CCTV advice needed

crouch valley

Hi there after some little shxx decided to steel some Items from out of my car and carport Ive decided I would like to put a cctv camera up. I only need one camera. If any one has Instaled a kit and they are happy with it I would love your recommendations.

Hi there after some little shxx decided to steel some Items from out of my car and carport Ive decided I would like to put a cctv camera up. I only need one camera. If any one has Instaled a kit and they are happy with it I would love your recommendations.

Storage options from ebuyer...

hi
my wife is a police cctv person and says MAPLINS sell very good cctv ,only advice being keep in mind the issue of lighting most cant see in the dark .
also be carefull you are only filming your property not your neighbour .sencible to put signs up in case it goes to court .
regards norma

Dlink are good. Motion activated etc...

Got a couple, email pics when sense movement, or upload to FTP server

Don't get unbranded cheap kit as it probs won't be working when you need it so not worth bothering with

You need to get a digital recorder and a quality external camera with infra red.
Make sure you buy an external camera!
Recorder:
Samsung SRD-470D 4 Channel Real Time Digital Recorder H.264 - 500GB

Camera:
Samsung SCO-2080R High Resolution 600TVL Black IR LED Bullet Camera 50M Range 12/24V

Hope this helps
UK Guy

:thumb: - - Samsung - - good, reliable, CCTV kit for the money. - - I use it in preference nowadays.

Make sure image quality is very good, we use it in work and unless the image is clear its no good in court, so buy cheap and all you get is a you-tube video of someone breaking into you car...:doh:

Don't get unbranded cheap kit as it probs won't be working when you need it so not worth bothering with

You need to get a digital recorder and a quality external camera with infra red.
Make sure you buy an external camera!
Recorder:
Samsung SRD-470D 4 Channel Real Time Digital Recorder H.264 - 500GB

Camera:
Samsung SCO-2080R High Resolution 600TVL Black IR LED Bullet Camera 50M Range 12/24V

Hope this helps
UK Guy

Good advise on quality kit but that particular recorder has had a high failure rate for a professional security company I am involved with. Please stay away from the Maplin or shed CCTV kits though. If you want some advise on the phone pm me and I will steer you in the right direction. P

As for the legalities of fitting a camera to your own private property, signs advertising it's presence are not required. Some inadvertent recording of public property like the edge of the pavement in front of your property is acceptable when the obvious focus of the camera is on yours and it's the edge of picture picking up the street. there have been cases where folk have set up a camera to film their own vehicle parked on the street and nothing else, and this has been accepted. Each one probably on its own merits though.

A commercial property that allows access to the public must put signs up and register their system with the Information Commissioner. As you are in England and I am referring to Scottish requirements the bit about the IC might be worth checking on.

Can you leave a light on throughout the night that illuminates the area you are concerned about? If so white lighting is the most compatible with CCTV. yellow street lighting does not provide a true rendition of colours, which may be important in identifying culprits from their clothing. criminals don't like brightly lit areas, especially ones that are looked onto by neighbouring properties. leave the light on all night if possible.

Also consider the height the camera is placed at. You want it high enough to be tamper proof but too many cameras are fitted so that they record the logo on the top of the wee sh*tes baseball cap and no facial image below it. If there's only one access point to the area can the camera be fixed to a wall at head height looking straight at whoever walks into the car port? I know that may not make the camera safe from being attacked but by then it will have already recorded them and may if it has been seen cause them to turn away and leave.

Problem with infrared is that if it is operating covertly and the wee sh*tes don't know it is there, then its not working as a deterrent. The crime may end up occurring and then you're relying on the police being able to identify and trace the person filmed. Better they are put off from committing the crime in the first instance and they move off somewhere else.

You should contact your local police station and ask how to go about getting a home security survey done by one of their Crime Prevention Officers. They are free.

You must ensure that the camera is not showing anyone else's property that why a simple sign will help "should" it go to court .the most expensive cameras on the market are useless if the area is not lit at night hence maplin CCTV should be more than adequate .you would also be surprised how many folks don't routinely clean lenses of spider webs and dust and even dont check time and date are correct ..... Very important as having footage is useless if it is two days or even weeks out of date . You may even find if it is repeated criminal damage your force will fit a tempory one to catch the villain.
we are testing a cheap set up at the moment it s watching our chickens
regards
norma

This company have a wide range of systems, but there are many others who sell on he Internet.
CCTV Direct, CCTV Systems, Security Cameras, Surveillance & IP Cameras

ironically modern cameras do like the dark and actually record at higher resolution in the dark (in black and white) than they do in colour during the day. What they do not like is harsh bright light pointing at the cameras - think of the camera like your eye - you don't like to stare directly at a light bulb. Also if you have PIR lights these will cause the cameras an issue but basically the more constant light the better as with the the correct type of lights positioned thoughtfully you can have 24 hr colour recording which is of a high standard.

You need to decide how much you want to spend as ultimately this drives what dvr you buy and which cameras. Fitting is straightforward hardest part will be drilling the holes and hiding the cables.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks for all your replys. It is just my drive way the camera will be looking over and no one elses property. I have now added more lighting and taken on board your comments but since posting this I have found out my brothers friend is a cctv instaler and he's going to come and have a look for me and see what he can do. Its a shame we have to go so far to protect our own property. This all happened early hours of friday morning and the police have still not been around to see me.

This company have a wide range of systems, but there are many others who sell on he Internet.
CCTV Direct, CCTV Systems, Security Cameras, Surveillance & IP Cameras

ironically modern cameras do like the dark and actually record at higher resolution in the dark (in black and white) than they do in colour during the day. What they do not like is harsh bright light pointing at the cameras - think of the camera like your eye - you don't like to stare directly at a light bulb. Also if you have PIR lights these will cause the cameras an issue but basically the more constant light the better as with the the correct type of lights positioned thoughtfully you can have 24 hr colour recording which is of a high standard.

You need to decide how much you want to spend as ultimately this drives what dvr you buy and which cameras. Fitting is straightforward hardest part will be drilling the holes and hiding the cables.

Hope that helps.

Good advice here as well. Comment about the positioning of light very pertinent to avoid glare...

For evidential purposes most systems are recomended that they record and store 30 days worth of footage, sumply because it may take a few days to discover something is missing.

think of it this way...

Make your property so unattractive to a ctiminal they move off to someone elses. If the risk is not worth the pay off generally you will be left alone...

Back