Starting load for 308 - 150gr SST's with Varget

Win Mod 70

Hello can anyone help me out. Waiting on my reloading program and my mates not got back to me yet with an answer from Quickload.
Looking for a starting load for 308 win, 24" barrel, 150gr SST's #30302, with Varget powder.
Its going to rain all day so I want to make use of my time.

Cheers Andy

Counting down to the start of the Fallow season... Not long now

Hi I use exactly the same load and find that 44.5gr varget does the trick
however you need to follow data and find what works for your rifle. Part of the fun of load developement for me , frustrating and rewarding . Developing a load can take a lot of time . Having said that you can very quickley stumble across a clover leaf load in short order .

Drop a donation in, best site for rifle/ powder /re-load info i ever seen, The guy must be glues to the seat in the range !!

http://stevespages.com/308_13_150.html

Great amount of information, but sometimes less is more too. I just looked at the .243w 85-87g with Varget, which says you can load up to 39.5g! From the research and testing I have done, I'd be inclined to say you should not exceed 37.5 or 38g. 39.5g seems very high TBH....seeing that just sparked a bit of concern as according to Hogdon, 39.5g loads are the max for much lighter bullets, in the low 70 category..

then again, just highlights how carefully you must tread when testing loads.

I use 45 g varget over 150 sierra prohunter sako 85 20" barrel. Sub inch with my very impatient finger.

Atb Steve

46gr or varget behind a 150gr SST and lapua brass and Fed210 primers give me a one hole group in my 20" Tikka varmint at a touch over 2800fps. Awesome load. Hodgdon list a starting charge of 44-47c for varget and a 150bt head. I went up to 47 but it was ragging the paper so went back to 46gr. 45gr of varget was nearly as good so went with 46 for extra bit of speed.
Hope that helps.

Hello can anyone help me out. Waiting on my reloading program and my mates not got back to me yet with an answer from Quickload.
Looking for a starting load for 308 win, 24" barrel, 150gr SST's #30302, with Varget powder.
Its going to rain all day so I want to make use of my time.

Cheers Andy

Counting down to the start of the Fallow season... Not long now

Truly? No reloading manual? No internet access to Hodgdon.com for loading data? :confused:

No load you glean from the most generous and helpful members of this Forum will preclude you working up a load from the bottom. It can seldom be avoided and is a really educational experience one shouldn't deny oneself. JMHO~Muir

Muir
Noted and suitably chastised. I was only after some advise on a starting load as i've just started reloading again (having sold all my stuff 8 odd years ago when i could afford factory ammo). Lots of stuff to buy including a reloading manual which is on order.
Made up a small batch of 43gr loads yesturday and will see how I get on.

Win Mod 70

Well
Ended up with a batch of 43 gr and a batch of 44gr. The 44's have it. seem to go well out of my rifle. Will make sure that everything else is spot on such as case length, seating depth etc before I start messing about and do any fine tuning.
Thanks to those that replied to the thread.............

Win Mod 70

Back