Mmmmm what you think?

nuttyspaniel

Ive recently been inspired by the brock and norris contracter rifle. Ive now managed to secure a place in a syndicate and Im now looking forward and up. My next phase in my plans is to secure a bit of ground with reds, sika or even Fallow through my contacts and friends.

Now the contracter 308 floats my boat bar the heavy barrel. Since seeing the rifles in the clasifieds Ive been digging around the internet looking at different rifles/ calibres.

I know what Im wanting in the rifle and being a kilt wearing ginge (and proud of it) I have more or less decided on calibre of my second rifle but.................. My 2 options I have either no experiance of or dont like. Now lads this is where your input is required!!!

Ok Ive been looking at the 270 and 30-06. Im not a lover of the 270 it is the only rifle which Ive had discomfort when firing and Ive seen the bruising it can give down the legs even with a perfect shot (similar to the 25-06). Now that takes me to the 30-06!!! I know its basicaly the same case with a larger diameter bullet.

Now is the 30-06 a beast like the 270 with bruising and recoil or not??? Now before the chuck hawkes recoil table gets produced, Id just say Ive looked at it and have fired a 270 (un- moderated)... But I havnt fired a 30-06.

This rifle is for Reds over say clear fell or capable of Reds which cant be stalked into for various reasons.
Im also trying to keep carcase damage to a minimum. My preference would be a 308 but the profile etc Im looking at on the barrelled action isnt giving me that option just now.

Nutty

Im not a lover of the 270 it is the only rifle which Ive had discomfort when firing and Ive seen the bruising it can give down the legs.

My first thought is that you must have been holding the .270 wrongly to get bruising there: I've never even had a bruised shoulder!

My first thought is that you must have been holding the .270 wrongly to get bruising there: I've never even had a bruised shoulder!

Correct and also the same with the venerable .30-06 .
Bullet damage is largely determined by placement of the shot and the construction of the bullet/ missile/ projectile itself not the calibre used.
A correctly placed shot with a `varmint` type bullet will obviously cause more damage than a stiffer one designed for larger game.
Anyone who considers a .270 a `beast` has obviously never fired a real beast before.

HWH.

Hi , I know the problem ,I used a 30-06 for some time mostly fallow and the damage had me shooting for places on the deer which i thought would result in the least bruising the last shot with that rifle dropped the animal on the spot and was so low and far back it was almost a miss ( on the end of the sternum ) when i got the deer skinned out it was bruised from the kidnies to its ears ,result exit 06 enter 270 , but now using a 260 Rem

i have only ever shot deer with a .270 including a 28yd roe buck quartering through the front leg/heart/rib in that order. damage and meat wastage was minimal, including keeping most of the front/nearest leg

if you are getting carcase damage either change your bullet or shoot them somewhere less damaging

Have shot a 30-06 and did find the recoil a bit much - .308 is better but still not as nice as my .243... so I went for a 7mm-08 on the basis that it hits prett much the same as a .308 but with the recoil of a .243

I spoke to Mike Norris about a rifle build, and he rates the 7-08... so I felt pretty happy about my choice (he knows his stuff!)

30-06 is a pussy use the right bullet and you get no damage I have shot Roe Sika and Reds and the only time I get damage is when I shoot badly and hit the wrong part of the deer.
You can get damage with any caliber dont blame the rifle just shoot the right bullets properly.
There is plenty of advice on here to which bullets do the least damage and kill well.

30-06 is a pussy use the right bullet and you get no damage I have shot Roe Sika and Reds and the only time I get damage is when I shoot badly and hit the wrong part of the deer.
You can get damage with any caliber dont blame the rifle just shoot the right bullets properly.
There is plenty of advice on here to which bullets do the least damage and kill well.

What he said.
+ excessive recoil in your common British deer calibers is down to a bad fit or bad hold.

What he said.
+ excessive recoil in your common British deer calibers is down to a bad fit or bad hold.
30-06 is not a hard recoiling round i have fired a frends with 180g no problem i have a 7mm rem mag same thing recoil is minimal with or without moderator dont grip the gun like its going to hurt you hold it let it recoil naturaly and all youl get is a push recoil is very over rated in my book if i can fire 40rounds from a 7mm rem mag in a t shirt eney one can

I have just re stocked a BSA 270.
There is less than 4 ounces difference in the weight of the 2 stocks but what a differance it has made, it has changed from a rifle that let you know you had pulled the trigger to one that is a pleasure to shot

30-06 is a pussy use the right bullet and you get no damage I have shot Roe Sika and Reds and the only time I get damage is when I shoot badly and hit the wrong part of the deer.You can get damage with any caliber dont blame the rifle just shoot the right bullets properly.There is plenty of advice on here to which bullets do the least damage and kill well.
Cheers for that. Now using the correct bullets!!! Mmmm my old 25-06 would produce the same damage / brusing with Nosler b/tips and Speer soft points snd these were not pushed hard.. I eventually aimed farther back n punched the lungs out... On a well placed heart shot I would loose at least 1 front leg with bruising. Now I love the 25-06 thats another reason why Im looking at its sister rounds from the same case.Nutty

Hi , I know the problem ,I used a 30-06 for some time mostly fallow and the damage had me shooting for places on the deer which i thought would result in the least bruising the last shot with that rifle dropped the animal on the spot and was so low and far back it was almost a miss ( on the end of the sternum ) when i got the deer skinned out it was bruised from the kidnies to its ears ,result exit 06 enter 270 , but now using a 260 Rem
Cheers for your input.Nutty

Ive recently been inspired by the brock and norris contracter rifle. Ive now managed to secure a place in a syndicate and Im now looking forward and up. My next phase in my plans is to secure a bit of ground with reds, sika or even Fallow through my contacts and friends.

Now the contracter 308 floats my boat bar the heavy barrel. Since seeing the rifles in the clasifieds Ive been digging around the internet looking at different rifles/ calibres.

I know what Im wanting in the rifle and being a kilt wearing ginge (and proud of it) I have more or less decided on calibre of my second rifle but.................. My 2 options I have either no experiance of or dont like. Now lads this is where your input is required!!!

Ok Ive been looking at the 270 and 30-06. Im not a lover of the 270 it is the only rifle which Ive had discomfort when firing and Ive seen the bruising it can give down the legs even with a perfect shot (similar to the 25-06). Now that takes me to the 30-06!!! I know its basicaly the same case with a larger diameter bullet.

Now is the 30-06 a beast like the 270 with bruising and recoil or not??? Now before the chuck hawkes recoil table gets produced, Id just say Ive looked at it and have fired a 270 (un- moderated)... But I havnt fired a 30-06.

This rifle is for Reds over say clear fell or capable of Reds which cant be stalked into for various reasons.
Im also trying to keep carcase damage to a minimum. My preference would be a 308 but the profile etc Im looking at on the barrelled action isnt giving me that option just now.

Nutty

Hi Nutty

I have 30-06 and have shot all six species of UK Deer with it using 150grn Sako Super Hammerheads and Home load Sierra 150grn Game Kings and 150grn Pro Hunters with minimal carcass damage. Only time i have had damage is when shot taken of sticks in wind and not hit the engine room bang on. As for the .270 this calbre can be a beast unmoderated. Hope this helps you choose.

Kind regards Jimbo

Hi Nutty I have 30-06 and have shot all six species of UK Deer with it using 150grn Sako Super Hammerheads and Home load Sierra 150grn Game Kings and 150grn Pro Hunters with minimal carcass damage. Only time i have had damage is when shot taken of sticks in wind and not hit the engine room bang on. As for the .270 this calbre can be a beast unmoderated. Hope this helps you choose.Kind regards Jimbo
Cheers Jimbo. I should say now the 270 was un-moderated when I fired it many moons ago and being honest it put me off the calibre. I plan to fire my mates moderated to see if it changes my mind. Do you see the bullet strike with your 30-06? Nothing worse in my opinion squeezing a shot of, loosing site of the beast through the scope with the recoil..Nutty

Cheers Jimbo. I should say now the 270 was un-moderated when I fired it many moons ago and being honest it put me off the calibre. I plan to fire my mates moderated to see if it changes my mind. Do you see the bullet strike with your 30-06? Nothing worse in my opinion squeezing a shot of, loosing site of the beast through the scope with the recoil..Nutty

Yes you do see the strike and animal drop my 30-06 has S&B 8x56 reticle 8. Even if they do not drop on the spot they only manage a few yards even the Sika don't go far. You may like the moderated .270 but for me it's the 30-06 every time.

Kind regards Jimbo

I'm putting in for a Springfield as we speak, I've fired a .270 .308 and a 30.06 and just love the Springfield although the .308 was a tad lighter and in a short action it just didn't feel as nice as the springy so that's the way I'm going, good luck with it...

I'm putting in for a Springfield as we speak, I've fired a .270 .308 and a 30.06 and just love the Springfield although the .308 was a tad lighter and in a short action it just didn't feel as nice as the springy so that's the way I'm going, good luck with it...

Hi Mongoose

Good choise you will not be disappointed.

Jimbo

Back