My 1892 win in 44 rm

Lever Man

Hi all.
Just a pict or two off one of my rifles this one is a winchester 1892 44rm. Plus a nice roe taken at just under 100yrds with open tang sights.
All the best Lever Man.;)

The only .44 magnun rifle I ever thought kicked unmercifully was a Remington Model 788 bolt action. There was something about that gun: my handgun reloads which I thought very tolerable kicked the daylights out of me in the Remington.~Muir

What load were you using, and did it rattle your teeth?
Hi Harry. The load was Hornady Leverevolution 225grn-ftx and no teeth
rattleing very nice round in 44mag. I also use winchester 240grn for muntjac and fox.
All the best Lever Man.

I had a winchester 1892 take down in 25-20 a nice little gun but sold it on like you do.
All the best Lever Man.

Egads, that hurts! I've been looking for one of those for years (to no avail)...at least at a somewhat sensible price.

And yes, a 44RM in a lever gun...hurts.:dummy:
I think I still have a bruise from 7 years ago... LOL! :rofl:

I had a winchester 1892 take down in 25-20 a nice little gun but sold it on like you do.
All the best Lever Man.

Mine is a retired Australian Government issue. It was rebarreled by SPORTCO at some point. It's as tight as a tick and superbly accurate with 72 grain cast bullets. I also have a SPORTCO barreled Martini Cadet in 25-20 with a BSA tang sight. It also will shoot as well as I can hold. My son has a minty Savage 23B in 25-20 as well. IT will shoot tiny, one hole groups at 50M with that same load.

Can you tell I like 25-20??? :D The Marine would have a nice one too if he ever decided to put the project back on the front burner.:rolleyes:~Muir

Hey! Clear my six! :D Once the power gets put in, it is one of the first projects to get finished (still have your reamer BTW). :D

Lever Man: The FEO came on Monday and looks like I should begetting a .44 for deer:D, as such my eyes lit up when I saw this thread.
I know you mentioned you were using lever revolution ammo, werethese factory or reloads and if reloads, could you please give me some idea ofwhat works and if you have tried any other loads on deer.
I would also be quite interested if you could give me someidea of bullet performance in terms of penetration and meat damage?
Regards
Mike

44 ammo.

Lever Man: The FEO came on Monday and looks like I should begetting a .44 for deer:D, as such my eyes lit up when I saw this thread.
I know you mentioned you were using lever revolution ammo, werethese factory or reloads and if reloads, could you please give me some idea ofwhat works and if you have tried any other loads on deer.
I would also be quite interested if you could give me someidea of bullet performance in terms of penetration and meat damage?
Regards
Mike
Hi Mike.
Good luck with your 44 a great rifle for woodland stalking. But go for a 24inch barrell and get the max ft llb up to 2000lbs with the right ammo.
I use lever revolution and these are very good for knock down power most go though one side and out the other 1/2inch hole good wound channel so if
you have to follow one up you have a good blood trail. As for meat damage not that much as a 243 in my oppinion. Most of the deer i have shoot with
my 44rm have gone down on the spot or just a yard or two and fell dead. The winchester 240grn sjsp are also good accurate and hard hitting i use
these for muntjac and fox. I have been told this is a good round for bore. As for reloding that is something i would like to get in to at some time in the
future. Hope this is of some help. All the best Lever man.:)

I have shot deer with a 44 magnum handgun. The farthest was 70 yards and it fell over. By the time I got to the spot it was quite dead. Forty-four hole in, about 60 cal out. This was with Federal 240 grain HP from an 8" single shot Contender. The Federal was, in my experience, the most accurate factory 44 magnum ammunition available 30 years ago. I wouldn't know about today as I have strictly handloaded for this fine round every since...~Muir

Lever Man,
I Think I may struggle to get 2000ft/lbs as I am looking at something with an18inch barrel. However, it’s good to hear good reports about the leverrevolution ammo; did you have trouble getting hold of it and what kind of priceare they?

Muir: “and it fell over” :rofl: I expect most loads will knock them down prettywell within sensible distances, unfortunately in GB we must comply with energyregulations which are skewed in favour of velocity. I intend to hand load andam hoping to be able to get some 240grs deer legal, if not i will have to startgoing lighter. Do you have any recommendation loadwise? I am particularlyinterested to know if heads designed for handguns will stand up to the extravelocity.

Regards

Mike

Lever Man,
I Think I may struggle to get 2000ft/lbs as I am looking at something with an18inch barrel. However, it’s good to hear good reports about the leverrevolution ammo; did you have trouble getting hold of it and what kind of priceare they?

Muir: “and it fell over” :rofl: I expect most loads will knock them down prettywell within sensible distances, unfortunately in GB we must comply with energyregulations which are skewed in favour of velocity. I intend to hand load andam hoping to be able to get some 240grs deer legal, if not i will have to startgoing lighter. Do you have any recommendation loadwise? I am particularlyinterested to know if heads designed for handguns will stand up to the extravelocity.

Regards

Mike

Mike,
The bullets for the handgun will easily stand the extra velocity; They are also used in the .444 Marlin. About the absolute top end for the 240grain bullet in a carbine will be 1800 fps. That's 1700 ft lbs and a little bit. If you drop to a 180 grain bullet, you could get over 2100 fps and thereby get in the ball park of that 2000 ft/lb mark.

Yes, the velocity requirements are silly.~Muir

Hi MIKE.
If you can go for a 20 to 24 inch barrel as more barrel = more ftlbs leverrevolution 1747ftlbs from a 20inch more from the 24inch Order lever ammo from your gun shop
though Edger Brothers ltd. Price £98 per 100-£19-62p per box of 20. Are you going for a Winchester or the Marlin?.
All the best Lever Man.

Muir: Thanks for the advice. I think i am going to try the 240gr noslers or 225gr hornadys and I will let you know how I get on.

Lever man: I am torn between a Marlin and a Ruger carbine, both primarily because of the ease with which you can mount a scope compared to a Winchester. I have found the lever revolution heads on midway so may try loading the things myself. Thanks for your advice and please post pictures of anything else you take with the .44.

Regards Mike

Muir: Thanks for the advice. I think i am going to try the 240gr noslers or 225gr hornadys and I will let you know how I get on.

Lever man: I am torn between a Marlin and a Ruger carbine, both primarily because of the ease with which you can mount a scope compared to a Winchester. I have found the lever revolution heads on midway so may try loading the things myself. Thanks for your advice and please post pictures of anything else you take with the .44.

Regards Mike

Mike: Before you spend money on "premium" bullets think of this: It really doesn't matter about bullet construction with the ballistic dynamics the 44 magnum hands you. A hard cast lead bullet will give you better performance in many instances than jacketed premium bullets. I have not loaded a jacketed bullet for deer hunting (or any kind of hunting) in my Ruger Redhawk revolver in a couple of decades. I'm not saying that you should start casting bullets but this should point to the lack of need for anything too spendy. Instead, find bullets that you can get cheaply and shoot a lot! My advice, at least.~Muir

Back