Double Rifle thread - Follow-up

Ade8mm

No not that kind of follow-up!

Reivers excellent OP had 3963 views but 58 replies. Clearly a massive interest in the thread,

Does that indicate a lot of people wonder what these old boys are getting excited about or is there a serious interest in these rifles?

Was wondering.

I'm interested myself. I don't own one and not sure I ever will (finances being a consideration), but a part of me would like to have one....

Not really sure how a double rifle stacks up for the hunting style the vast majority of posters seem to post here.

It seems every time there is a double rifle post there is connotations of hunting DG in Africa or some driven boar hunt at 40 yards on the continent. My double get used out to 250 metres stalking no problems. The second barrel is only for follow up which generally is a non issue with the 9.3. Having said that I've taken out multi-running targets with it as well.

Not really sure how a double rifle stacks up for the hunting style the vast majority of posters seem to post here.

It seems every time there is a double rifle post there is connotations of hunting DG in Africa or some driven boar hunt at 40 yards on the continent. My double get used out to 250 metres stalking no problems. The second barrel is only for follow up which generally is a non issue with the 9.3. Having said that I've taken out multi-running targets with it as well.

I've looked at and handled the blaser double rifle. I'm sure its a very accurate rifle but, I think its one ugly lump of a thing.

o/u handles better in my opinion and certainly from a combination barrel set is much handier.

My first .375 was a SxS by H&H, which I lucked up on at an estate auction during a blizzard, with almost no one there, and bought it for a fraction of its value. The infected me. I later bought a combination gun in 16/8x57JRS and now a very light little 1920s 20/7x57R.

Would love a double in .444 Marlin, .30-30, or .303 Enfield, which I could use for much stalking. But a .450/400 would be a fun toy. I know a fellow who collects and trades SxS rifles by WR, H&H, and Purdey, so get to handle some extraordinary old pieces.

Doubles can be lots of fun, but extremely trying if you dont have that magical recipe to get the barrels to regulate.
I recently had a successful trip for black bear in northern Alberta, where I used a blackpowder hammer-gun in 577/500no.2. It took me a year and a bit to piece together all the components and find a good load that regulates well, even at the standard fifty yards. In the last week before my trip, I finally developed a decent duplex load using paper-patched cast bullets. It's a great feeling when it all comes together to produce a successful hunt!
Being a slow-learner:lol: , I jumped right back into the fray, and picked up another double, this time in a 9.3x74 o/u. All the loads I had developed for my sxs in the same caliber wouldnt shoot a 4" group at fifty yards, and I find myself back to school to find another workable load.

Doubles can be lots of fun, but extremely trying if you dont have that magical recipe to get the barrels to regulate.
I recently had a successful trip for black bear in northern Alberta, where I used a blackpowder hammer-gun in 577/500no.2. It took me a year and a bit to piece together all the components and find a good load that regulates well, even at the standard fifty yards. In the last week before my trip, I finally developed a decent duplex load using paper-patched cast bullets. It's a great feeling when it all comes together to produce a successful hunt!
Being a slow-learner:lol: , I jumped right back into the fray, and picked up another double, this time in a 9.3x74 o/u. All the loads I had developed for my sxs in the same caliber wouldnt shoot a 4" group at fifty yards, and I find myself back to school to find another workable load.

Interesting stories.

How about posting a picture ? (in Reivers thread)

Ade

Money is the issue for me. I'd love one but I can't afford one as well as a bolt action rifle and due to where I shoot a mod is usually required (especially if I'm practicing on targets etc) but given the funds I'd have one for nice walks with the dog or if I ever had a chance at anything driven.

It depends what you are going to use the double for. In my case its for everything so I suggest a good load then "modern" double that you can regulate yourself means you can be hunting after a couple of hours at the range. However I have played with fixed doubles such as the fabarm asper and were getting groups of 2" at 50 yards no matter what. I told the owner, who cares, just get the bottom barrel shooting 2" high at 100 yards. The second shot is not meant to be a precision shot at 200 yards on this. But if required it will still hit the vital area under 100 yards if a quick follow shot is required. Even 4" at 50 yards wouldn't bother me as long as the first shot is on target.

It depends what you are going to use the double for. In my case its for everything so I suggest a good load then "modern" double that you can regulate yourself means you can be hunting after a couple of hours at the range. However I have played with fixed doubles such as the fabarm asper and were getting groups of 2" at 50 yards no matter what. I told the owner, who cares, just get the bottom barrel shooting 2" high at 100 yards. The second shot is not meant to be a precision shot at 200 yards on this. But if required it will still hit the vital area under 100 yards if a quick follow shot is required. Even 4" at 50 yards wouldn't bother me as long as the first shot is on target.

I adopted a similar sort of approach with my Unifrance Solitaire O/U (single selective trigger) only I chose to zero the scope to the top barrel rather than the bottom barrel. I'm quite happy to take shots from the top barrel at reasonable stalking distances but limit the range with the lower barrel and would use it as a quick follow up shot if necessary.

If you zero on the bottom barrel you will apply less moment on the hinge, and if you shoot a lot then it will reduce the stress on the action.

I was aware of that mate but as the barrels are also locked mid point I would rather have the scope mounted as close as possible to the centreline of the barrel that I would be using.

The gun in question is a Fabarm, which unfortunately is a single trigger model as well. Shoots the top barrel first.
As for the picture request, I have never pursued the art of posting pictures, but would gladly send them out to an email address for someone "in the know" to post.

Back