A long come a Buck....

Earlier I posted a picture of a very elusive Buck on a piece of ground tucked away on a small farm,
In that post I mentioned I was off to sit in one of my high seats on a farm I started back in the 2014 harvest.

The last time I went the farmer started up with a hedge flail quite close by!! To night no tractor!!20 minuets in the pigeons starting drifting across the trees with there crops bulging of rape from the field close by.
As you can see there is quite an amount of bracken which gave the Buck a superb cover, however he stepped past the cover enough to catch my eye, as I covered him with the scope the choice was not great as more cover was only a few steps away. Neck shot was my plan but it had to be know or loose him....

Very satisfying using my home built high seat and quite a nice head on him...30lb dressed.

001_zpshwb1as5o.jpg
002_zps99gi2k4f.jpg
003_zps8plkefuy.jpg
004_zps8glrqijk.jpg
005_zpsmc5z2yah.jpg

Tim.243

Well done. A very nice looking buck and looks to be in great condition. I can imagine he would have been pretty well camouflaged in that bracken!

A nice buck indeed. I too have a lot of bracken on one of my estates and as you say, it can be a pain spotting them.

Well done. A very nice looking buck and looks to be in great condition. I can imagine he would have been pretty well camouflaged in that bracken!

Thank you, all the ones I have shot there have been in nice nick.

A nice buck indeed. I too have a lot of bracken on one of my estates and as you say, it can be a pain spotting them.

Cheers, where they take a step and stop is very tricky, not a big fan of high seats as I much prefer to be mobile, however the farmer has cleared quite a bit in there.

I heard a buck calling in a block around 400 yards behind me, so it might be time to make another high seat!!

Tim.243

Nice one pal, I'm still after one, I went out a few times last year but the little ghosts always eluded me .all I ever saw was movement and a rear end before they disappeared into cover,

atb

kjf

Nice one pal, I'm still after one, I went out a few times last year but the little ghosts always eluded me .all I ever saw was movement and a rear end before they disappeared into cover,

atb

kjf

Thank you, Not sure how your ground is? This farm has 4 woods not best for stalking in except for a coupe of man made clearings.
I've had more success being mobile with the sticks, I find a centre spot where I can cover 2/3/4 fields then wait....
If I see some movement then I make a plan, whether to slip down a hedge until I can find a place to shoot from, scramble down and up a ditch....
Sometimes I have just stood still used the buttolo caller with the bucks getting all hot and bothered lol...

Tim.243

What's high seat made of?

I used left over steel from a design of shooting seat I made some time back, the one in the above picture is a part of a ally builders ladder. This picture I used a steel step ladder the type which opens up and just braced above and below the pivot.
2 ratchet straps as an extra bit of safety....
010_zps36ade6c1.jpg
008_zps2a421185.jpg

Tim.243

Well Tim.243

Looks a good sturdy platform to smack a few deer /foxes from. Will have to have ago at making one of them .

Well Tim.243

Looks a good sturdy platform to smack a few deer /foxes from. Will have to have ago at making one of them .

Thank you, the next one will be from the old type school/collage chairs as the seat because they are made very well and so designed to be used 100's of times.
One tip, if you look where the ladder meets the frame it can pivot because most high seats are a fixed angle and with that you are stuffed. This way the ladder angle can be tweaked and not affect the seat.

Contrary to most high seat manufactures belief most trees are not straight! I use a coupe of 4x2 blocks with a V notch to make up any difference in the angle.

It will always be the tree in the right place with the wrong angle to tip the seat forward, attention to detail was hammered in to me as an apprentice....

Tim.243

Back