Wash in Permethrin to keep bugs away

Heym SR20

Following on from previous threads does any body have any good recomendations to an available wash in insect repellant to kepp bugs and particularly ticks away. Yes Rovince clothing is available, but too expensive for dealing the whole family. Products seem to be widely available in the US, but only Life Systems in the UK and tahts for treating Mossy nets.

Lifesystems used to produce a Permethrin based treatment for mosi nets etc.. I couldn't say whether they still do but I hope so because I need to re-treat some clothing items. Time for some websuerfing, methinks.

HTH

Yes for ticks you want to start killing them as soon as they climb onto
your clothing. Permethrin is deadly to ticks but reasonably safe for humans
and mammals ( but not cats).
Commercial items , like Rovince or mosilife (and
B.D.U.s) are treated in the factory with a secret formulation
which binds the permethrin to the material permanently.

Treating your outer clothing , especially trousers, with 0.5% permethrin
is a good way to combat ticks getting up your trousers and into your pants.:oops:
Spray outdoors- until wet - then allow to air dry
It wont last as long as the branded clothing but you can treat your
own clothes and sit in the heather a little more safely.

Deet is a deterent for your skin and will dissolve some materials

Do you know any forestry contractors? Chances are that they may have permetrin based products used for treating saplings, to prevent weevils attacking them. Get some of the concentrate and dilute to same solution as the contractor would, then spray over outdoor clothing and allow to dry. Works a treat and is very cheap.

DEET is not sufficiently effective against ticks to be reliable. Permethrin is what I trust to do the job reliably.
I worked for some time in outdoor education and occasionally worked with a young lady who had an intolerance of Permethrin. She used a DEET -based product against mossies, etc. and was confident that that was effective against ticks as well, until she had one latch on behind her knee. It must have been there for some time before she found and removed it. I heard some time later that, sadly, the bite resulted in infection and the eventual amputation of her leg below the knee. Since then I have always treated my trousers and socks with Permethrin and have never had any problems.
As has already been said, Permethrin can have a reaction with some man-made materials, so test first before treatment in the way already described.

Sawyer 0.5% permethrin is sold on Amazon UK - cheapest deal I've found here in the UK. Bought some today & got a mozzie head net too to bring the price over the £20 threshold to get free delivery.:D

Ian

Yes for ticks you want to start killing them as soon as they climb onto
your clothing. Permethrin is deadly to ticks but reasonably safe for humans
and mammals ( but not cats).
Commercial items , like Rovince or mosilife (and
B.D.U.s) are treated in the factory with a secret formulation
which binds the permethrin to the material permanently.

Treating your outer clothing , especially trousers, with 0.5% permethrin
is a good way to combat ticks getting up your trousers and into your pants.:oops:
Spray outdoors- until wet - then allow to air dry
It wont last as long as the branded clothing but you can treat your
own clothes and sit in the heather a little more safely.

Deet is a deterent for your skin and will dissolve some materials

Whats the problem with cats?

I have been spraying houses with Permetherin for 25years and never heard of a cat related issue?

It has a mammalian toxisity LD50 of 4500. To put that in perspective red wine is around 2500 and Arsnic is about 80

It is however an EXTREEM marine polutent so keep well away from waterways and stay especialy clear of ponds a 1ltr concentrate will kill every fish in a pond the size of an Olympic sized swimming pool

Whats the problem with cats?

I have been spraying houses with Permetherin for 25years and never heard of a cat related issue?

It has a mammalian toxisity LD50 of 4500. To put that in perspective red wine is around 2500 and Arsnic is about 80

It is however an EXTREEM marine polutent so keep well away from waterways and stay especialy clear of ponds a 1ltr concentrate will kill every fish in a pond the size of an Olympic sized swimming pool

when the chemical is applied and is wet, insecticide irrespective of branding or make up is at its critical point whereupon it will cause severe symptoms and or kill anything that ingests it, including humans, LD with ratio to weight cuts in but even a small amount can or could case irreversible damage to health.

Read the label, it's on each chemical packaging and lawful via the eu directive HSE/ MAFF

cats are renowned for getting into areas they shouldn't be in, walk on the wet materials, have a clean up ingest bingo one very ill or deceased puss or any other mammal

read the label prior to use, use a Natural chemicals that bio degrades in sunlight on a time scale equaling mix strength and doesn't have a high residual value.

applying chemicals to clothing is not something I would recommend as you don't want it to soak it up through your skin, gaiters possibly at a push, but then you've got to put them on ??? but that's it generally

for me - be vigilant and check check check that's the best way and its green

keep yourself safe and be wary of chemicals as they have a nasty hidden bite if you get it wrong

atb

phil

i use the lifsystems spray on clothing specific treatment after my shocker tick fest in Mull a few years back
works well

Hi

Given the risks from some anti-tick potions perhaps it is worth considering spraying Virbac Indorex on clothing - this is used for bugs and like including associated with pets around the house so should be good and perhaps safer all round......

L

Indorex could be used, it contains permethrin again with piperony butoxide and pyrioxifen.
but it is designed for carpets bedding etc , now do you want it next to your skin?
There is quite a few proprietory treated clothing such as Rovince , Craghoppers nosilife. and army surplus
These have a calculated amount of active ingredient which is bonded to the material used to make the clothing

Whilst I`m happy to treat my OUTER Clothing DIY I`m not sure about my vest and pants next to my skin ?

whats worse Lyme disease or poisoning by insecticide?????
I guess the best advice is to follow the instructions on the label.

Rovince clothing ( no commission paid) is expensive but lasts for years and I think it looks pretty smart for places where
army surplus is frowned apon , otherwise BDU trousers are the great
alternative.

(Im going to try some treated underpants to keep the blighters from latching on in that area)

tuck your trousers into your bug treated socks as well
and shower and check check check after getting back to the lodge.

The approved aerosol for spraying in aircraft contains permethrin. Countries such as Australia etc require that the aircraft is sprayed throughout the cabin before landing. ALL airlines do this and the Border people require to see the empty cans upon arrival.

This to me suggests that
1. PERMETHRIN in the correct quantities is relatively safe. I cant remember the exact amounts but the aerosols contained more than the lifesystems spray.
2. It has been proven to kill bugs. Ticks included.

I use Rovince trousers shirt and socks.
I also use Seeland trousers etc sprayed with the Lifesystems spray and even though some of the Deer I have shot have been covered in ticks, I have never had one on me.

For me the Lyme disease is the worst case scenario so I will continue as I have in the past.

when the chemical is applied and is wet, insecticide irrespective of branding or make up is at its critical point whereupon it will cause severe symptoms and or kill anything that ingests it, including humans, LD with ratio to weight cuts in but even a small amount can or could case irreversible damage to health.

Read the label, it's on each chemical packaging and lawful via the eu directive HSE/ MAFF

cats are renowned for getting into areas they shouldn't be in, walk on the wet materials, have a clean up ingest bingo one very ill or deceased puss or any other mammal

read the label prior to use, use a Natural chemicals that bio degrades in sunlight on a time scale equaling mix strength and doesn't have a high residual value.

applying chemicals to clothing is not something I would recommend as you don't want it to soak it up through your skin, gaiters possibly at a push, but then you've got to put them on ??? but that's it generally

for me - be vigilant and check check check that's the best way and its green

keep yourself safe and be wary of chemicals as they have a nasty hidden bite if you get it wrong

atb

phil

Phill

LD50 4500 for Permetherin means a 2Kg cat would need to injest 9000g or 9KG of permetherin????

For insecticide treatment we use a dilute solution of 2% permethrin in water so a 25Ltr drum of insecticide contains 0.5 ltrs of permethering with a specific gravity of 1

SO a 2KG cat would have to drink / absorb through its skin 450ltrs of insecticide dilute in order to kill it by poisen

To spray a four bedroom house for wood worm we would use 125 ltrs

So the cat would somehow have to lick the product off every timber surface in aproxamatly 3 X four bedroom houses

There are products witrh a lower memalian toxisity than Permetherin. They are products like Borax and Flurox

Only problem is they are not knock down killers they are growth inhibiters / interuptors so totaly useless for mosqueto net type application.

Borax (Boron) has a LD50 of 15,000 but only stops egs from hatching.

Flurox prevents the insect produceing an exoscelitan by distroying its abuility to produce chitlin. A very slow and nasty way to die which only works on hatchlings

ATB

Mark C.T.I.S.

Permethrin is not an insect repellant; it is an insecticide. It comes in various formulations to permit it to adhere to plants, or animal fur, or to textiles. It does not was out with detergent until more than a dozen wash cycles, so a single application is good for 2 to 6 weeks. Permethrin is non-toxic to skin, but is deactivated by perspiration in about 20 minutes.

For repelling insects, you need to use 33% DEET on the clothing openings and skin.

Back