suppressors?

tahoe2

While looking at some hunting photos in the gallery, I noticed rifles with suppressors. Are they a hunting requirement? just curious.

Hi mate, suppressors,or moderaters are not a hunting requirement but are becoming very popular. One ground that I hunt on insist on using them as it does keep the noise down and the fallow there are very jumpy.They are very good at reducing recoil. They also help with accuracy for eg. my 243 will shoot 1 inch groupps at 100 yards but with the moderater that group comes down to a neet clover leaf touching. i use it all the time on my 243 . I have no plans to put it on my 30-06 as this shoots 1 and half inch groups all day and dont need that much accuracy with such a big cal. I will however put one on my 270 as it is a bit of a "lively" gun to shoot. I do notice that with a moderated rifle when you take the shot the rifle doesnt jump so that you can see the round hit.
Hope this helps, Tusker.

If you shoot on Forestry Commission Land (state owned, but you still have to pay) then yes they are compulsory, most people after using one for a while would not go back to shooting without one.

ATB

Tahr

Last edited:
Since I spied the suppressors/moderators, I have been researching them here in the states, $200 US dollars for the state permit (federal stamp), and $600-$1200 US for the can.
I have two mausers that I would equip, one in 7x57 (deer, & antelope) and one in 8x57 (elk & bear). That's more money than the rifles cost (damn!)

Nope not a requirement, i have a 30-06 mod gathering dust in my gun cabinet.
Didnt stop me shooting mule deer in Montana recently, even if it were legal to use one in Montana i would never have taken it with me.
End of the day it's a personal decision.
Cheers
Richard

Since I spied the suppressors/moderators, I have been researching them here in the states, $200 US dollars for the state permit (federal stamp), and $600-$1200 US for the can.
I have two mausers that I would equip, one in 7x57 (deer, & antelope) and one in 8x57 (elk & bear). That's more money than the rifles cost (damn!)

For a long time I had one .30 cal mod which I put on whichever rifle I was shooting (243 or 260). This worked until my Dad asked to borrow the 260 Rem, so I had to go and buy another moderator. Regards JCS

Back