Seating Depth / cannelure

Sealgair nam fiadh

Hi All,
I have just started reloading (308W), using Varget Powder and 150grn Hornandy Interlock bullets. My reloading manual states that with Varget the Min OAL is 2.800" however the Interlocks have a cannelure which when seated at the Min OAL are not in the neck of the case. Would i be better off getting bullets with no cannelure or can i use the Interlocks ?
Thanks for any replies Pete

I load a very similar load but using N140 instead of Varget. Mine are also seated at 2.800" inch and they group under 1/2" all day long, the bottom of the cannelure is level with the top of the case. If they group, don't change a thing.

Tom

The canalure that you talk about on the interlocks is in fact the depression which locks the case to the core. It has very little relevance to seating depth unless you are roll crimping.

Thanks Guys, I loaded 10 rounds with a OAL of 2.805" 46 grains of Varget, the MV thru the chrono gave a 10 shot average of 2777.5 fps ( 20" barrel) and i got the ten shots into just under an inch , i wasnt letting the barrel cool, just 10 quick shots, perhaps a smaller group if i let the barrel cool between shots,but im happy.
Thanks for all your replies Pete

The canalure that you talk about on the interlocks is in fact the depression which locks the case to the core. It has very little relevance to seating depth unless you are roll crimping.

+1 :thumb: I use 100g interlocks and the ring is nowhere near the case and they are very accurate. I started with the ring at the case neck but could not get a decent group so measured to the lands then increased the oal till the groups tightened nicely.

Hi All,
I have just started reloading (308W), using Varget Powder and 150grn Hornandy Interlock bullets. My reloading manual states that with Varget the Min OAL is 2.800" however the Interlocks have a cannelure which when seated at the Min OAL are not in the neck of the case. Would i be better off getting bullets with no cannelure or can i use the Interlocks ?
Thanks for any replies Pete

Would be interested to find out how you get on as I've just loaded up some 165gn Interlocks using Federal Brass, Federal 210m Match primers and Reloader 15, TTL 2.010" and seating the bullet cannelure level to the neck of the case, overall comparator length 2.225". 5 each of 43.0gn, 43.4gn, 43.7gn, and 44gn. Was hoping to test them tomorrow but looks like the snow is on, so am gonna have to contain my excitement for now !!!! :doh:

You aren't allowed to shoot in the snow?? Wow. That sucks.~Muir
Hahahahaha I like that one muir,maybe his rifles are not conditioned for shooting in the snow,by our over zelous licensing regulations,I however have no such restrictions,:rofl:

If I couldn't shoot in the snow I'd be I'd be house-bound for lengthy periods between mid-October and early May. I was shooting my 308 last week using a canvas bedroll as a ground cloth, and then an old sleeping bag to put my lower half in while shooting prone. It kept the wind and snow from blowing up my back.~Muir

You aren't allowed to shoot in the snow?? Wow. That sucks.~Muir

Ha haa!! No problem with the shooting in the snow, just the getting there that's the problem!!! Managed to hitch a lift so all was good although didnt get a chance to test the bullets....did fire a few other shots though! :lol:

IMG_0372_zpsd8aebd46.jpg

IMG_0396_zpsc960434e.jpg

Yeah. It was -40 with the wind.~Muir

Sounds like my friend in northern Norway!, he reckons his best winter accessories are a huge pair of fluffy thermal slippers (may in fact be shaped like bunnies!) and a constant supply of hot chocolate!.

Sounds like my friend in northern Norway!, he reckons his best winter accessories are a huge pair of fluffy thermal slippers (may in fact be shaped like bunnies!) and a constant supply of hot chocolate!.

Here it's hot coffee and wood for the fire.~Muir

( I do have the fluffy slippers, tho)

Hahahahaha I like that one muir,maybe his rifles are not conditioned for shooting in the snow,by our over zelous licensing regulations,I however have no such restrictions,:rofl:
no please do not give police flm's any more crazy ideas
Lister :cuckoo:

I just got in from shooting in a white-lead-sheet kind of a snow storm. Not too cold when I started but steadily dropping. My gun, my scope, and my gear got a thorough coating of snow and my frost bite is acting up. I shot well though, so I don't mind.~Muir

Back