223ai FEEDING ISSUES

plonker

Afternoon all,after going through my first 100 rounds of new brass,now Fireformed the new loads will not cycle in my t3 lite.Having done a search this is obviously a common problem.Is there any other way around the issue other than buying a bottom metal and metal mags to fit?
Bit of an expence that at the moment I can't justify.
The rifle is my nv foxing rig and the only suggestion I can think of is a cheap 223 sled to single load until funds allow?
Anybody else know of modifications that can be done or is it save for bottom metal and magazine.
any advice appreciated.
cheers
dave*

I have posted before on my experiences with my 243 AI.

• Factory 243 ammo fed flawlessly.
  • Full length resized 243 AI ammo fed well.
  • Neck sized 243 AI rarely fed at all.

I only neck sized as I was waiting for the full length resizing die to be delivered. Once I could full length resize, I never neck sized again.

Regards

JCS

My shooting buddy has the same problem with his T3 Varmint, the straighter body of the 223 improved case does not present in the mag properly to be picked up effectively and then hangs up on the bolt head recess.
He single feeds itm and thats what i think you should do, as your NV foxing rifle is there really a need for more then one shot. i mean, miss a fox and you aint going to get a quick second shot.

Ian.

My shooting buddy has the same problem with his T3 Varmint, the straighter body of the 223 improved case does not present in the mag properly to be picked up effectively and then hangs up on the bolt head recess.
He single feeds itm and thats what i think you should do, as your NV foxing rifle is there really a need for more then one shot. i mean, miss a fox and you aint going to get a quick second shot.

Ian.

It's surprising the amount of times you shoot one of a pair and get a shot at the second this time of year if your quick enough.Think I will single feed for the time being but still looking for options.
Thanks jc but all the rounds are fl sized think it's a known problem with ackley and the t3 lite.
Cheers
dave

Morning all, just an update on my t3 ackley feeding issues.
The route that most have taken is to get a bottom metal and metal magazine to do some fettling to get ackley rounds to feed properly,this was a route I didn't fancy with a plastic stock and a cost close to £250.
I phoned dave at the shooting shed for a chat and promptly sent my magazine over for him to see what he could do.He informed me that this procedure wasn't without risks as the polymer magazines arnt the easiest to work on.
Well it arrived Saturday morning and it now feeds my t3 223 ackley flawlessly :thumb:
To say I am pleased is an understatement, the company were great to deal with with emails and phone conversation,,he even sent out the magazine without payment to see if it worked properly.
So anyone with a t3 lite and a polymer magazine that needs work for longer loads or work on a funny caliber just send it to dave at "the shooting shed":D
all the best
dave

It's surprising the amount of times you shoot one of a pair and get a shot at the second this time of year if your quick enough.Think I will single feed for the time being but still looking for options.
Thanks jc but all the rounds are fl sized think it's a known problem with ackley and the t3 lite.
Cheers
dave

Shot four in the space of around ninety seconds all on the same field.

Morning all, just an update on my t3 ackley feeding issues.
The route that most have taken is to get a bottom metal and metal magazine to do some fettling to get ackley rounds to feed properly,this was a route I didn't fancy with a plastic stock and a cost close to £250.
I phoned dave at the shooting shed for a chat and promptly sent my magazine over for him to see what he could do.He informed me that this procedure wasn't without risks as the polymer magazines arnt the easiest to work on.
Well it arrived Saturday morning and it now feeds my t3 223 ackley flawlessly :thumb:
To say I am pleased is an understatement, the company were great to deal with with emails and phone conversation,,he even sent out the magazine without payment to see if it worked properly.
So anyone with a t3 lite and a polymer magazine that needs work for longer loads or work on a funny caliber just send it to dave at "the shooting shed":D
all the best
dave

Nice one Dave glad to hear you managed to get the the magazine sorted out thanks for the up date happy days atb Craig

A few years ago the 223AI was a hot item around here so I got a reamer and did one for myself on a 700. Never could get it to feed like a standard 223.
Did a couple more for other guys, a Model Seven and one on a Savage 10. I took the barrel off of mine and rechambered it to 22-250 on a different action.
The feeding issues combined with fireforming dictate that I'll never do another one for myself. I'd go 22-250.

Back