Sika rut

222cwd

I have spoken to alot of people in scotland and the red rut seems to be on and off depending on area, so was wondering if the sika are doing anything yet in the peebles area as up there next week

rgds

222cwd

They had started whistling a few weeks ago and a couple I shot recently were empty and smelly. Then the warm weather hit last week and everything went quiet. However, I was out on Sunday night and heard 3 stags whistling. Weather is forecast as getting down to 7deg towards the end of the week so things should really begin to kick off again...

7 days at Sika stags!!!! Whether they are rutting or not it will be a very tiring and looooooooooooooooooooooong week!!!

I was out with a guest over the last 2 days and watched stags standing side by side feeding among hinds. No sign whatsoever of any rutting activity. The one we shot today had a full belly. The mild weather really has put it all on hold just now.

The rut here started 3 weeks ago then stopped, hearing a few stags whistling but not many. Saw 12 stags feeding together yesterday on neighbours ground, strange year. The Reds are rutting, last 2 we got had empty bellies and were stinking.Hopefully the Sika will get going again shortly
Al

The rut here started 3 weeks ago then stopped, hearing a few stags whistling but not many. Saw 12 stags feeding together yesterday on neighbours ground, strange year. The Reds are rutting, last 2 we got had empty bellies and were stinking.Hopefully the Sika will get going again shortly
Al

That about sums it up for us as well!

There is scrapes and wallows all over our ground as well from when it started to kick off.

I was speaking to sikamalc on the phone and he says they are whistling well up in sutherland.

sika are rutting in nw highlands misses shot 3 big boys last sat all empty and stinking all 3 to game dealers. shotz

Heard only one stag and that was tonight other than that nothing seems to be happening all scrapes and wallow not being use.

I was out in borders for Sika over weekend and yesterday, still plenty signs! stags whistling etc, my mate shot a nice eight pointer. i shot a four pointer and spiker friday past, all well into rut except spiker, bellys empty etc. Seen a stag hefting hinds yesterday as well, he was going for it! nice to watch.

Rut defo still on in some areas of Peebleshire.

Seeing a lot off mature stags this season with one antler broken. Called and shot my best sika to date last monday, well run, no fat and dressed out at 92lbs, still mostly in his summer coat. Passed a big stag this morning 5 yards off the road, black as hell and he would not move off, his right antler was snapped off above the pedicle. Just a pity i could not reach the camera.

Just back in and again I have seen stags among hinds showing no interest at all. 4th day on the trot without hearing a whistle. Still seeing them though...

Alot of whistling going on yesterday morning, first day i've heard as many. Shot three last night
Al

Out last night with my 2 young lads and only in the seat by 2 mins when we heard the first whistle of the night, very close to us. The look on their faces is not describable!!

heard another one when back at the car in the dark. That is the first whistle I have heard in about 6 outings.

Cold weather is due as well so fingers crossed...

Wish I had Sika, I know not all agree, but they add a dimension to stalking in Scotland, setting aside the hybridisation issues.....

The few times I have stalked them I really enjoyed the experience, my ground would be ideal for them as well....

Easier to get down than the big reds as well!

H.

Back