Question about Roe deer numbers

varmint223

Hi chaps ,

I am new on the forum and just trying to find out peoples thoughts on things....

My question is given the amount of Roe deer that are now showing up in all sorts of places
do you think goverment or animal agencies will try a capture and relocate operation in the future ......any thoughts on this one guys just for the sake of debate

cheers
Tommy

Cant see the point of capture and relocate myself, unless you mean relocate to the larder? relocation would then overpopulate one area driving them into other outlying areas and the removal from a location would just mean migration from other areas back into the caught up area.
We hadnt seen roe in this area (other than a very small group in one wood) for many years (15-20) and just this season I've counted 13 in just three of the shoot woods on the estate.Interestingly, not a buck amongst them so far has been seen. Keepers are leaving them and just hoping the local travelling community dont spot them.

Hi just never mind Wales let them walk south east white rose county we will look after them Rare/garlic/nice glass of red :thumb:

My answer is no they will not and the actions north of the border suggest nothing will change and the deer will be culled heavier then ever

Agree with 6pointer the government will do nothing but let a problem grow.Bambi factor and all that.what is really needed is to get then to admit they need controling and educate people of that.
as for muntie numders that is another topic for debate.

Maybe i just see more of them as i am usually nightshift but I have noticed a lot more than i ever have especially along the M8 motorway and the M74 near Strathclyde park area , twice in the last 5 months i have had them run across in front of the car just missing them by inches.......underwear needed changing the second time cause I nearly crashed the car......lol , it's the same as foxes i can easily see around 70-100 foxes a week around Glasgow area

I personally think its great to see such quantaties of deer gracing our country, it shows the natural habitat is getting better & the countryside healthier. Many folk still dont beleive there are so many about, let alone have seen one & lets face it .Its better than ever i can remeber for all live stock numbers , incl sheep ......but its not like there outa hand like rabbits ! One good year & they thrive, 2 bad winters & they dwindle dramatically........thats nature ;) Use dont abuse , manage them well & they be there for years to come making our sport a real pleasure , & the sunday roast more enjoyable :)

hi varmit223 i dont think the goverment will do anything about and you will have seeen more deer the last few months as there is not alot of cover for them and they move out more to feed this time of the year
atb tom

All good points of view there lads , the reason I asked about capture / relocation was that if they increase to such a level around built up areas and main roads / motorways etc there will probably be a complaint by members of the public / drivers to do something about it......

cheers
Tommy

A .243 round is a lot cheaper than an ampule of tranquiliser, need I say more?

PS And easier to administer.

Last edited:
A Building Contractor friend of mine thought he had done a good deed when encountering a roe deer in the middle of a busy road in East End of Glasgow and shephered it into an empty yard. He called SPCA thinking they would come and capture it but they arrived with a fit and competent stalker who quickly dispatched it and removed the carcass much to tthe surprise and horror of my mate. SPCA advised that the roe would probably be too stressed if captured and not survive and with plenty in the wild, best solution was culling.

Tommy- totally agree with you on the numbers around M74, seeing them in the smallest islands between intersections and slip roads where only route back to cover is over the main carriageway with potential resultant RTA. However, until there is fatalities the Councils/Police will not react.

There has been loads of rta's round about m74/bothwell road but no fatalities as yet, but they will not allow any culling whatsoever.I was in the area last month with my camera and counted 11 roe with 5 in the same picture at once and at least 2 medal heads have been seen.

Talking of Motorways some countries put in tunnels underpasses specially for animals migrating as far as I am aware tihs has not been done in GB. although Roe do not move that far I suppose spread due to being kicked out by parents is a form of migration. Also what is planted on sides of all new roads (trees)deer fodder:!::doh:clever planners.
There will come a time when fit and competant (trained marksmen in some languages) persons will HAVE to be used in these areas.you may also need body armour to protect you from Antis.
Some years ago I had to dispatch a healthy buck in a park in Doncaster,yobs were chasing it with sticks and dogs. but the abuse I got going in to dispatch in using the 243 was quite extensive.
Many do not realise a liscance is needed to transport any wild animal and if rehabilitated should be released with 1KM of point of capture.

We have a small space almost devoid of roe here in the south east..Its called KENT. Capture else where and release here would be welcomed with open arms. Save a fortune in fuel travelling to far distant places to use the rifle:D.

A Building Contractor friend of mine thought he had done a good deed when encountering a roe deer in the middle of a busy road in East End of Glasgow and shephered it into an empty yard. He called SPCA thinking they would come and capture it but they arrived with a fit and competent stalker who quickly dispatched it and removed the carcass much to tthe surprise and horror of my mate. SPCA advised that the roe would probably be too stressed if captured and not survive and with plenty in the wild, best solution was culling.

Tommy- totally agree with you on the numbers around M74, seeing them in the smallest islands between intersections and slip roads where only route back to cover is over the main carriageway with potential resultant RTA. However, until there is fatalities the Councils/Police will not react.

Hi firstimer , that is where i am seeing a lot of them just now ( as you say the islands between the intersections) but i have to admit that i have changed my driving habits as i do a lot car driving late at night through to the morning with my job ( Scotrail ) and just don't fancy hitting one full pelt so i do go slower now ( and i have to be very careful as my wife adores them !!)lol

There has been loads of rta's round about m74/bothwell road but no fatalities as yet, but they will not allow any culling whatsoever.I was in the area last month with my camera and counted 11 roe with 5 in the same picture at once and at least 2 medal heads have been seen.

Would be grateful if you could email that picture sakoson as my better half loves deer

cheers
Tommy

Talking of Motorways some countries put in tunnels underpasses specially for animals migrating as far as I am aware tihs has not been done in GB. although Roe do not move that far I suppose spread due to being kicked out by parents is a form of migration. Also what is planted on sides of all new roads (trees)deer fodder:!::doh:clever planners.
There will come a time when fit and competant (trained marksmen in some languages) persons will HAVE to be used in these areas.you may also need body armour to protect you from Antis.
Some years ago I had to dispatch a healthy buck in a park in Doncaster,yobs were chasing it with sticks and dogs. but the abuse I got going in to dispatch in using the 243 was quite extensive.
Many do not realise a liscance is needed to transport any wild animal and if rehabilitated should be released with 1KM of point of capture.

Good points there , I am not sure I would like to have to shoot one in front of onlookers or anti's because like you say you will get dogs abuse....if not worse.....lol

Back