Driving To Poland

greenhillstairs

Hi; I've a few business/pleasure trips planned to Poland this year, I'm flying there first off in April. Of course Flying is the most efficient and likely economical route, however as I'm sure others likewise experience, nowadays with the measly limits allowed on luggage with normal economy class aside from the security restrictions, it can severely limit what luggage you can take and likewise wish to bring back. The place I'm staying in April is up North, a few forays on Roe and a few nights out after "Dzik" are planned, this place is a little of the back of beyond. Mid-week I wish to get down to Krakow business and a little pleasure My Mr's is tagging along on this one as she really fancys a bit of sightseeing in Krakow. Try as I might, struggling to find a hire car that I can pick up local and leave at Krakow, the service simply doesn't look to exist outside the major towns/city's. I'm well used to driving long distances abroad and at home, I don't really mind it at all, indeed only recently returned from a trip to South Africa were I drove literally thousands of miles, very much enjoying most of that experience. I appreciate its a fair old jog to the northern reaches of Poland, especially as I'm based in the North of England and likely to go via the channel tunnel route, that's a 4hr run before I even start to exist the country. Anyone with any experience whom cares to share that would be greatly appreciated. Conscious likewise of the current position on the immigration crisis across much of Europe, that is unlikely to help. What is it like of late crossing the necessary borders? I should add I don't intend travelling with any firearm's, however all the rest of the usual paraphernalia for a weeks hunting/business trip (With the Mrs in tow, nough said:rolleyes:)

I hope likewise to bring home some art and crafts ideas back for my new business venture, of which are in some cases likely to contain real Deer Antler. Are they particular lets say "Fastidious" at the border crossings? I realise with real Deer antler "Red Stag" to be specific, I will need to do a little more homework on that aspect. My hope though is to be in a position to take plenty gear, a few gifts for my mates out there and likewise bring a car full back, this without worrying about baggage limits or trying to hire a car out in the sticks. Thanks in advance, best regards; Ste:)

Last edited:
So, I drive from home here in the UK to my second home in Southern Poland at least twice a year, I also extend the trip and travel to Ukraine, Slovakia, Czech, Hungary etc.
I normally drive the 775 mile to Dover in one go, stay overnight in Dover and head to France fresh in the morning.
I then travel the 950miles to Bielsko in one or two, depending on how I feel, it is possible in one..
However the roads in the north are very poor and even using the new roads it takes a long time to get to somewhere like Gdansk and it would certainly take two days from Dover.
As for carrying things like Antler etc, no problem, we are all part of the EU and we can carry most things back and forth, simply think, " is it legal in the UK?" if the answer is yes, then bring it over.

If you are in the north, have you thought of the ferry from Hull. Arrive in Holland refreshed after a nights sleep and able to make a fair push on for the day.

David.

There is also a ferry Newcastle - Ijmuiden (Amsterdam) - booked that way in May for a longish trip, but it is not cheap.

I know they aren't cheap, but figure in the return mileage to the south coast and the fact that there is probably one nights accomodation saved and the sums look a bit better.

David.

I know they aren't cheap, but figure in the return mileage to the south coast and the fact that there is probably one nights accomodation saved and the sums look a bit better.

David.

Very true - but for me coming from the north of Scotland the big issue is the uncertainty provided by the traffic chaos of SE England - M11, M25, M2, WHY. Nairn to Newcastle is do'able without any major risk of delay.

I am off myself for a 4k mile trip to Europe mid-May - just booked the Newcastle to Ijmuiden ferry. Quite fancy a road trip to Poland? Never found any problem crossing European borders in a car - with or without firearms. I drove Munich to southern Carinthia to hunt Chamois - crossed the border in a hired Merc at 160 kph!

Thanks very much for the valued information Guy's, I’m already beginning to regret a little more now being committed to booked flights for my April trip, of course wont be in a position to bring back any Stag antler, of which will be a big disappointment if the right quality is available at the right price.

Really useful info thank you, further planned trips later inthe year. I will now definitely consider loading up the "Rangey" , may even consider taking along a Rifle.

I have a few excellent opportunities to secure some really fine quality heavy stag antler, something of course that I simply can’t get my hands on overhere. I am keen to work with this for my Antler chandelier collection, strong potential of a bespoke commission for a high-end clothes retailer that resides within the Trafford centre, one that could really open up some doors for me. I hope and suspect it will be more akin to North American Elk Antler, the designs of which I have much admired on the occasional visit to the Elk capital of the states has its often referred Jackson Hole. Jackson really is the mecca so to speak for Antler and Native Art's and crafts, some really fine and stunning pieces, with prices to match! Intially I tried getting one or two pieces imported, but the costs let alone the paperwork is prohibitive.

A Pint or two, bite to eat and a good nights kip!! To pardon the "Pun" now really floats my boat, a boat now most likely to sail from Hull :lol:

Once again thanks very much. ATB Ste

Last edited:
Very true - but for me coming from the north of Scotland the big issue is the uncertainty provided by the traffic chaos of SE England - M11, M25, M2, WHY. Nairn to Newcastle is do'able without any major risk of delay.

I am off myself for a 4k mile trip to Europe mid-May - just booked the Newcastle to Ijmuiden ferry. Quite fancy a road trip to Poland? Never found any problem crossing European borders in a car - with or without firearms. I drove Munich to southern Carinthia to hunt Chamois - crossed the border in a hired Merc at 160 kph!
Naughty, all EU borders require you to pass through them at around 70kph max if you had been caught and booked and fined a hefty sum would you now be so cocky about it?

I know of several Polish who quite regularly drive from Cornwall to Poland including Krakow.
they go via Dover and take circa 24hrs non stop.
they have said its a bit slower through the French borders of recent but relatively straightforward otherwise.

Try Harwich to Hook of Holland.
We did this a couple of years ago for a caravan holiday in Holland and it was great.
Evening sailing and drive off in Holland at about 7am.
Cheaper than the Newcastle run which we did a number of years ago and easier than Dover plus you get your sleep.
Also we collected Tesco clubcard point got a discount on the crossing in exchange for the vouchers.
In Holland it was less than an hour drive between The Hook and Ijmuiden

Naughty, all EU borders require you to pass through them at around 70kph max if you had been caught and booked and fined a hefty sum would you now be so cocky about it?

As far as I can remember there were NO speed limits on the Munich - Salzburg autobahn, until south of Salzburg.......

Having passed through TWELVE European borders in my own car in 2014 I was only stopped twice - once at the ferry at Calais and at the Austria - Lichtenstein crossing. I don't recall there being any speed limits or barriers (and in most cases not even a marking!) at any of the others, other than where this was required for other purposes. I DO recall thinking when crossing from France to Germany over the Rhine at a tiny "B" road girder bridge "...with a fake passport and a huge false moustache we might get away with this....".

There are no limits on the autobahn down from Munich but at the border crossings you are required to go through at a safe speed as the state controllers (passport, customs etc) still have the right to do spot checks and for their and everyone elses safety and convenience these limits are in place.
I do think they are fair.
Now going from Austria into Germany at this Salzburg crossing the effective actual speed limit is 2 mph due to every vehicle waiting on a up to 3 km traffic jam for the German border control is checking every vehicle.
Thank you Frau Merkel.
Martin

Back