Wood burning stove

Stingercargill

Had a stove fitted in September and going great until last Thursday,
it is blowing smoke back into the house through the top vent .. Spoke to people at stove shop , they say it is the change in temperature .. Any idea what is causing this?

Last edited:
Sound like it's not drawing properly.
it certainly shouldn't be blowing smoke into the house, that's screaming co2 poisoning.
do you have a flue liner installed? And was a draw test carried out?

I am not buying that the change in temperature would have anything to do with it. -8 at home the other night and missus had our stove roaring. I get strong East and West winds where I live and sometimes this definitely does effect how the stove burns but not outside temperature. I would say it is most likely to do with restricted flow or lack of draw in the flue. My mate installs stoves every other day so I'll ask him and see what he thinks.

I am not buying that the change in temperature would have anything to do with it. -8 at home the other night and missus had our stove roaring. I get strong East and West winds where I live and sometimes this definitely does effect how the stove burns but not outside temperature. I would say it is most likely to do with restricted flow or lack of draw in the flue. My mate installs stoves every other day so I'll ask him and see what he thinks.
Thankyou

sorry what sort of wood burning stove?

do you have vent leavers(push pull) as part of the ash tray? what I'm asking is how is it vented? is the air flow blocked because of ash not cleared fully from the base ventilation
what happens if you partly open the doors?
anything nested/building on the chimney :) is there a directional top on the flue?

Is your flue high enough to get a decent amount of draw on a calm day? I think the minimum height to get a proper draw is 4.5m.

I have no issues running the fire whatever the weather , but I have got a pepper pot stack on the chimney which stops the wind rushing down the chimney so they say

what have u got on yours is it just a top hat or a proper chimney pot

as said its the draw that's at fault I think a talker chimney stack or pot increases the draw but I couldn't be sure

sorry what sort of wood burning stove?

do you have vent leavers(push pull) as part of the ash tray? what I'm asking is how is it vented? is the air flow blocked because of ash not cleared fully from the base ventilation
what happens if you partly open the doors?
anything nested/building on the chimney :) is there a directional top on the flue?
It's a villager. Vents on bottom and on top. Nothing nesting on chimney . If I open vents on bottom to get the stove going the smoke will come out of the top vent and if I open the door the smoke just pours out.

what are you burning

I would when cold completly hoover all ash areas/vents etc, in your flue do you have an inspection port?
I presume it all worked well when first installed?

Has the flue "tarred up" over a period of burning damp wood?=Flue may need cleaning...
What cowel do you have ontop?-strong winds can create down draughts
Is the flue high enough ie above ridgeline, there are set dimensions you can look up online...

Not familiar with that particular stove but it sounds as though the chimney/flue is obstructed.
If you had a liner fitted make sure it is still secure at the cowl and has not dropped back down the chimney, partially collapsing. This could obstruct the flow and cause the symptom you desribe.
Mine has a baffle plate located on pins directly above the burn area. I have been lazy in the past and tried to fit in too big a log. This can dislodge the baffle plate and obstruct the flow.
I can't think of anything else but hope that helps.

Either the chimney is blocked or it's just smoking because the flue isn't warm. Try burning a lot of crunched up newspaper (not densely packed) before lighting wood etc to warm up the flue. It might be that the colder, heavier air is just a bit harder to get moving up the flue.

I assume that you're having this problem when lighting a fire?

Hope I'm not trying to teach you how to suck eggs.

Either the chimney is blocked or it's just smoking because the flue isn't warm. Try burning a lot of crunched up newspaper (not densely packed) before lighting wood etc to warm up the flue. It might be that the colder, heavier air is just a bit harder to get moving up the flue.

I assume that you're having this problem when lighting a fire?

Hope I'm not trying to teach you how to suck eggs.
This is exactly what the man in stove shop said

Yes, I put in my own woodburner in previous house and would get a smoky start occasionally. Cold air in chimney is heavy and the smoke just finds an easier path.

The newspaper trick works well.

On the subject of woodburners, gr8fires.co.uk are fantastic to order from - good prices and service. £700 all in for my 8kw multi-fuel stove and flue liner etc. If anyone want's an installation diagram or drawing that I did, pm me.

Last edited:
Back