Catton Rifleshoot on 10th May

willie_gunn

Just a quick note of thanks to Carl and everyone at Catton Riflesport for the brilliant day yesterday.

Great to meet up with good friends, and a lot of fun was had by all.

The simulated woodland stalk was excellent, but I swear it wasn't my .308 that did the damage:

IMG_0576_zpsbd2688e0.jpg

willie_gunn

A very popular day out now, had a good time as always.

Maybe we should have a meet up over an excellent cuppa at the August one?

It's not the first tree to have been culled, ask Carl.

What did you think of the FAC shottie? Awesome!

My right ear is still aching from a flaming 308 with muzzle brake on the zeroing benches, despite using muffs.

What did you think of the FAC shottie? Awesome!

Personally I thought it was completely OTT. Having a drum magazine on a shotgun that puts rounds on a target that allegedly cost something like 65p each is a sure-fire way to penury! It should come with a counter for automatically adding the cost each time you pull the trigger :eek:

All in all there was a pretty amazing variety of kit on display yesterday, not a lot of which I would have necessarily wanted to carry round stalking with me all day, however. :stir:

Hitting the blue fox target three times in succession with my bog standard .308 was very satisfying, however best not to count the number of shots it took to hit the swinging onion :oops:

willie_gunn

P.S. Both the food and the beverages would be well worth a repeat visit
icon_mrgreen.gif

Last edited:
Shame about the high winds but still it was a super day to try all the toys

Superb day out
UK Guy

I think it was those seven quiet, discreet guys from the North-Cotswolds DMG!
Not only did they have an amazing lunch (Thanks Mark for the Venison & Apricot pasties!) they also shot all the swinging onions, using an classic Tika .223 in the strong crosswinds. Thanks Manfred for letting us use your rifle!

Willie, Not thinking about the ownership or use, just the firepower and technology?

I agree entirely about some of the kit, not for me either! especially anything not related to stalking, muzzle brakes and rapid fire jobs?

The foxes are always a bit of fun in the breeze, the onions easy too :stir: even with a .308.

Food and drink always excellent quality.

Usually a bit breezy in the valley for some reason even if calm just up the road.

Erik and the NCDMG :rofl: thanks for leaving us mere mortals a few onions, we don't usually don't need to shoot those, just buy them from Aldi. You are now known as the Catton Onion Management Group! :scared::scared:
:coat:

Personally I thought it was completely OTT. Having a drum magazine on a shotgun that puts rounds on a target that allegedly cost something like 65p each is a sure-fire way to penury! It should come with a counter for automatically adding the cost each time you pull the trigger :eek:

All in all there was a pretty amazing variety of kit on display yesterday, not a lot of which I would have necessarily wanted to carry round stalking with me all day, however. :stir:

Hitting the blue fox target three times in succession with my bog standard .308 was very satisfying, however best not to count the number of shots it took to hit the swinging onion :oops:

willie_gunn

P.S. Both the food and the beverages would be well worth a repeat visit :D

Yep another good day out. Apart from the strong cross winds.

Woodland stalk was fun as always. My lad came in handy sticking the brown patches over the holes in the targets.

WG I don't think it was your .308 by the number of .223 bullets we found in the trunk. Or there is a small population of beavers Carl isn't telling anybody about ;)

Jon

Erik and the NCDMG :rofl: thanks for leaving us mere mortals a few onions, we don't usually don't need to shoot those, just buy them from Aldi. You are now known as the Catton Onion Management Group! :scared::scared:
:coat:

Yes, so we found out in the car, on the way back home.

Glad you & Jono had a good time Dom, my charity clay shoot went off without a hitch apart from Rich pulling out of my team at the 11th hour!!!

Managed to get a replacement at 10.30pm the evening before though.

Sorry I couldn't come to Catton as I really enjoyed the last trip.

Cheers
Chris

Sorry I couldn't come to Catton as I really enjoyed the last trip.
Chris

No famous photo for you this year! What Dom may not have mentioned is that we first caught sight of him jumping up and down on his Blaaaser bolt as he had inadvertently fired one of those Brazilian rounds and it wouldn't extract. Some people never learn! :D

Back