Can anyone tell me the best place to do my DSC1 Please

reddeer93

Hello,
Im looking to do my DSC1 in the UK, and i don't know who to turn to about it.

Please can somebody give me advice on which company to go to?

Many thanks

Depends where abouts you are in the uk there's some guys with good reports on here.i did mine at barony and could recommend it any more very helpful and great course.

Last edited:
Im from the South of the UK, Ive just seen some posts about the Jelen Deer, does anyone know what that company is about? also I've seen the british deer society, what are they like?

Many thanks

Im from the South of the UK, Ive just seen some posts about the Jelen Deer, does anyone know what that company is about? also I've seen the british deer society, what are they like?

Many thanks

Be interesting to hear what mixed views you've heard of Jelen training - I'd say it was hard to beat - and their pass rate speaks for itself. The training materials and delivery are excellent. I speak from personal experience and that of several friends and acquaintances that have used them.

I'd suggest that the noise in the thread around stalking is just that. The company is focussed on deer management and their training team are well versed in helping you achieve the qualification. As they offer a money back guarantee, why not talk to them? It will certainly allay (or justify) your fears as much as any comment on here.

Last edited:
Oh right, I've had a look on their website, they sound like they know what their talking about. i certainly will be giving them a call.

Many thanks to your reply
much appreciated

I did mine with the British Deer Society at Wadhurst Park, and can thoroughly recommend them.

They have recently dropped the price too, I think you find they are very competitive.

They also run the course over four days, which means you will need to take some holiday. When their course dates are announced they sell out rapidly, as the training is highly regarded.

Their manual and DVD are very well done. The manual is not just for DSC1, it is also a good resource for further study.

They are a charity for deer welfare, well deserving of support, not a for-profit private company, if that matters to you.

Some others offer a shorter course, but I don't see how it can be done as thoroughly, and I think the longer courses work out as better value for money.

Find out the ratio of students to instructors i.e. class size.

Some package up the multiple choice question bank together with answers into an electronic game, so you can memorise the answers. Personally I don't see this as a useful way of actually learning the basics.

If you want to see what the exam entails, all the (up to date) questions are freely available at DMQ Setting the standard for wild deer management No need to pay.

Get hold of a BDS manual, or sign up for the course and its included. You will find that the answer to every question is in the manual. In working out the answers you will already have learned a lot, and be better prepared for the course, which would be rather intense if approached without preparation.

If you aren't already experienced then the deer recognition photo test, and the shooting test are aspects where there can be no substitute for study and practice, memory skills won't help.

DSC1 is a proper examination with pass fail criteria, not an attendance course, and on my course a few did not pass first time. You could argue that a provider who claimed 100% pass rates must be better, or you might wonder whether there might be a tendency for teaching to pass the test rather than teaching to instill knowledge.

If you do fail part of the exam you can re-sit it with any provider, you don't have to return to the original one. The BDS make time on the final day to get new exam papers and offer resits whilst others are waiting for the shooting test. Check whether your provider can do this.

If you will be using the estate rifle for the shooting test, find out what the cost will be.

Good luck.

Last edited:
If you do fail part of the exam you can re-sit it with any provider, you don't have to return to the original one. The BDS make time on the final day to get new exam papers and offer resits whilst others are waiting for the shooting test. Check whether your provider can do this.

Interesting statement, given the statement from Peter at BASC on this subject in another thread - Anyone had results yet from 23rd March Jelen DSC1 Course? - Page 2, only today?

Interesting statement, given the statement from Peter at BASC on this subject in another thread - Anyone had results yet from 23rd March Jelen DSC1 Course? - Page 2, only today?

They CAN tell you when you have definitely failed, and why, and offer you a retest of that module (they have to apply to DMQ for a new exam paper and print it out, so it requires organisation to do it on the day). Saves a lot of time, disruption and cost to take them up on the offer.

It was always made clear that the final result was subject to confirmation.

With the calibre of instruction and invigilation on our course I don't think any of us were too concerned about this.

On our course anyone who was interested, even if they had passed well, was also told which questions they had got wrong, and reminded of the correct answer.

With all exams there will be a DMQ representative present, to make sure things are done properly, so from the point of view of the examinations it is a level playing field for all providers.

I moved this from the introduction forum as it is not an introduction, which means you need to do an intro,

John

Be interesting to hear what mixed views you've heard of Jelen training - I'd say it was hard to beat - and their pass rate speaks for itself. The training materials and delivery are excellent. I speak from personal experience and that of several friends and acquaintances that have used them.

I'd suggest that the noise in the thread around stalking is just that. The company is focussed on deer management and their training team are well versed in helping you achieve the qualification. As they offer a money back guarantee, why not talk to them? It will certainly allay (or justify) your fears as much as any comment on here.

Eric the Red - when you say 'their pass rate speaks for itself' do you mean 'our pass rate speaks for itself' ;) ? Last time I saw a Jelen email, I think you were listed as training manager? Apologies if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I did my DSC 1 with Jelen - it was pretty well run and some of the support I received prior to and during the course was useful. Having said that, if I did it again, I'd probably do it over a longer time period a la the BDS model but that's more to do with me and my style of learning.

I to took my DSC1 course with Jelen at Stockbridge, i found the course very well run, and the staff all very helpfull. The course suited me fine, being only as long weekend, although it was long days, and intense. The end result was what Jelen hope to achieve with all there trainees, exactly what they say on the tin. I had my Pass Certificate drop though the door thismorning.

David Stretton at donington deer management, great set up and family run business,cant recommend his services high enough both for the course itself and the excellent products for the butchering side of things, plus the home cooking is like ya mum makes!:tiphat:

I did mine with the British Deer Society at Wadhurst Park, and can thoroughly recommend them.

They have recently dropped the price too, I think you find they are very competitive.

They also run the course over four days, which means you will need to take some holiday. When their course dates are announced they sell out rapidly, as the training is highly regarded.

Their manual and DVD are very well done. The manual is not just for DSC1, it is also a good resource for further study.

They are a charity for deer welfare, well deserving of support, not a for-profit private company, if that matters to you.

Some others offer a shorter course, but I don't see how it can be done as thoroughly, and I think the longer courses work out as better value for money.

Find out the ratio of students to instructors i.e. class size.

Some package up the multiple choice question bank together with answers into an electronic game, so you can memorise the answers. Personally I don't see this as a useful way of actually learning the basics.

If you want to see what the exam entails, all the (up to date) questions are freely available at DMQ Setting the standard for wild deer management No need to pay.

Get hold of a BDS manual, or sign up for the course and its included. You will find that the answer to every question is in the manual. In working out the answers you will already have learned a lot, and be better prepared for the course, which would be rather intense if approached without preparation.

If you aren't already experienced then the deer recognition photo test, and the shooting test are aspects where there can be no substitute for study and practice, memory skills won't help.

DSC1 is a proper examination with pass fail criteria, not an attendance course, and on my course a few did not pass first time. You could argue that a provider who claimed 100% pass rates must be better, or you might wonder whether there might be a tendency for teaching to pass the test rather than teaching to instill knowledge.

If you will be using the estate rifle for the shooting test, find out what the cost will be.

Good luck.

Dear Reddeer,

There are many DSCL1 courses up and down the country, some providers are better than others. We (Jelen) like to think we're somewhere near the top, along with the likes of BASC, Barony, Donington deer, PJP Wildlife and several other independent training providers.

So what makes us successful where others are less so? .................

Is it value for money? We certainly didn't have to drop our prices to attract our customers and as far as I am aware neither have the other providers I've mentioned- but our courses are almost always over-subscribed!!

Is it because we have over 32 years of professional experience in the business? - So we know what we're talking about!!

Is it because we have invested a huge amount of time, effort and resources in ensuring we deliver a training package that people want - and trust?

Is it because we market our training in a professional manner? - We certainly NEVER try so sell our training courses by 'bad-mouthing' other providers. That would be seen as un-professional, plus we don't need to resort to such underhand 'sales methods'

Is it because we provide the customer with ultimate support prior to, during, and after the training? - It certainly seems to be a winner!

Is it because we give a 100% money back guarantee?

Or perhaps it's the fact that we don't make sarcastic or patronising comments to our customers during their training that they have paid good money (or even a bit less good money for!)

...... Or perhaps it's just that we're good at what we do - with a track record to prove it!

Who knows???????

Regards,

Mike
(Director - Jelen Deer Services) Home | Jelen Deer Services

I to took my DSC1 course with Jelen at Stockbridge, i found the course very well run, and the staff all very helpfull. The course suited me fine, being only as long weekend, although it was long days, and intense. The end result was what Jelen hope to achieve with all there trainees, exactly what they say on the tin. I had my Pass Certificate drop though the door this morning.

The story is exactly the same with me. I enjoyed myself. I worried a little too much, probably because of the money involved - but that will be anywhere.

There very at least four instructors in the room at once helping, many more on the range.

My certificate came yesterday with my little chufty badge.

I am also looking forward to my free stalk because I booked early enough with Mike.

Whatever the comments are about stalking with Jelen, I can't remember reading of any criticism of their teaching or courses. Which, as full time teacher of ten years I found to be well delivered, well pitched and very appropriate for the students in the room.

find your local provider and give them a call. As soon as you've talked with them and they fill you in on what's involved you'll be sorted and get booked in to do your course. Good luck in any case!

Back