Variation for deer rifle advice please

willowbank

Hi chaps im in the process of filling out the variation form for a .270 and mod, I have permissions and also have been out a dozen times with full time stalkers, shot and gralloched both deer and boar.

The form is asking for reasons why I want the rifle. I have had an open ticket for CF for many years.

I have photos and letters from the stalkers and landowners but am concerned as to the actual wording of my application letter (my feo has in the past not been helpful when I broached the subject of a deer condition and will probably be obstructive).

I am due to take dsc1 end Oct but want to put the paperwork in asap.

Any help on the wording would be greatly appreciated as I want to get on lol.

Regards WB

You want the 270 rifle for pest management of deer and fox. Keep it simple. You should declare you're doing a DSCL1 as a way of showing you're committed, but it shouldn't be more than that.

Don't get too caught up in the why's and what'fors... as ETR said, keep it simple.

If you have permission to shoot over land with deer on it you have "good reason" and that is ALL you need.

Cite your "Good Reason" for acquiring the .270, for the lawful shooting of deer, secondary as destruction of both fox and other vermin. Good reason for sound mod. is primarily for Health & Safety.....that should be enough for the variation. If FEO is obstructive/difficult, make sure you do your homework and present a valid and balanced "argument" in your favour, all the more so if FEO intends to visit for a personal interview.

Firearms department at Basc love to hear about unnecessarily obstructive firearms clerks! You have said that you have an open certificate. Do you already have deer calibers? You may need to justify an additional rifle. This shouldn't be difficult but something to think about.

whilst i understand the reasoning for "good reason" for a rifle i have never had to give good reason to have a moderator. so provide water tight reason to have rifle and just ask for moderator as part of the package.

have faith in your permissions. if the land has been cleared for a centre fire then having permission to remove deer IS enough reason.

Hi thanks for the replies, I do not have deer calibers other than .223 for which I requested a year ago a condition for Muntjac and CWD, my FEO refused point blank saying that I would have to satisfy him that I had knowledge and experience of deer. Catch 22, so I consulted BASC who advised me to consider doing DSC1 to gain qualification that he could not argue against.

Initially I was against this but once I started studying the coursework could see the logic, just do not like being told what to do....

Couple of useful points already in replies thanks.

Also may be worth mentioning Boar also as you have already shot Boar. and the .270 is the min cal for Boar

Hi thanks for the replies, I do not have deer calibers other than .223 for which I requested a year ago a condition for Muntjac and CWD, my FEO refused point blank saying that I would have to satisfy him that I had knowledge and experience of deer. Catch 22, so I consulted BASC who advised me to consider doing DSC1 to gain qualification that he could not argue against.

Initially I was against this but once I started studying the coursework could see the logic, just do not like being told what to do....

Willowbank you really should have objected to the FEO's position on not conditioning your certificate for deer not withstanding BASC's advise. I agree training is very important however as you said they were putting you in a catch 22 and that is not reasonable !
the obvious reason for a 270 is the ability to cull other deer than muntjac and CWD. It should be as simple as that for good reason.

Willowbank you really should have objected to the FEO's position on not conditioning your certificate for deer not withstanding BASC's advise. I agree training is very important however as you said they were putting you in a catch 22 and that is not reasonable !
the obvious reason for a 270 is the ability to cull other deer than muntjac and CWD. It should be as simple as that for good reason.

Agreed but you could have gone further in that the FEO by wanting to be satisfied of knowledge of deer is overstepping his remit of safety and need. The police are not there to ensure animal welfare. Secondly BASC should have told him this instead of the usual fence sitting. By advocating the DSC1 to placate the FEO is advocating a move towards it being standard practice. They should know better. But hey, that's why I jumped ship in favour of an organisation that would actively work for me when I needed it to. DSC may or may not be a useful thing to have but it's not mandatory YET

I've got boar on my ticket for my 6.5x55 who/where does it say .270 is the min cal for boar?

Home Office guidance to police,BASC have also repeated this advise. I'm not sure if the boar will notice the 15thou difference between .270 and 6.5mm though.

Home Office guidance to police,BASC have also repeated this advise. I'm not sure if the boar will notice the 15thou difference between .270 and 6.5mm though.

Yep no legal calibre or season for Boar still right? I read that although there are guidelines, as they're still on the vermin/invasive species list they can be shot with any calibre provided the licence holder has permission to do so and the correct conditions on his/her licence...

My 7mm-08 is conditioned for boar, though I've heard a lot of people saying .30cal should be the minimum. Personally I think something along the lines of how the scottish word their deer legislation would be ideal... i.e. "150gn minimum bullet and travelling at a minimum of 1700fps" or something?

Yes I think the guidance could be better worded. Perhaps this is something that will be looked at when the guidance is reviewed in the near future.

It's the minimum recommended, but it's not the law ;)
I have just put in for a 308 with the Avon and Somerset force as they told me 270 min and Boar on my ticket, i have Boar on some of my permission so i had to do the Variation to stop any hassle and arguments of what is the law who is right and so on.

So am I now to believe that BASC are rolling over and agreeing that DSC 1 should be used as a need to gain a Deer calibre. If this is the case I will be looking for a change in my membership. I think that rolling over was a good description. Where will this stop?

I don't think it's a case of rolling over.... more like joining the bandwagon, it's what you might call a good money spinner :-|

So am I now to believe that BASC are rolling over and agreeing that DSC 1 should be used as a need to gain a Deer calibre

Negotiation often necessitates some sort of capitulation on either or both sides, and also shows willingness to co-operate. It doesn’t simply mean you are rolling over.
Personally I have no problem with the DSC1 being a requirement to secure deer on an FAC, and think it is a positive move forward.

Back