Some advice needed on DSC2

ianc

I have completed my DSC1 3 months ago and not got out much after this
I would like to start my DSC2 but being advised to get much more time in before I start
What is your experience of the DSC2 and what is the best approach
thanks

Ian,you don't mention how long you have stalked for. If you have stalked for a while, and shot quite a few deer then you will be ok. However, if you have only just got into stalking I would wait a while until you have shot a fair few. ATB Rich

I dont think its worth jumping into straight away. You need to be confident in your methods that they are correct and you feel comfortable with doing them. If you have only shot a handful of deer then the chances of you getting enough experience is slim. In fairness, if you are asking the question then its probably too soon.

Are you stalking unaccompanied? how many deer have you shot and 'dealt' with? How many stalks have you been out on?

I did my DSC 1 over a year ago, I'm waiting until I've had at least six stalk, kill, and gralloch on my own before I sign up for the level 2. No point in going in half cocked. It depends on what experience you have, if you're very confident and competent in the procedure and do it regularly then why not do it straight away, if not then wait until you have the experience to do it. There's no rush is there, should still be plenty of deer around for the next few years!!!!!!!!

Ian

The short answer is it depends. I suggest you contact DMQ.
DMQ - Setting the standard for wild deer management
I would ask DMQ for the names of a couple of Approved Witnesses near you in Lancashire. Then arrange to meet up with the handiest one and get his assessment of where you are at. You can talk through with the AW your current experience, background, access to stalking etc and he can give you an opinion on the best way forward.
In summary, you need to meet an active Approved Witness and take his steer on next steps.
Good luck. JCS (AW)

Last edited:
Experience is what matters not the length of time between modules. An experienced stalker could do one after the other but without experience you would just be wasting time and money. There is a tendency for people to jump too soon from Level 1 to Level 2 and then when they get knocked back on their assessed stalks they get disillusioned with it all. I personally would advise that you only apply for it when you are confident, and maybe even speak to an AW or two, to get a feel of what is the required standard. There are plenty of AW's on here who are very helpful, you have to remember that if you have a miserable time doing your stalk, there will not be much enjoyment in it for them either. Stalking is a thing we do because we enjoy it, so don't put yourself under unnecessary pressure, it is not a race.

Well that would be my advice anyway

John

Ian

The short answer is it depends. I suggest you contact DMQ.
DMQ - Setting the standard for wild deer management
I would ask DMQ for the names of a couple of Approved Witnesses near you in Lancashire. Then arrange to meet up with the handiest one and get his assessment of where you are at. You can talk through with the AW your current experience, background, access to stalking etc and he can give you an opinion on the best way forward.
In summary, you need to meet an active Approved Witness and take his steer on next steps.
Good luck. JCS (AW)

On what JCS has said, if you get in touch with the people at the British Deer Society North West Region they'll have all the advice you need, they do mentoring and approved witness if needed. They are very knowledgable and friendly. You can get in touch with them through the web site: http://www.bds.org.uk/north_west_england.html

Ian
Firstly
well done on passing your DSC1

why not try this route or atleast give it some thought

Give John at yorkshireroestalking a shout and book a few outings on Roe does/kids
he is also an AW
Does/kids are cheap stalking in an area where there seems to be lots of deer and Roe does/kids are quite easy to learn to stalk on,
if successful just as easy to work on whilst learning to do a gralloch to an exceptable standard for gaining experience towards your L2
listen to what he has to say and follow his actions and advice
from there you will get more and learn more from just a couple of outings with him than you ever will over the phone
when you then feel you are ready Apply for your L2 , then book john for a couple more outings on Roe does
as you will not only know his ground a little but also be comfortable in his presence as a witness when the time comes

I also know a few more stalkers that are in-expensive and also AW's that I can recommend in the midlands area
outings with these guys will only serve to lead you in the right direction on a multiple type of terrain and deer species from reds to munties
PM if you need any help
ATB

ianc,
You have 3 years from receiving your level 2 portfolio to complete it before you have to re register...I think.
You can start familiarising yourself straight away with what is required from you, the candidate, when you receive your portfolio.
The current edition no 6 also includes an extremely helpful CD rom which goes through the requirements step by step and also what we, as AW,s may ask and expect you to be able to demonstrate.
There is no substitute for practical experience. You can not 'fail' your level 2, you can however have your portfolio returned to you for not containing enough evidence of experience or relevant material,or, an AW may advise you that more experience or training is required.
If you need to ask anything you can PM me for advice anytime.
Regards.
S.

Back