lead on boar?

Boarboy

I was just wondering if you have to adjust your lead on shooting boar with the bigger slower calibres such as 9.3 x62, 9.3 x 74, as opposed to the .308. At the moment i shoot a .308 at 2600fps and am thinking of going up to a 9.3 and didnt know whether i would just shoot the same or have to give more lead. From what i have learnt the 9.3 is about 2300 fps. Any ideas???

I think this is where practise on moving targets is beneficial before shooting for real. A couple of sessions on a moving target range should make you more familiar with your rifle or slug gun before encountering real running game. Driven game is normally shot at relatively short range where more instinctive shooting is required. Most countries that shoot driven game normally have a large number of moving target ranges, something that is sadly lacking in this country. In fact I personally only know of three such ranges but another is supposedly under construction in Somerset, though so far this has been on the cards for a number of years now.
In France nearly all gunsmiths appear to access to moving target ranges inaddition to fixed target zeroing ranges and I believe the same applies in Germany and much of Scandinavia.

I think this is where practise on moving targets is beneficial before shooting for real. A couple of sessions on a moving target range should make you more familiar with your rifle or slug gun before encountering real running game. Driven game is normally shot at relatively short range where more instinctive shooting is required. Most countries that shoot driven game normally have a large number of moving target ranges, something that is sadly lacking in this country. In fact I personally only know of three such ranges but another is supposedly under construction in Somerset, though so far this has been on the cards for a number of years now.
In France nearly all gunsmiths appear to access to moving target ranges inaddition to fixed target zeroing ranges and I believe the same applies in Germany and much of Scandinavia.

How about organising a group of like minded to fly by ryan/etc air to Germany for practising. There is for instance a top indoor range located 45 mins north of Munich airport and you can rent a rifle and buy ammo there costs for the range are 125 euros per hour 150 on weekends which is good for 5 shooters per hour to practise their skills and understand the difficulties of hitting in the body area.
I have no connection to them other than having been there to organise it for my hunting group to use.
Martin

Martin it sounds like a lovely idea but flying all the way to Munich for a couple of hours on the range is probably a bit over the top.

The nightlife should make it worthwhile:D

I think that would be the problem, my wife would be afraid to let me go for fear of me being led astray by some of you more experienced hands Eddie.:rolleyes:

Giving it a bit more thought though - If I recall correctly Bandit Country suggested that we try and hire the running deer range at The British Sporting Rifle Club (Bisley) for a get together some time? Now if that were possible sometime in the coming year, I am sure that there would be a fair bit of interest from those members of the site that are based in the southern part of the country.

If West Mercia personnel would cease & desist from shooting up the carriage, instead of the Boar plate.....................!:rolleyes:

Have I missed something here Steve? Would you be by any chance be commenting on something that happened at Minsterley perhaps, pray tell.

"How about organising a group of like minded to fly by ryan/etc air to Germany for practising. There is for instance a top indoor range located 45 mins north of Munich airport and you can rent a rifle and buy ammo there costs for the range are 125 euros per hour 150 on weekends which is good for 5 shooters per hour to practise their skills and understand the difficulties of hitting in the body area.
I have no connection to them other than having been there to organise it for my hunting group to use.
Martin "

Bisley has a running boar range and groups can go there and get proper instruction

Boar can run at speeds of up to 30mph over open ground (44 fps) but are slower in woodland cover.

So at flat out speed over open ground and at 50 yards (150 feet) amazingly you may need to give 2.2 feet of lead for a 3000 fps bullet. In woodland cover on the trott (15 fps) travelling at a third the flat out speed at 30 yards (90 feet) you need to give just less than 6 inches of lead so on the shoulder is a good guide on the trott closer in and on the move with a bit of distance go for the snout.

Using shotgun slugs at 1400 fps though needs an easy foot when at say 30 yeards on the trott so front of the shoulder at least.

"How about organising a group of like minded to fly by ryan/etc air to Germany for practising. There is for instance a top indoor range located 45 mins north of Munich airport and you can rent a rifle and buy ammo there costs for the range are 125 euros per hour 150 on weekends which is good for 5 shooters per hour to practise their skills and understand the difficulties of hitting in the body area.
Martin "

Bisley has a running boar range and groups can go there and get proper instruction
Last time I was at Bisley it was only a .22rf olympic range, has it been upgraded?
Martin

One of the most important things to remember when shooting running/flying game is to keep that rifle/shotgun moving at all times,do not get infront of the target and stop.

Martin it must have been a long time ago that you last visited Bisley. There are two .22 running boar ranges (50m) and a 100m centrefire running deer range, all at the British Sporting Rifle Club. They also have a 100m centrefire static target range with electronic target marking, I'm not sure but think there are six firing points. In fact the BSRC puts the rest of Bisley pretty much to shame.

8x57,
Yes it was a very long time 1985 in fact at the NSRA smallbore summer meet. I was there again this summer just for old times sake with my grandson from Munich but there was a ca. 2000 head harley biker meeting happening so it was difficult to see around the ranges.
I assumed like most English endeavours there were no funds available to improve it since 1985.
Anyway here is the link to the Munich area range if anyone is interested they could perhaps combine it with an Oktoberfest trip as it is only 200 metres from the A9 Nurnberg to Munich Autobahn and a reasonable priced hotel is on the complex also. The Bundespolizei also use it for training as I have often seen their big green buses parked outside so it must be up to snuff.
SCHIESSKINO.DE - Home
Regards and all the best for the coming year
Martin

Last edited:
Yes that was a long time ago and I understand that the running deer ranges were probably in a poor state of repair at that time. I know that the BSRC have rebuilt their ranges in fairly recent times and to pay for this they rent out their ranges to other clubs and organisations occasionally. When you visited Bisley last year you may have seen only the Lord Roberts complex which is run by the NSRA. In order to make that pay they rent the building out for all sorts of events including regular roller hockey.

I've just had a quick scan of the link that you posted, nice looking set up. Pity there aren't many like that in the U.K. I'm not sure if it was on this site or another that I saw a link for an indoor shooting complex in northern Germany that even included an indoor trap and skeet set up, now that is something that I must see!

Bavarianbrit this is the shooting centre to which I previously refered

I'm not sure if it exists yet but if it does it's one place I will have to go on a pilgrimage to.

Have a look at this also http://www.mszu.de/shop

Last edited:
8x57
heres the link, it seems to exist and it does appear to be the dogs danglies, although I had never heard of it mentioned in the journals and I get all 4 per month delivered.

Willkommen bei MSZU - Müller Schiess Zentrum Ulm | MSZU - Müller Schießzentrum Ulm

The clay range is definitly due to the greenys having so much power over here ref lead - noise pollution that it is forcing the closing down of a lot of the outdoor ranges.

It is located (89081 Ulm) use http://www.mapquest.de to find it 1.5 hrs west of Munich or 1,25 east of Stuttgart on the A8 Autobahn.
Martin

Back