Small Pistol Primers V Small rifle

courser

I load for a .22 Hornet. Is there any advantage in using CCI small Pistol primers? I have always used CCI small rifle primers, 12.4g Little gun and 35g V-max.

My mate has just purchased some small pistol primers to work on some loadings with his K hornet, shouldn't be too long before he gets some data.

pretty sure Muir uses them in a hornet
do a search if you can't wait for him to wake up and be online

My mate has just purchased some small pistol primers to work on some loadings with his K hornet, shouldn't be too long before he gets some data.

Its something I'm going to try too once I locate suitable pistol primers so do let us have your mate's feedback please.

Found 1000 CCI magnum pistol primers at the back of my safe the other day but can't see the point in trying these as they are aspiring to be small rifle?

K

I ran some extensive chrono tests using small rifle and small pistol primers in the Hornet with Lil Gun, H-110 and AA 1680. Smaller Extreme spread, standard deviation and better accuracy with Lil Gun and 1680 using small pistol primers. H-110 showed little change. ~Muir

is there not an issue that the thickness of the base of the primer (not its height but the thickness of the metal it is stamped from) is thinner on pistol primers? Such that with a badly shaped firing pin and high pressure that the primer base could blow through the area where the firing pin strikes it?

is there not an issue that the thickness of the base of the primer (not its height but the thickness of the metal it is stamped from) is thinner on pistol primers? Such that with a badly shaped firing pin and high pressure that the primer base could blow through the area where the firing pin strikes it?

Will let you know!

K

Well, a badly shaped firing pin + high pressures could puncture any primer. Typically, you are right: pistol primers aren't used in high pressure rifle cartridges but..... The Horent is not a high pressure cartridge. The pressures run the same (+/-) as a .357 magnum cartridge which uses small pistol primers.~Muir

Back