Flea & ticks

danban

Hi guys I have a Cocker spaniel she is 6 now and I have never had a problem with fleas or ticks until this year. I normally treat her with spot on every 6 weeks. Until this year I had never seen a flea on her but every 2 or 3 weeks now I notice the odd 1. Any idea what I can try to stop them?
Regards dan

Hi guys I have a Cocker spaniel she is 6 now and I have never had a problem with fleas or ticks until this year. I normally treat her with spot on every 6 weeks. Until this year I had never seen a flea on her but every 2 or 3 weeks now I notice the odd 1. Any idea what I can try to stop them?
Regards dan

Try regular swimming in sea water.

There are a few other threads on here about this.

When Frontline did not seem to be effective I tried Advocate which cleared the fleas immediately. Last Winter when the dogs were getting wet every day and I could not guarantee they would not dilute the stuff before it had got into the pores, I used Nexgard tablets which are made by Merial, the Frontline company. I have seen no fleas and it has been very effective on ticks, the ticks do not seem to last long enough to engorge and every one that I have found has been small and dead. Unlike frontline when they were still wriggling and had filled up when I took them off. I am going to use Advocate for a few months in the summer because it is good for lung worm and the old dog has become a revolting slug hunter! Advocate is not designed for ticks so I will be observant and always carry an O'Tom tick twizzler.

Alan

try garlic tabs, but you must keep them on all the time ,it apparently keeps leas, ticks ,midges off dogs and humans

I use frontline for 6 months of the year (colder winter weather) then switch to advantix for 6 months. The advantix is better for tics and I think switching every 6 months stops any immunity build up, I use religiously every month and have never found a flea or tic on any of my dogs for the past few years

Back