articles in the gun rags written mostly by Gun-whores, those who will say anything to get the advertising revenue in, and actually believe what is printed. I'll bet the majority have never heard of let alone seen a 6.5x54MS or even a 6.5x57 so for them it starts and stops with 260 Rem or possibly the 6.5x55 :rolleyes:.

. I'll bet the majority have never heard of let alone seen a 6.5x54MS or even a 6.5x57 so for them it starts and stops with 260 Rem or possibly the 6.5x55 :rolleyes:.

There have been two 6.5x57's for sale on Guntrader just lately. Both were BDS prizes that people were selling on, which I thought was odd, as they were such lovely cased rifles. It is a very popular calibre on the continent but much less so here. I cannot see why it is not more popular.

Simon

Simon

No problem Simon...I use Varget :)

Back