Variation is becoming a joke

Broadside

I have owned a .243 on an open licence for 16 years. I applied 8 weeks ago for a 1 for 1 variation to change to a 6.5 x 55. after speaking to my local FLO he said to send a letter in with my firearms licence and this should be enough. This morning i recieved a letter from hampshire police requesting a full application and land form to be filled out before they proccess my licence, is this right for a 1 for 1 variation and should i have to start from scratch again.

As you can imagine i am hacked off, my new rifle has been with my RFD for the last 5 weeks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Unless your file is so large they don't want to keep more paperwork then they tell just send a letter in.................... Just as Lincolnshire have done and Surrey before them.... :lol: they make the rules as they go along to suit their whims of the moment.

Im From Derbyshire rung my flo and asked if i could get a 6.5X55 as well as my .243 so i could have 1 moderated for local and 1 without for Scotland not any problems having to send new land permission in.

Jason

I may be wrong on this but my understanding of a 1 for 1 is exchanging a .243 for a .243 or a 30 cal for a 30 cal. What you have asked for is not a 1 for 1 .243 is 6mm and obviously a 6.5x55 is a 6.5mm so therefore you require a variation because you are changing calibers. I have recently been through the ******** that is 1 for 1 with Hampshire Police and sent in a letter with my license (no need to form fill) and after a wait of 7 weeks (and 21 phone calls from me) My license was returned with the requested 1 for 1s

Sticks

I may be wrong on this but my understanding of a 1 for 1 is exchanging a .243 for a .243 or a 30 cal for a 30 cal. What you have asked for is not a 1 for 1 .243 is 6mm and obviously a 6.5x55 is a 6.5mm so therefore you require a variation because you are changing calibers. I have recently been through the ******** that is 1 for 1 with Hampshire Police and sent in a letter with my license (no need to form fill) and after a wait of 7 weeks (and 21 phone calls from me) My license was returned with the requested 1 for 1s

Sticks

You are wrong.
I gave my 8X68S Weatherby Mk.5 to my Swedish moose hunting pal via a dealer and got a free one-for-one for a .222 from a gentleman on this site.
It is one firearm off ticket and another on in its place but forms had to be filled in.
It took about 10 days for completion.
As the number of items had not been increased there was no charge.

HWH.

I'm sorry to have to correct anyone on this, but as far as the plod are concerned there are two situations:-

A) One-for-One.
You dispose of one rifle, and want to acquire another one of exactly the same calibe (same cartridge) e.g a .243 for another .243.
You already have the authority for this calibre so there's no faffing about. The FLD action your notification of sale, wipe the old rifle details from your record, and print you a nice new shiny Certificate with an authority to buy One Rifle. All done in the office without involving the FEO at all.

B) One on - One off.

Different scenario. You dispose of one rifle, and want to acquire one of a different calibre (different cartridge) e.g a 6.5x55 instead of another .243.
You have to get authority for this. You have to show good reason for the calibre change, show your ground is safe for this 'bigger' calibre, and prove the landowner is happy to have you wandering about banging away on his patch with this new artillery.
Anyone who says these two scenarios are the same is deluding themselves. The plod can make you go through the whole justification process afresh, and make a site visit and a home visit just as if it was an entirely new application. Some don't bother in the case of people they know well, like Stag1933 :D:D but no-one else can presume that they'll get this treatment.

I'm sorry to have to correct anyone on this, but as far as the plod are concerned there are two situations:-

A) One-for-One.
You dispose of one rifle, and want to acquire another one of exactly the same calibre (same cartridge) e.g a .243 for another .243.
You already have the authority for this calibre so there's no faffing about. The FLD action your notification of sale, wipe the old rifle details from your record, and print you a nice new shiny Certificate with an authority to buy One Rifle. All done in the office without involving the FEO at all.

B) One on - One off.

Different scenario. You dispose of one rifle, and want to acquire one of a different calibre (different cartridge) e.g a 6.5x55 instead of another .243.
You have to get authority for this. You have to show good reason for the calibre change, show your ground is safe for this 'bigger' calibre, and prove the landowner is happy to have you wandering about banging away on his patch with this new artillery.
Anyone who says these two scenarios are the same is deluding themselves. The plod can make you go through the whole justification process afresh, and make a site visit and a home visit just as if it was an entirely new application. Some don't bother in the case of people they know well, like Stag1933 :D:D but no-one else can presume that they'll get this treatment.

Never have experienced this, the 222 that I sold to Staggie was replaced with 7X57 and I once replaced two moderators with a 22 lr and a 243. I always understood the variation to be one firearm for another firearm not a like for like situation, one specific firearm for the same calibre in another rifle, just the firearms department being overly pedantic IMHO.

John

I have owned a .243 on an open licence for 16 years. I applied 8 weeks ago for a 1 for 1 variation to change to a 6.5 x 55. after speaking to my local FLO he said to send a letter in with my firearms licence and this should be enough. This morning i recieved a letter from hampshire police requesting a full application and land form to be filled out before they proccess my licence, is this right for a 1 for 1 variation and should i have to start from scratch again.

As you can imagine i am hacked off, my new rifle has been with my RFD for the last 5 weeks.

Any help would be appreciated.

You are not doing an application, you are doing a variation and it is a straightforward one-for-one for which no charge should apply. Your FEO was wrong (or you misunderstood) when he said this could be done by letter. The form 101 is very clear and I think that it was asking alot to expect that you could avoid using it. I'm afraid that this is just another example of why all Police/Firearms admin queries should be done by letter, fax or email. If you had followed the correct procedure, there should have been no reason for this not to have been processed within a week or two. JC

You have it in a nutshell there JAYB, but you've had good luck.

I was taught all these nuances in nitpicking detail by my FEO who knew the Firearms Rules back to front. He'd suffered forty lashes from a b**t**d of an FLD manager in his early days when he tried to use common sense, and treat folk with vagrant impulses like 'Sticks' has as adults. That meant short-circuiting the established procedure, and he was firmly put in his place. The scars healed, but the lesson was never forgotten and was duly passed down the line.

I understand it now, and it isn't pedantry. There is a critical distinction in law between an identical "1-for-1" and a replacement with something different. In the first situation you have an implied continuing authority to have that calibre, but in the second case the FLD have to apply all the tests of good reason & public safety before approving a Variation.

That needs a formal application on Form 101 which can't be rubberstamped. It's their ass not yours on the line if they skip the checks required. They can decide the criteria to satisfy these, and impose extra Conditions on the varied FAC too.

Never have experienced this, the 222 that I sold to Staggie was replaced with 7X57 and I once replaced two moderators with a 22 lr and a 243. I always understood the variation to be one firearm for another firearm not a like for like situation, one specific firearm for the same calibre in another rifle, just the firearms department being overly pedantic IMHO.

John

Correct JAYB !
The moderator on your .222 was exchanged for a slot caused by the sale of my .22 rimfire. I did the swops at the same time so in effect I got a two-for-two at no cost to me.

HWH.

Back